It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prestigious US university hosting "Christian privilege" seminar

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

I disagree. With the digital age small issues can become enlarged and scrutinized by many. Peer pressure is applied. Take the cake issue. If it wasn't for the vast scrutiny they would have been able to not bake that cake for the gay couple and little would have come of it. Today? Different story. That's why you hear all the complaining by Christians. It's not business as usual.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyCanuck
anyone who doesn't accept that white Christians have an automatic leg-up in our Western society isn't paying attention.

And a seminar debating that issue is necessarily opening up the question of what can be done about it- and that, as I said, is a political role.
"X has privilege" is a political statement. The fact that you agree with it does not prevent it from being a political statement.
So discussing whether someone has privilege is a political function.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

but if it was found that one group had a significant amount of privilege not shared by anyone else shouldn't it be explored? I mean, shouldn't we try to find out why it is so, what role our gov't plays in it, what role our citizens and businesses are playing in it, weather or not something should be done to equalize the field, and if so, just what should be done??? I mean, doesn't religious freedom mean that I have the freedom not to believe the same as you and still enjoy the same benefits in society as you do?

edit on 4-4-2018 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
but if it was found that one group had a significant amount of privilege not shared by anyone else shouldn't it be explored? I mean, shouldn't we try to find out why it is so, what role our gov't plays in it, what role our citizens and businesses are playing in it, weather or not something should be done to equalize the field, and if so, just what should be done???

What you are presenting here is exactly what I said was happening. Let me remind you of the comments in my first post;

In the modern world, "privilege" means something that ought not to exist, yes? Something that ought to be taken away?
So any attempt to identify "privilege" is creating a political agenda; it involves defining a list of things that need to attacked, perhaps considering ways to approach the problem.

That is a fair description of your own suggestion that we should "find out... whether something should be done.. and if so just what should be done". As I have been saying all along, that is a political agenda. You have proved my point, and I consider myself vindicated.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313
christianity is a privileged identity in the US. that's just a fact. it's an inconvenient fact for that small minority of christians who like to pretend they and their lifestyle are under attack, but fortunately the majority of christians are loving, peaceful people who are all right with other points of view in life.

More like it's just popular right now to look at any majority and decide they have privilege just because they are a majority and then paint that as "bad."

Do you suppose people in places like Kenya look around, notice that the majority of faces over there are black and then proceed to naval gaze about the horrors of their black privilege in Kenya?

Do you wonder if the Chinese look around and see the majority of Asian faces and then naval gaze about how awful it is they have Asian privilege?

Of course not because they aren't stupid enough to acquaint being in a majority with being something evil or oppressive.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

I disagree. With the digital age small issues can become enlarged and scrutinized by many. Peer pressure is applied. Take the cake issue. If it wasn't for the vast scrutiny they would have been able to not bake that cake for the gay couple and little would have come of it. Today? Different story. That's why you hear all the complaining by Christians. It's not business as usual.

Here's a quick thousand words on the subject...the latest crop of White House interns...

originally posted by: DISRAELI

anyone who doesn't accept that white Christians have an automatic leg-up in our Western society isn't paying attention.

And a seminar debating that issue is necessarily opening up the question of what can be done about it- and that, as I said, is a political role.
"X has privilege" is a political statement. The fact that you agree with it does not prevent it from being a political statement. So discussing whether someone has privilege is a political function.
Attempts have already been made to address the issue. 'Affirmative Action' comes to mind (a subject so dear to many here on ATS). Now tell me, what would a conference on assessing whether or not it has been effective look like?
Jeez...talk about triggered...lol!
edit on 4-4-2018 by JohnnyCanuck because: indeed!

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
The more we highlight our differences and alienate various groups the more people will feel under attack and the more division we will have.

You make headway by highlighting what we all have in common, not I am a special snowflake and you must respect my differences even if I don't respect yours.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Here's a quick thousand words on the subject...the latest crop of White House interns...

