It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids Today Are the Worst Ever

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: BotheLumberJack

I'm gonna see if she can do it tonight

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 05:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Well, what I really want to know is...

How did you inset your OP picture like that so you had text wrapping around it similar to a news story. (???)

That's pretty cool.

I guess I could cheat and quote the post to look for the exact syntax, but a brief explanation might help.

Okay, back on-topic; regarding previous generations...

"HEY YOU KIDS, GET OFF OF MY LAWN! I don't know what you're looking for, but you won't find it here...now GIT!!! Damn kids!!"

edit on 4/3/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky
a reply to: intrptr

Not really what I was getting at, my friend.

People across the world, and throughout time, have expected the teenaged generation to screw up the world. We're still here and still complaining about them.

It's always been about their bad attitudes, stupid styles and music that's 'just noise.'

I'd bet money that even stone age teenagers got grief about disrespecting their elders.

Oh, I got your point. My concern was more the older generation that misleads / uses the younger impressionable generations to "screw up the world" on older peoples behalf. Thats not 'okay'.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 06:59 AM
link   
well that didn't work, worked in preview.. lol

edit on 3-4-2018 by badw0lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Thank you for this thread. I tire immensely of the onslaught against the millennial generation from old people who have forgotten what its like to be young. It's especially annoying when millennials themselves by into that crap. Good history lesson right here!
edit on 3-4-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   

As much as I somewhat agree with the OP, there IS one notable difference between the youth of today and the youth of yesteryear...and it's not a good one either...

You've cited violence in your OP as being no different from decades past, and while it is true there were violent youths in generations past, the level of this violence is considerably greater with the current generation. Never before in history did we have 'kids' mass-murdering vast numbers of other 'kids'. This is new, and really isolated to the past two generations, Millenials and Generation Y-ers.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
...the level of this violence is considerably greater with the current generation.

You may want to take a look at some of the news reports from the 1800's and early 1900's where kids joined gangs like the Bowery Boys, The Dead Rabbits and The Forty Thieves and basically murdered each other daily.

edit on 3-4-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Okay, but gang violence is more one on one (i.e. gang member on another opposing gang member), and quite a bit different than one individual going into a school or a theater and shooting up the place. The key words in your post being "each other", not 'just anyone who happened to get into the line of fire'.

This was the distinction I was trying to make with my earlier post. I should have been more clear.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The generation that washed mouths out with soap whines when people put soap in their mouths. They whine that kids don't have principles but then whine more when they protest for something they believe in. And they whine that kids whine too much
what a world! Good thread

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Thank you for this thread. I tire immensely of the onslaught against the millennial generation from old people who have forgotten what its like to be young. It's especially annoying when millennials themselves by into that crap. Good history lesson right here!

Seriously.

And what's this "blame"???

Blame for what? For being young?

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

I mean you only have to think back 10 or 20 years or so and just remember the 90's. The Gen Xers were called the "Slacker Generation" and wouldn't amount to anything.

And what's this "blame"???

Blame for what? For being young?

Good question... It's not my fault I'm young still. Plus young people do dumb things. That's just reality. Why does this always shock and surprise older people? Young people don't have access to the same wisdom that older people do since they haven't lived as long.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Violence is violence. It's all bad and I don't moralize as one being worse or better than the other. Kids shouldn't be killing kids, whether in the 1800's or now. It's a sad fact that it happened and still does.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Yeah, you're right. Aristotle was an idiot. You're much better than him.

Or, maybe he was right. Maybe things have been going downhill, very gradually, but any change is greatly noticed by us, so it may appear that Aristotle et.al were exaggerating but he was still correct.

The youth are different in each generation, there's no denying that.

But even you could agree that changes involving parenting and children have been very drastic over recent decades with the inability of parents to legally discipline their children, the participation trophies, hauling parents to jail if their child misses more than 12 days of school, suspending a 5 year old for eating his sandwich into the shape of a pistol...

This stuff us unprecedented and you think its having NO effect on "kids of today?"

Here's another perspective, maybe it hasn't been a steady decline, but many ups and downs. Perhaps Aristotle made that quote during a time when child behavior (due to the many possible factors) was on a downswing?

Maybe he lived in an area where this phenomenon was happening. Maybe, thanks to his voicing his concerns, people got their act together for a few centuries. Or maybe decades haha.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

OOOOOOR maybe you are just wrong? Why does that thought never cross anyone's mind on these forums?

