It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"non" tippers are a zero sum in society

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
If you had your hair cut by the owner of several hair salons would you tip them?

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666
a reply to: Abysha

By allowing and demanding this to go on, you HELP the boss, you HELP never getting any better wages. I am doing you a favour by winding you up enough so that you don't just kiss ass but actually start doing something about this unfair practice.

If you truly didn't want to support "subsidized wages", don't eat there in the first place. Paying the boss but not the server isn't going to teach the boss a lesson, lol. What kind of logic is that? That's just self-righteous justification. Screwing over your server isn't a brave stand against the boss nor some moral high ground; it's nothing more than you getting in the way of them paying their bills.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Death adders? Nah, frogs in the toilets was enough for a lot of them.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
If you had your hair cut by the owner of several hair salons would you tip them?

I do and I do.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Isn't that just because you are just programmed to tip and cannot choose to do otherwise?

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
Death adders? Nah, frogs in the toilets was enough for a lot of them.

That's too funny, everyone knows Australia doesn't have indoor plumbing...

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Isn't that just because you are just programmed to tip and cannot choose to do otherwise?

No, it's because I'm not a cheap bastard.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

No, it's because I'm not a cheap bastard.

Well that is what you like to believe - but really you cannot do different because you are programmed.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Well that is what you like to believe - but really you cannot do different because you are programmed.

Oh, you caught me!!!

It's not that I do well and let to spread it around, it's really the Illuminaughty gots to me and reprogrammed my coconut. Hur-dur.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

There are certain ethnicities that are genetically predisposed to be non-tippers. This is a scientific fact.

im still not sure.
are they also predisposed to run fast as # and dont fake the funk on a nasty dunk
or
do they play hockey like super good?
ahahahahah

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Maybe, and some of them maybe own convenience stores. Maybe.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

a reply to: TinySickTears

Maybe, and some of them maybe own convenience stores. Maybe.

i didnt think of that
i wasnt thinking basketball or hockey either

i was thinking of home depot in texas

pheeeeew
glad i was wrong

edit on 1-4-2018 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I just wanted to thank everyone for the replies.

I also wanted to add the origin and inspiration for the bad tipper rant.

I am a driver /foreman for a large moving company.

Yesterday I came into work 4 hours early. Someone called out and I picked up their slack as a favor to everyone working that day. It really messes things up.

I had to get gas for my truck with MY money and save my receipt until my next working day for repayment. I was out with my truck late the night before and missed the big gas truck that comes by our main lot to refuel the fleet.

I had left my house with a bare minimum of cash. Its not safe to have a lot on you considering how many truck drivers get robbed.

So I do my daily work, someone else's work and then at the end of the day I volunteered again to help someone out. This time a customer who was in a bind. This was not my customer mind you. Just some stuck Beotch with a problem that NEEDED ME.

This person had 5 moving companies attempt to do her move. It seamed like it was nightmarish. I cant imagine the ungodly hell this MASSIVE, complicated move entailed for the poor souls that did it. I know it was bad.

I was there to move the final 2 pieces. A huge custom sofa that a third party specialized service had to disassemble and a large HEAVY item of custom furniture that also needed specialized service.

This is a penthouse in Manhattan going to a penthouse in Manhattan. High Rise buildings in the heart. The owners of the building or J-Lo could be the neighbors. Who knows. Its like that.

This POS custom furniture was easily a 4 man carry and all I have with me is a scrawny guy who is tired himself after a long day. This was not an easy thing.

We get it done. FLAWLESSLY. Absolute white glove service. Pro isht. We even did some extra stuff that was requested of us. Assholes asked more of us and didnt give more. I could have said no to the extra and stuck my tail up.

The woman put her hand in her pocket when we were done and I went to get her signature for the bill and just slowly withdrew it. She smiled and spit a thank you my way. And we were gone.

The technician rebuilding her POS weirdo furniture got our tip probably. I even helped him since he was struggling and couldnt do his job alone. I could have bounced on their asses. I helped them out.

We "grunty" movers were doing too simple a task to give us even fiver as a thank you.

I saw her make the choice. She literally touched my money and said F U mentally as she proceeded to not tip us.

My first job was almost a charity case. A guy in Puerto Rico lost everything and was in a shelter in NY. He was getting his sisters stuff since she was leaving NY.

It was all going to a storage for him paid for by her. She wasnt wealthy. She couldnt tip us after paying the bill. I gave her 120% as far as quality and care and felt great about it. I even worked harder to save her money.

Second job gave 30 bucks. Ok. Low, very low, but he chose to give what he deemed fair. That still felt good.

This third and final job SHOULD have been the one to impress little old me with some cash. Instead I walked out of their BS life refusing to ever do someone like that a favor ever again. I can turn down jobs with no problem.

I already told my bosses that I dont do jobs for VIP, high maintenance people, and I will now tell them I dont want to even help them as a favor.

Next one of them to call asking me if I can fix someone elses screw up gets turned down.

I wont meet the few nice ones I guess. Sucks.
Oh well, this is work. Money is money right!

Thanks again everyone.
Have a good one.

edit on 4 1 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Do you not support calls for businesses to just pay a decent wage in the first place?
I've a few friends in the business and the staff earn okay without tips.
Most people do tip though if the service is worth it. The payment system in the US for servers just seems like exploitation of workers to me, are you like the only country in the world that deliberately pay low wages because of tips?
Glad we don't have that here.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Tipping is a 'how much are you willing to pay to look like a nice guy tax'. Taxed to not be a 'cheap bastard'.
Tipping should be about making sure that who serves you does a good job - if a good or exceptional job is done then tip accordingly.
But to add on extra regardless is just a joke!

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

There are certain ethnicities that are genetically predisposed to be non-tippers. This is a scientific fact.

im still not sure.
are they also predisposed to run fast as # and dont fake the funk on a nasty dunk
or
do they play hockey like super good?
ahahahahah

In my experience it's a healthy mix of everyone that don't tip, all colors and classes. It's mostly people who just aren't good with ordinary people skills.

I've noticed the people who tip me are the ones who like to engage in conversation, make chit-chat. It's just something that goes with personability. Putting yourself in someone else's shoes is something a lot of people can't or won't do--and that's probably where tips come from.

I had a friend a long time ago who, when we went out to eat, wouldn't even leave a single dollar on the table. Long story short, we're not friends anymore. Maybe that's why women don't like a cheap date; it might be indicative of other lacking character traits.

edit on 1-4-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
The payment system in the US for servers just seems like exploitation of workers to me...

Only anecdotal since it's from my own experience but the servers in my restaurants made well over the minimum wage and could clear hundreds in a single shift.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Who said to do that Mr. Strawman?

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
The payment system in the US for servers just seems like exploitation of workers to me...

Only anecdotal since it's from my own experience but the servers in my restaurants made well over the minimum wage and could clear hundreds in a single shift.

Ah that's good to read

I guess it's the way forward to keep hold of good staff.

posted on Apr, 1 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Who said to do that Mr. Strawman?

Insisting on tipping is adding extra to the price - don't you insist on tipping?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join