It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"non" tippers are a zero sum in society

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: badw0lf

We tip in the UK. Although I've never had a job that depended on tips, I've worked enough city bars to appreciate them a lot.

There's a weird class system thing that happens. 'Blue collar' almost always tips and 'white collar' doesn't. The former are friendlier customers and the latter are more likely to piss and moan. They don't even like waiting their turn at bars and think it's like survival at an oasis lol. Shoulders and elbows and then waving big bills in the air like the bar staff give two good #s how much cash they have on them.

"Please Sir, please allow me to serve you a large white wine! It'll make my day sir. Cor, the family won't 'ardly believe that I've met someone with (gasp) forty whole pounds in his 'and. This only happens in the movies!!"

We call them something beginning with C that's quite a short word really.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Never been a white collar worker. Rarely been a blue collar worker.

Just been a worker.

And never ever felt the need to tip. The fact that it's becoming in vogue down here, pisses me off. We get jacked for prices everywhere, they're not getting a free cent out of me.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I value people and their time. I always tip, often way to much, it might actually make some people uncomfortable.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears
Oops. I didn't see that lol.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
a reply to: Abysha

So tips are obligatory?

why not just call them fees?

**Oh, to add, maybe all tipped employees should start claiming ALL of their income.

It's as obligatory as saying thank you when somebody feeds you in their home. Decent folks will do it, period. Like I said, it is a pretty accurate judgement of character that hasn't yet steered me wrong. And I most certainly won't involve myself in any professional way with people that don't tip. Almost always, bad tippers come with other traits that are impossible for me to work with.
edit on 1-4-2018 by Abysha because: claryfyngingngngnging.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   
It's a shame that here in the US, some places, don't pay enough base pay for someone to live in a non service industry much less the service industry. I think in Tennessee it's around 2.13-2.15/hr so of course I tip. I am honest enough to say that the amount certainly depends somewhat on the service but never below 15-20 %.
Of course I believe it's proper to tip the delivery person or hairdresser as well. I live in a small town though so I like being remembered and treated well and I like to think that my tip may have put them over the top of what they were expecting and can now get something or pay something that they may have been putting off or unable to.
After all, they are bringing my lazy butt food that I could've just made at home (not always I'm not that good of a cook!) and waiting on me, checking on me and helping to make sure that I am having a good experience while out so, the least that I can do, IMO, is tip them well.
Same at a bar or club although I don't go as often as I used to, I like my drinks the way that I like them and if you find a bartender who can do that consistently then it's worth paying for.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   

THIS is the exact reaction that gets bad tips.

No, people like you are the reason; bad tippers. Duh. I tip because somebody just did something for me, not because they kissed my ass and acted like my servant.

As a former server...WHAT TAXES?

Were you in America? You have to claim your tips and, if you don't get tipped, you have to claim a certain percentage (10% in most places I think) of the check. Thus, if you aren't tipped, that table just cost you money.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I'm another someone who was in the industry and I'm a chronic overtipper. Stopping being cheap bastards you cheap bastards.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Having worked the service industry , I have to agree with everything the OP said.

It is those certain customers who monopolize all of your precious time, sometimes at the expense of other customer’s quality service. They act like you are their own little personal maid and servant , therefore there is no rational reason to tip you.

I could handle non tippers.. no problem ( some just don’t believe in it ) .. the generous tippers always made up for the few that didn’t feel it necessary to leave a tip for whatever reason.

It’s when you know you’ve gone above and beyond to give excellent service, and they just don’t seem to care about the time or effort you put in, which stings.

These are often large groups that take up tables others would have been happy to use. Often they are family where everyone seems to assume someone else will take care of the tip. Sometimes it’s businesses, where the owner or person in charge is just too cheap .

I hear your frustration OP, but remember to keep taking pride in a service well done , despite how it may be received.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: BadBoYeed

Yup, I used to make $2.13 an hour, and my paychecks were negative $80 a week. Relied 100% on tips.

Exactly! You pay for a part of their meals. People who don't tip are near the lowest rung of society. Right next to people who litter.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha
People who don't tip are near the lowest rung of society. Right next to people who litter.

Would it be wrong to toss non-tippers out like litter? Hmmmm.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

People who don't tip are near the lowest rung of society. Right next to people who litter.

Would it be wrong to toss non-tippers out like litter? Hmmmm.

Well everybody can "reserve the right to refuse service" but non-tippers are like house guests that pee the bed; you don't even find out until they are already leaving.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

You seem to make a lot of assumptions about non tippers. Here in the UK I give to those that deserve it quite a good tip, the rest gets a few pennies. Sometimes I don't tip. It's not rude. You said it's expected like a 'thank you' when someone comes and eats in your home.

No it;s not. First of all, they can have all the 'thank yous' in the world and I am always polite but no job should rely on tips.
What you do there is help the boss to pay lower wages.
Someone else here said that they were in minus figures after getting paid and relied on tips.

In that case something is seriously wrong with the wage system. I would write to my MP and start a petition if such unfair practices were conducted in a first world country.

By allowing and demanding this to go on, you HELP the boss, you HELP never getting any better wages. I am doing you a favour by winding you up enough so that you don't just kiss ass but actually start doing something about this unfair practice.

If people NEED tips to survive and I am FORCED to pay them or else I am a scumbag, religious nazi [someone here mentioned how non tippers are probably religious and pray for you], then [like someone else here said], call them something else.

They are not 'tips' any more. They should be called "Consumer subsidised wages". In which case the owner might as well slap it on top of the price and pay proper wages.
I find calling it 'tips' in these extreme 'life or death' situations quite fraudulent.

I give tips as a reward for outstanding service. If you look miserable and throw the plate at me with a grunt you won't get it!

And yes, I have worked in the service industry myself but in Germany we got paid properly [even as a n apprentice] and tips were a welcome measure of my abilities and actually meant something to me.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Well everybody can "reserve the right to refuse service" but non-tippers are like house guests that pee the bed; you don't even find out until they are already leaving.

Well, I'm not gonna be that guy but I'm gonna be that guy, we were able to discern many of the non-tippers before they were even served based on certain genetic predispositions to be cheap bastards. Know what I mean? Of course you do.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I used to porter for the big coaches at a remote lodge in the Kimberleys.

A lot of American and German tourists.

The Americans used to tip $1-2 and the Germans was more like $5

Tight arse Americans.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
Tight arse Americans.

You should have served them a plate of Death Adders.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Know what I mean? Of course you do.

i dont.
can you explain it

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Well, I'm not gonna be that guy but I'm gonna be that guy, we were able to discern many of the non-tippers before they were even served based on certain genetic predispositions to be cheap bastards. Know what I mean? Of course you do.

Europeans and Canadians... I know what you mean. "In my home country, everybody gets paid more, has free health care, and gets a heavily-subsidized higher education... so I'm going to pretend you do as well and not help you make up for all that crap you don't have".

If they can't afford to tip in a #hole country like ours, stay home!
edit on 1-4-2018 by Abysha because: grammar

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
i dont.
can you explain it

There are certain ethnicities that are genetically predisposed to be non-tippers. This is a scientific fact.

I remember having a Reservoir Dogs type conversation with one of my friends who had this genetic issue and insisted that tipping wasn't right with all of us then having to kick in to cover his cheap ass.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   

If they can't afford to tip in a #hole country like ours, stay home!

Right?

We don't want you here, you're only gonna get gun-violenced anyway.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join