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   

OOOOOOR maybe you are just wrong? Why does that thought never cross anyone's mind on these forums?

What made you think that never crossed my mind?

And why would you levy that accusation at me specifically? You could just as easily have made that same reply to the OP, and it would've made the same amount of sense. Zero.

Could not I have also been correct, or, was that never a possibility? Is there something about the way I wrote my post
that makes it appear as though I believe myself incapable of error?

Cause honestly, I'm always trying to improve my style to make it more understandable for folks from All walks of life... So I would really appreciate a constructive criticism

By the way, I came back to edit my post but I'll put it here.

Aristotle's quote, at least the portion we were allowed to see, seems to be speaking of youth in general.

I don't see where he is comparing his current day's "yutes" to those from his own childhood. But perhaps that part was just left out in the interest of avoiding lengthiness, who knows?
edit on 4/3/2018 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 11:31 AM
link   

The point of the quotes was to show that we are ALL saying the same old things about the younger generation. They show that people have ALWAYS had issues with them and that the issues are behaviourally identical in every generation for 3000 years minimum. Consequently, WE were also a 'bad generation' who caused offence to the the elders. Now we're #-talking them like our elders did to us. Beautiful, eh? Human nature likes patterns.

Sure, you could be right and so could many others who specifically think it's THIS generation above all others who are bad.

Personally, it doesn't work for me. They're all as good or bad as the next one and not one generation came out of thin air, right? They're born and raised by their presumed 'betters' and elders in the societies created by several more generations. Yes, you could be right, but the prevailing rationale is some kids have always aggravated some adults.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

What made you think that never crossed my mind?

The long post rationalizing why the OP was incorrect despite all the evidence he provided tipped me off. Call it an assumption.

And why would you levy that accusation at me specifically? You could just as easily have made that same reply to the OP, and it would've made the same amount of sense. Zero.

It was directed at ATS in general. Hence why I specifically mentioned the entire forums and not just you.

Could not I have also been correct, or, was that never a possibility? Is there something about the way I wrote my post
that makes it appear as though I believe myself incapable of error?

Perhaps, but I doubt it. Kids are kids and they do dumb stuff. Parents are often exasperated by them. This is nothing new. If you have to invent narratives to continue to expand on how millennials of today are the worst generation ever after this was proven to you then you are likely wrong. Occam's Razor and all. It's not like you provided any proof you were correct.

This circles back to my point about admitting to being wrong. The OP posted a bunch of proof of his point, yet the go to counter attack is to move the goal posts and create assumptions connecting unproven causations without first considering that their stance MIGHT be incorrect. I mean, why do you need to write a bunch assumptions that MIGHT be true when it is easier to just not assume and believe the evidence given you?

Cause honestly, I'm always trying to improve my style to make it more understandable for folks from All walks of life... So I would really appreciate a constructive criticism

Ok. How about proving your point instead of just offering assumptions challenging the OP's idea?
edit on 3-4-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Aristotle's quote, at least the portion we were allowed to see, seems to be speaking of youth in general.

I don't see where he is comparing his current day's "yutes" to those from his own childhood. But perhaps that part was just left out in the interest of avoiding lengthiness, who knows?

It wasn't a case of 'allowing' anyone to see the quote. You can search the bit I used and read it in full in his work, 'Rhetoric.' It's better in full and, yes, 'lengthiness' was a factor in the extract I used. People don't tend to read much nowadays so the aim was brevity on the off-chance some would read the quotes too.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   

That's the thing, there are always wonderful humans and this crop has some standouts from my small sampling... but our ecosystem is going belly up and I see eff all being done about it ... by anyone that matters, anyway.

I think back to a dark conversation I had with a millennial-ish grad student studying climate science ... he was crying alone at the bar and I thought I'd be nice and help a jilted guy feel better, but it turns out his study group had just completed their years long project and it was grim as grim can be, and he was crying for humanity.

So... unless we have a world wide effort in the next year, or there's some authority figure in the sky willing to help, we're done. This is a bit OT but there's really nothing else to talk about. The science is in and we are doomed... likely even IF we all try and all resources are directed at the problem, but at least the young people I talk to are willing to try.

It's rather beautiful.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus The breakup of the family unit is a big part of todays problem.If you give the kids good parents you usually get good kids.Lord knows they need someone to teach them right from wrong before they get the Marxist propaganda thrown at them in high school and college

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join