"X has privilege" is a political statement. The fact that you agree with it does not prevent it from being a political statement. So discussing whether someone has privilege is a political function.
Attempts have already been made to address the issue. 'Affirmative Action' comes to mind (a subject so dear to many here on ATS). Now tell me, what would a conference on assessing whether or not it has been effective look like?

Looks good to me. Looks like the opposite of a prison or ghetto. Isn’t that what we should strive for? The best. Why would you want to ruin that photo with an affirmative action under performer? Will you be happy when the picture looks like a prison?

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
The more we highlight our differences and alienate various groups the more people will feel under attack and the more division we will have. You make headway by highlighting what we all have in common, not I am a special snowflake and you must respect my differences even if I don't respect yours.

So, did that apply on St. Paddy's as well?

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimboFish

Looks good to me. Looks like the opposite of a prison or ghetto. Isn’t that what we should strive for? The best. Why would you want to ruin that photo with an affirmative action under performer? Will you be happy when the picture looks like a prison?

...and...the defence rests...LOL! Thanks for proving my point in so succinct a manner.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   

On St. Paddy's ... everyone is Irish just like we're all Mexican on Cinco de Mayo.

Those are specific celebrations of a culture and heritage that has become a part of America, and if they're celebrated elsewhere, YMMV with them.

The problem begins when you cannot share in those things, but hold them as separate and apart and a reason to alienate ... say, cultural appropriation to wear a sombrero on Cinco de Mayo.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

St Patricks day thank you very much
though most of the born and raised irish folks I have met could care less about that day, in fact many hate it because of the flood of tourists to Dublin.

But using verbiage like privilege is going to make people combative, I mean I am technically catholic, but I am married to a pagan so I am damned by the letter of church law, so what kind of leg up does that give me.

Broad strokes against black, Asian, Hispanics etc were wrong... broad strokes against whites or Christians is also bad because everyone's life has been different everyone has seen a different level of privilege.
Nobody should be judged buy by their accident of birth they should all be judged by their character or actions if you will.

link   

...and...the defence rests...LOL! Thanks for proving my point in so succinct a manner.

No problem. See if you can convert your win to private beach time so we can talk face to face. Maybe you aren’t as good at life as you believe?

link   

Affirmative Action implies that the person admitted under the policy would be an under-performer though.

You do know what Affirmative Action is, right? It more or less says that you have to hire a certain number of people based solely on superficial characteristics completely independent of their ability to do the job just so everyone can feel good that there was no racism involved.

That means that you are possibly being kept from hiring the most qualified people because you may not always get qualified people to fill out your Affirmative Action quotas in the proper way.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Affirmative Action implies that the person admitted under the policy would be an under-performer though.

You do know what Affirmative Action is, right? It more or less says that you have to hire a certain number of people based solely on superficial characteristics completely independent of their ability to do the job just so everyone can feel good that there was no racism involved.

That means that you are possibly being kept from hiring the most qualified people because you may not always get qualified people to fill out your Affirmative Action quotas in the proper way.

Did you not read that I have already proved his point in so succinct a matter? He is a very wise man.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: JimboFish

Oh, I'm aware he thinks he's smarter than everyone else. He's liberal. It comes with the territory.

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Let me guess, the skin colors bother you?

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   

No problem. See if you can convert your win to private beach time so we can talk face to face. Maybe you aren’t as good at life as you believe?
I spend a lot of my 'private beach time' in Cuba, so that could be a problem for you. Thanks for the offer, though.

originally posted by: Irishhaf
St Patrick's day thank you very much
though most of the born and raised irish folks I have met could care less about that day, in fact many hate it because of the flood of tourists to Dublin.
For a number of reasons, I've decided that this year I'm Irish, so I thought I could get away with being all familiar and such. I stand corrected.
Guinness---->

(post by JimboFish removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: JimboFish

Oh, I'm from the US too. I just survey the major media stations regularly to see what the narrative du jour happens to be for the week.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join