It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

30Kgs of plutonium missing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Britain's civil nuclear installations is expected to reveal that the quantity of plutonium was classified as "material unaccounded for"

Link

Scarry stuff this ..what does ever one has ?? would the real count be made true ??

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Thats scary you expect to hear this stuff from Russia not the UK
I know in Russia the people making plutonium often had two different books and always kept alittle extra off the real books so if they fell short on their quotas they could have some extra to cover it.

[edit on 17-2-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:43 AM
link   
ShadowXIX
mate i never knew that thank you for that ..interesting

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Wow Shadow, that's insane, I never knew that before. As for the missing Plutonium, that's a little scary, but then again, human error must come into play as well. Perhaps, there was error in calcuation, or better yet, misplacement.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
It is nothing unusual, the press as usual has sensationalised the
statement. Sellafield processes 1000s of tons of nuclear material per year, when the material arrives an ESTIMATE of the amount of plutonium amongst the waste is made (this is very very hard to do accurately). Sometimes they get more plutonium out of the waste than predicted which has happened in the past and of course sometimes they get less than the initial estimate which is what has happened this year with a shortfall of 30 kilos. No material is missing.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Well as you know, these types of actions happen. Especially when your security is lacking and is not doing a decent job of patrolling the area in Sellafield. Yes, you wouldn't believe it to be Britain, but it can happen to almost any country that lacks their national security. A prime example is Russia. You hear at least once or twice a year, some kilos of nuclear material missing in Russia. Since the Soviet Union broke apart in 1991, their main problem has always been loose material. But it can happen to almost any country if one is not patrolling the areas where that type of material is located. It can happen to the United States. But, our national security is advanced and sophisticated enough to where that will most likely not happen second to none. It has happened before, but as time went by with enforcing tighter security in areas that have nuclear material, it will be a challenge for one to steal it.

dh

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Most of it has probably been washed into the Irish sea as illegal discharge and come ashore and entered peoples lungs and digestive systems causing upsurges in lung and other forms of cancers, in Britain and Ireland, as well as increasing teratogenic effects in increasing rates of genetic defects.
Most of which can happily be blamed on people's personal bad habits (smoking, drinking) and diets by 'scientific' studies
Sellafield/Springfield - not much difference

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I fail to see your point.

dh

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
The point is that you appear to see a well-wrapped security-ridden state as providing safety, the fact is that lacksidaisical profit-motivated standards will kill us all
As if the NWO types could give a damn
Get real

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
You still retian that pain-in-the-ass quality which drives me bezerk! First of all you go on talking about the nuclear material being washed in the damn sea which can harm peoples lungs and all that crap, what damn proof do you have that they have done that? What you need to do is put the words, "in my opinion" after your sentence. Because that is nothing but a lmae opinion that would come from a science-fictional type of individual who is nothing more than a flake. You open your eyes and look at reality. If it were to be in the sea, then how in the hell would it get into our lungs? Maybe yours since you swim with the fish!

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Hey, getting nuked wouldn't be so bad. Stop Worrying and learn to Love the Bomb!

Being of Now

dh

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
It gets washed up on the beach the wind blows, the lungs breath in, the sandwiches get sand in them, the plutonium sits in the body, one microgram in fifteen years sits there and results in cancer or whatever
It's not so difficult to understand

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Or DH it could be as the man says, there was 30 kg less plutonium than expected.

Shall we keep tradeing theories]/b] about what might have happened?

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Hey, me wannabe terrorist is going to hold plastic bag in front of Sellafield drainage pipe and gather the nuclear discharged plutonium
I am going to use coffeefilters to seperate the the Pu from the Cesium....

[edit on 18-2-2005 by Countermeasures]

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Yeah, a pretty good experiment I should say!! LOL. Get real! Or if you really want to be science-fictional, as you know the British is number one on their tea, maybe you could place plutonium in a tea bag and let it stream on through the sea. It's amazing how you guys make things up these days. You all should be movie writers and get some good ones out!

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 05:33 AM
link   
i read in an article in local newspaper, that it was probably just a "counting error", that happened, and that there is really no plutonium missing.

i guess we will never know...

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ufo3
It is nothing unusual, the press as usual has sensationalised the
statement. Sellafield processes 1000s of tons of nuclear material per year, when the material arrives an ESTIMATE of the amount of plutonium amongst the waste is made (this is very very hard to do accurately). Sometimes they get more plutonium out of the waste than predicted which has happened in the past and of course sometimes they get less than the initial estimate which is what has happened this year with a shortfall of 30 kilos. No material is missing.

Did anybody even read this? There is no 'missing' material!

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Yes. But you get all kinds of stories in these types of situations. They aren't positive if it was stolen or inaccurate measurements, but what they say is inaccurate measurements.

[edit on 2/18/2005 by BJonesLHS]

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
the main thing is, we are still 30Kg of plutonium short, thats about 6 nukes worth, i dont know what im paying my taxes for, what a waste, i hope they take the miss calculated short fall out of somebodys wages. LOL.

posted on Feb, 19 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   
They probably will. If you are causing the entire country to go on full alert due to a lack of your measurements, I imagine so that they will start some deductions in those wages!

join