It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prestigious US university hosting "Christian privilege" seminar

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck

originally posted by: JimboFish

originally posted by: intrepid
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck
I disagree. With the digital age small issues can become enlarged and scrutinized by many. Peer pressure is applied. Take the cake issue. If it wasn't for the vast scrutiny they would have been able to not bake that cake for the gay couple and little would have come of it. Today? Different story. That's why you hear all the complaining by Christians. It's not business as usual.

Here's a quick thousand words on the subject...the latest crop of White House interns...

originally posted by: DISRAELI

anyone who doesn't accept that white Christians have an automatic leg-up in our Western society isn't paying attention.

And a seminar debating that issue is necessarily opening up the question of what can be done about it- and that, as I said, is a political role.
"X has privilege" is a political statement. The fact that you agree with it does not prevent it from being a political statement. So discussing whether someone has privilege is a political function.
Attempts have already been made to address the issue. 'Affirmative Action' comes to mind (a subject so dear to many here on ATS). Now tell me, what would a conference on assessing whether or not it has been effective look like?
Jeez...talk about triggered...lol!

Looks good to me. Looks like the opposite of a prison or ghetto. Isn’t that what we should strive for? The best. Why would you want to ruin that photo with an affirmative action under performer? Will you be happy when the picture looks like a prison?

...and...the defence rests...LOL! Thanks for proving my point in so succinct a manner.

No problem. See if you can convert your win to private beach time so we can talk face to face. Maybe you aren’t as good at life as you believe?
I spend a lot of my 'private beach time' in Cuba, so that could be a problem for you. Thanks for the offer, though.

originally posted by: Irishhaf
St Patrick's day thank you very much
though most of the born and raised irish folks I have met could care less about that day, in fact many hate it because of the flood of tourists to Dublin.
For a number of reasons, I've decided that this year I'm Irish, so I thought I could get away with being all familiar and such. I stand corrected.
Guinness---->

Yes show me how to live. I want level 3 (of 4) danger private beach time in communist country. Be succinct.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Attempts have already been made to address the issue. 'Affirmative Action' comes to mind (a subject so dear to many here on ATS). Now tell me, what would a conference on assessing whether or not it has been effective look like?

It would still be a political process, whatever it looked like.
If you think it is a good thing, that doesn't answer my premise that the procedure is political.

I've never used the word "triggered" to score a debating point. How does it work?
As far as I can make out, I can say your contribution to this thread is "triggered" by the implied criticism of what left-wing people are doing.
Then my claim that you are triggered meets your claim that I am triggered and the two cancel each other out.
Pretty lame weapon really, may as well drop it from the armoury.

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: JimboFish

Oh, I'm from the US too. I just survey the major media stations regularly to see what the narrative du jour happens to be for the week.

I see. So it’s a big game we play where we know liberals are life’s losers but when we get on the internet we treat them as equal and worthy?

link   

I could care less be Irish for the day, in all honesty I think the world should take more of an irish outlook on life, but I am biased.

link   
But...what if christians have an advantage in some ways in some places? What if white people have an advantage in some places in some ways? Or men? Or more generically...

What if the majority population or demographic has an advantage just by being part of the majority demographic?

Is that not worth discussing and not dismissing out of hand?

It might not be worth discussing but it might be.

We know that people like other people who are like themselves. Thats basic human psychology. It's why salesmen try to build rapport with prospective customers...bringing up similarities and commonalities. People are more likely to buy from you if they have something in common with you.

if it's true in sales, and it is. Why wouldn't it be true in life?

You're more likely to get a promotion if you are part of the same demographic...some demographic as the hiring manager.
You're more likely to not get a ticket if you are part of the same demographic as the cop
You're more likely to get better service if you are the same demographic as the server.

Even if that demographic is you're both cubs fans or both gay or both black or both handicapped or both wne to standford etc.

That's all that white privilage is. If white are a majority in your area, you might have better social, business, legal advantages.

But if it's true for white people it's true for every demographic if your demographis is the majority.
edit on 4-4-2018 by amazing because: (no reason given)

(post by JimboFish removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Oh, I'm from the US too. I just survey the major media stations regularly to see what the narrative du jour happens to be for the week.

I see. So it’s a big game we play where we know liberals are life’s losers but when we get on the internet we treat them as equal and worthy?

I try to treat them as I would anyone else I meet on the street. Some people have good ideas, others have bad ideas or simply ideas I disagree with but that doesn't mean they don't go home to families who love them less or that they don't watch the same things on TV or enjoy the same kinds of food or play the same games, etc., that I do.

Without the knowledge of our ideological differences, I might have a ton of fun with them under other circumstances.

I always try to keep that in mind.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
But...what if christians have an advantage in some ways in some places? What if white people have an advantage in some places in some ways? Or men? Or more generically...

What if the majority population or demographic has an advantage just by being part of the majority demographic?

We know that people like other people who are like themselves. Thats basic human psychology. It's why salesmen try to build rapport with prospective customers...bringing up similarities and commonalities. People are more likely to buy from you if they have something in common with you.

You're more likely to get a promotion if you are part of the same demographic...some demographic as the hiring manager.
You're more likely to not get a ticket if you are part of the same demographic as the cop
You're more likely to get better service if you are the same demographic as the server.

Even if that demographic is you're both cubs fans or both gay or both black or both handicapped or both wne to standford etc.

I hear there’s a place called Wakanda (africa) in which blacks can hire blacks and blacks can black the blackest and nobody gives a #. Much of it is third world.

