It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"non" tippers are a zero sum in society

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 02:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: Vector99

a reply to: Abysha

Dunno about you, but I tip the folks at the gas stations when the weather is crappy.

I do to, I give them a tip about the weather, stay indoors.

But that is coming from a guy who (in college) would pay his rent in one dollar bills.

I knew it!

At SOME point you were a stripper.

I worked under the name, "Potted Meat".

Did you ever catch his real name?

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Dunno about you, but I tip the folks at the gas stations when the weather is crappy.

I do to, I give them a tip about the weather, stay indoors.

But that is coming from a guy who (in college) would pay his rent in one dollar bills.

I knew it!

At SOME point you were a stripper.

I worked under the name, "Potted Meat".

Did you ever catch his real name?

*sobs*

Bruce Jenner

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 02:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
The whole purpose of a tip is gone and it should have the name changed.

Forced payment is not a tip. Tipping used to make both the good worker and the customer feel good and it was not for those who were bad workers.

Or it could simply be a "hey thanks for handing me # so I can just sit here and look at my phone".

I swear, it's the older generations who are the "entitlement generation".

That is the exact attitude that gets crappy tips.

Your job as a server is to cater to the customer, not expect a tip. The tip is your reward for your service.

I served and tended bar for around a decade, was a trainer most of those years.

Tips are NOT guaranteed, the ones that tended to get lower percentage tips were the ones with piss poor attitudes, or entitlement attitudes.

Tips are earned, not given.

Lol. Keep freeloading then and letting your server's taxes subsidize your meal.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 03:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

Perfect excuse to be a snob and not tip. Try tipping someone who looks down, you might be surprised how much it cheers them up. You might learn something worldly there.

I worked for tips for about a decade. I know how it goes.

That's what every person I know who is rude to staff says. I have acquaintances I refuse to go out with because they are so embarrassing. And they invariably say something like "It's okay, I was in the service industry for years".

It's no excuse. It's more of a commentary on your personal character than your superior judgement of performance.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 03:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy
The whole purpose of a tip is gone and it should have the name changed.

Forced payment is not a tip. Tipping used to make both the good worker and the customer feel good and it was not for those who were bad workers.

Or it could simply be a "hey thanks for handing me # so I can just sit here and look at my phone".

I swear, it's the older generations who are the "entitlement generation".

That is the exact attitude that gets crappy tips.

Your job as a server is to cater to the customer, not expect a tip. The tip is your reward for your service.

I served and tended bar for around a decade, was a trainer most of those years.

Tips are NOT guaranteed, the ones that tended to get lower percentage tips were the ones with piss poor attitudes, or entitlement attitudes.

Lol. Keep freeloading then and letting your server's taxes subsidize your meal.

THIS is the exact reaction that gets bad tips.

As a former server...WHAT TAXES?

The old people in the booth aren't feeling entitled, that's the service they are paying for. They are PAYING an inflated price on a product that includes SERVICE.

You as the server have an obligation then to cater to the customer. That customer may be a crappy tipper, but the bill they pay to the restaurant allows the restaurant to hire you and be able to make tips.

Never take things for granted.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 03:07 AM
link   
I tip because table staff are usually low paid and it makes me feel good. Double win. I also tip on holiday because it helps build relationships and most destinations I go to people are earning $1 a day. Giving them $5 is going to make their day. Double win.

Humans are greedy though. Penny pinchers.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 03:07 AM
link   

So tips are obligatory?

why not just call them fees?

**Oh, to add, maybe all tipped employees should start claiming ALL of their income.

edit on 1-4-2018 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 03:12 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

OK - this tipping thing is a real weird scenario to me.

1. Whenever I am in the US, I will tip at least 20%. A few times I've given more than the entire bill as a tip - as long as they promise to keep it for themselves and not add it to the communal tip jar - I'm impressed with them, as an individual doing their job and going well beyond the confines of their job description.

2. The amount of food I get served up to me is absolutely massive in quantity - all meals, all restaurants, all places - hands down massive.

3. The price I pay for that meal is disproportionately low - very low, I'm like 'how can the owner make profit from that'.

So - massive meals + low prices = a tipping frenzy in the US due to pathetically low wages for those awesome staff cooking and serving up the massive meals.

Only in the US. IMO - employers should up the minimum wage to $12-$15 / hour - to come in line with CPI as a reliance on the goodwill of customers is too fraught with inconsistencies in weekly wages.

Anyway - excellent rant OP, I just wanted to pass along my observations from an outsiders perspective.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 03:14 AM
link   

You would like me as a customer then. I want to get out of a restaurant as quickly as possible because I can't sit still for long. I always over tip when the server has a great personality and I always tip in cash so they don't get the CC percentage fee taken out of their tip at the end of the night.

The food can suck and I still tip well as long as they have a great personality. And I appreciate when the server leans in and says "I would order or I wouldn't order ...." That in itself is tip worthy.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

The average hourly wage with tip included is around $22 per hour in the US.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Does that include the hospitality industry? The folks I've spoken to are on about half that as a base wage ($8-$10 and then tipping e/o that)?

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I typically tip above average, but if the waiter or waitress takes me for granted or neglects me because they speculate im a bad tipper i leave a note on the receipt when i sign about what a piss poor experience I had. I do feel bad for those that are above college age but too young to be earning supplementary income. I mean who really makes it a career choice to be a waiter or waitress. what a loser.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Does that include the hospitality industry? The folks I've spoken to are on about half that as a base wage ($8-$10 and then tipping e/o that)?

The $22/hr includes hourly plus tips.

They average around $22 an hour total.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 04:16 AM
link   
The "tips" threads are always entertaining. And whatever view you have I'm gonna illuminate some of y'all this axiom.

In a crowded bar, everyone waiting, when the bartender gets to me I order 2 beers, bottles/cans....$12 or whatever....I throw a $20 down say thank you sir and get out...

When I'm back for round 2 guess who gets their drinks right away...yup...me. Lol. Everyone else with their credit cards waiting to sign receipts.

Serving food is different I'm sure, but if you tip you are gonna get taken care of, no matter what/where.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 05:52 AM
link   
No tippers probably go to church and pray for you too. Rather than actually lend a hand to help, they pray. How 'fortune'-ate you are to get their prayers.

Like a plaque instead of a raise, a medal instead of a promotion, a Platinum policy, Gold rewards, miles, minutes, and ribbons...

meh

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 06:00 AM
link   
i generally tip a couple bucks. like 2-3
if my tab is 20 or if my tab is 60 i tip the same

i dont by into this percentage #. bringing my wife and i a grilled cheese and bringing my wife and i a porterhouse is the same amount of work. you dont get more cash cause i decided to eat more expensive #.

definitely not happening

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I tip. Your rant reminded me of this scene from Reservoir Dogs:

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

the video from the 3rd reply in this thread?

any debate about tipping results in some mr pink action.
as it should

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I don't tip. suck it.

We have $17 minimum wage.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 07:45 AM
link   

You tip?

I don't ask for change from a $20 if the fare is $19.90 in a taxi... is that the same as tipping?

Tipping is an American thing. I would never tip in Australia. I will compliment on good service, but they get paid enough, tips are for when you earn $3 an hour and rely on tips to even afford to live. Such as at-will-states in the US. living in the 1800's..

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join