I prefer whites and putting rovers on mars but to each their own.

I think you missed the point and you do realize there are minorities working at NASA. LOL

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I try to treat them as I would anyone else I meet on the street. Some people have good ideas, others have bad ideas or simply ideas I disagree with but that doesn't mean they don't go home to families who love them less or that they don't watch the same things on TV or enjoy the same kinds of food or play the same games, etc., that I do.

Without the knowledge of our ideological differences, I might have a ton of fun with them under other circumstances.

I always try to keep that in mind.

I think it's the stereotypes that we see on TV and the interenet that are the big losers. Most liberals, and conservatives for that matter are sane and decent people in real life. I don't know a single liberal, in real life that fell to their knees screaming in agony when they found out trump won. that was just TV. The Stereotype. it's made up.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

But couldn't you just as easily say that there are times and places where people of any demographic could enjoy advantages simply for being who and what they happen to be? Is that wrong? And if it is, why?

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   

a reply to: amazing

But couldn't you just as easily say that there are times and places where people of any demographic could enjoy advantages simply for being who and what they happen to be? Is that wrong? And if it is, why?

And that was my point. Anyone who belongs to the majority demographic in their area(by area that cold mean career, job, city, state, country, university, department etc) will enjoy some advantages. Most of them really, really subtle.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

no, it's the different political agendas that would turn such a discussion in a crap storm and make it basically useless. if we could address the question in a honest and logical manner with the agendas laid aside and our only concern is ensuring that the constitutional principles that grant everyone fair and equal treatment by the gov't entities...
then, I daresay, the result might actually be somewhat constructive...
at least when it came to the students having a clearer understanding of the constitutional principles...
I also think if there was an honest and logical discussion, they would find that there is really not much that needs to be done that time itself won't take care of...

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
if we could address the question in a honest and logical manner with the agendas laid aside and our only concern is ensuring that the constitutional principles that grant everyone fair and equal treatment by the gov't entities...

It would still a political action, though. The application of the noun "privilege" to a specified group is a political statement, in the current century. (In some previous centuries, it would have been only a legal statement)

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
I disagree. With the digital age small issues can become enlarged and scrutinized by many. Peer pressure is applied. Take the cake issue. If it wasn't for the vast scrutiny they would have been able to not bake that cake for the gay couple and little would have come of it. Today? Different story. That's why you hear all the complaining by Christians. It's not business as usual.

Here's a quick thousand words on the subject...the latest crop of White House interns...

anyone who doesn't accept that white Christians have an automatic leg-up in our Western society isn't paying attention.

And a seminar debating that issue is necessarily opening up the question of what can be done about it- and that, as I said, is a political role.
"X has privilege" is a political statement. The fact that you agree with it does not prevent it from being a political statement. So discussing whether someone has privilege is a political function.

Looks good to me. Looks like the opposite of a prison or ghetto. Isn’t that what we should strive for? The best. Why would you want to ruin that photo with an affirmative action under performer? Will you be happy when the picture looks like a prison?

...and...the defence rests...LOL! Thanks for proving my point in so succinct a manner.

No problem. See if you can convert your win to private beach time so we can talk face to face. Maybe you aren’t as good at life as you believe?
I spend a lot of my 'private beach time' in Cuba, so that could be a problem for you. Thanks for the offer, though.

originally posted by: Irishhaf
St Patrick's day thank you very much
though most of the born and raised irish folks I have met could care less about that day, in fact many hate it because of the flood of tourists to Dublin.
For a number of reasons, I've decided that this year I'm Irish, so I thought I could get away with being all familiar and such. I stand corrected.
Guinness---->

Yes show me how to live. I want level 3 (of 4) danger private beach time in communist country. Be succinct.

Realising that this line of talk is totally off topic...PM me if you'd like to know more about visiting Cuba.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
if we could address the question in a honest and logical manner with the agendas laid aside and our only concern is ensuring that the constitutional principles that grant everyone fair and equal treatment by the gov't entities...

It would still a political action, though. The application of the noun "privilege" to a specified group is a political statement, in the current century. (In some previous centuries, it would have been only a legal statement)

I think privilege in this context is just a subtle social and economic advantage. It most cases it can't be proven.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   

I hear there’s a place called Wakanda (africa) in which blacks can hire blacks and blacks can black the blackest and nobody gives a #. Much of it is third world.

I think you missed the point and you do realize there are minorities working at NASA. LOL

Affirmative action in college and quotas in professional hiring means those blacks are most likely unqualified.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   

The "privileged" moniker, when applied to racial, religious or any other identity group, is a continuation of supremacist and nationalist beliefs. For example, sssuming someone is better off because they are a certain color or denomination is the result of racism.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Affirmative action in college and quotas in professional hiring means those blacks are most likely unqualified.

Nah, you know it's not always like that. Humans of all demographics can be and are intelligent enough to work at NASA. I'm white and male....really, really NOT smart enough to work at NASA. I'm destroying our demographic!

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Say...you could make a movie about that! Hidden Figures

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

The "privileged" moniker, when applied to racial, religious or any other identity group, is a continuation of supremacist and nationalist beliefs. For example, sssuming someone is better off because they are a certain color or denomination is the result of racism.

No I just proved it's a Majority demographic thing, releated to the statement that "we like people who are like ourselves"

The privilege could be that the majority demographic is we're all cubs fans or we like Heavy Metal.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join