It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone feel like civilization is dead?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

oh, do you only pay attention to the top ten hits?

seek and ye shall find

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: makemap

Are you living in a cave fearing for your next meal, naked, afraid and not sure if you'll live through the cold night? No? Then civilization isn't dead.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: fiverx313
a reply to: NthOther

oh, do you only pay attention to the top ten hits?

seek and ye shall find

To be honest, the whole "art is dead" meme is overdone. Even within pop culture art is still innovative. Sure there is a lot of recycled garbage but that stuff helps make the good stuff stand out all the better. People who usually say stuff like this tend to have low levels of art appreciation anyways. I used to say that music was dead back in the 90's. Then I grew up and learned the joys of complex music or even simple music. If I were to discount the last 50 years of music then how can I appreciate bands like The Talking Heads, Dave Matthews, Kings of Leon, or Tom Petty?

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I couldnt agree more with your sentiments - as long as you drop your thinking that its ok to take other peoples property without compensation like you did the in the other thread the other day, I think this is one of your better critiques.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Growing up outside Detroit,it was apparent that many people choose to reject civilization and the rule of law. They don't believe the laws apply to them, yet they are entitled to receive free stuff from the government. These beliefs are passed form one generation the next, until they believe laws don't apply, they don't have to respect police officers, and can shoot each other with no remorse...For these people, civilization was never alive.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

Ignore the scientists on political civilizations, they don't even know what they are talking about, Type 1, type 2 junk. They are 100% wrong. They think we are an experiment to them. They've already sold us out. We need the inventors back like Tesla, old Ford whom passed away long time ago, or Thomas Edison.

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: fiverx313

Art that resembles upchuck on a sidewalk isn't "Art".

posted on Mar, 23 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap
a reply to: AlienView

Ignore the scientists on political civilizations, they don't even know what they are talking about, Type 1, type 2 junk. They are 100% wrong. They think we are an experiment to them. They've already sold us out. We need the inventors back like Tesla, old Ford whom passed away long time ago, or Thomas Edison.

OMG. If you knew anything about Edison you wouldn't be clamoring for his return. Edison was a business man who stole other people's patents and claimed them as his own. He was a thug who made a literal shaming campaign against Tesla's idea of AC current by literally killing an elephant all because he wanted to promote DC current (AC current won in the end anyways because its SOOO much more practical). He literally hired thugs to strong arm the up and coming movie industry into paying copyright royalties, so they fled to the other coast outside the reach of Edison and his thugs and created Hollywood. I literally cannot think of a redeeming feature of this man that I'd want to praise him as a quality inventor.

posted on Mar, 24 2018 @ 10:47 AM
link   
We're in the postmodernist version of the Late Roman Era decline. Decadent sensual culture, feminine-oriented society, complacent attitudes about our role in world (on an individual level and on a national/socio-cultural level), the complete undermining of virtue and moral imperatives, a stagnant consumerist economy.... all the ingredients are there, we just need the invading hordes of economically marginalized barbarians and a complete economic meltdown. It'll come soon enough.

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Talorc
We're in the postmodernist version of the Late Roman Era decline. Decadent sensual culture, feminine-oriented society, complacent attitudes about our role in world (on an individual level and on a national/socio-cultural level), the complete undermining of virtue and moral imperatives, a stagnant consumerist economy.... all the ingredients are there, we just need the invading hordes of economically marginalized barbarians and a complete economic meltdown. It'll come soon enough.

I do believe the barbarians are already internal. They are called gangs, they just haven't recruit enough to be horde.

Who wants to be the first to revive the Huns/Nordic/Celt culture? I'll join.
edit on 25-3-2018 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2018 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Competition is a must. Thomas Edison did the right thing and proved AC is more dangerous than DC. Imagine everything run by AC? There is simply no safety implemented. If everything is run by AC though a lot of thing would be electrocuted death by now.
edit on 25-3-2018 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: makemap

Competition is a must. Thomas Edison did the right thing and proved AC is more dangerous than DC. Imagine everything run by AC? There is simply no safety implemented. If everything is run by AC though a lot of thing would be electrocuted death by now.

Everything IS ran by AC...

Also, what Edison did wasn't "competition", it was bullying and intimidation.
edit on 26-3-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2018 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Yes , it Died in the Late 1960's . Civilization Today is so Dysfunctional , that our Very Survival as a Dominant Species on this Planet is Now in Question ...........

Example -

The Normalcy of the not so Distant Past compared to Today ..........

What is Present Society trying to say here ?

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Yes , it Died in the Late 1960's . Civilization Today is so Dysfunctional , that our Very Survival as a Dominant Species on this Planet is Now in Question ...........

Lol. Hyperbole much? What other species is neck and neck with us and about to kick us off the list as the most dominant species? And what does that have to do with those two pictures you posted?

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I always ask myself when people fearmonger like that, "If we're losing, then who's winning?". It really puts their "We're doomed!" spiels into context.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Yeah the amount of cognitive dissonance needed to even suggest this OP is outstanding... Don't they realize that no matter how much negativity they read in the news that we are looking at one of the least violent periods in ALL of human history? But if they had their way they'd tear it all down, which would directly result in all the violence escalating again. And then to prove this ridiculous "theory" of theirs it always comes down to posting anecdotes of people behaving in ways they disprove (see the post 2 above ours that kicked this convo off between us for a perfect example).

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 08:07 PM
link   

" What other species is neck and neck with us and about to kick us off the list as the most dominant species? "

No other Species , we will cause our Own Extinction if we continue on the Present Path we are on Now .

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Maybe they don't know what "civilization" means? Or practically anything about history? I'd rather be in 2018 America than in 1918 America any day because they were far less "civilized" back then. Back then, they still had human zoos, minstrel shows, WW1, legally enforced racial segregation, "lynching postcards", the 1918 global flu pandemic that ended up killing 50-100 million people, crappy healthcare, crappy labor laws, no real social safety net, etc.

The fact that we can sit around in our leisure time or while on the clock and chat w/people around the world about whims like this is proof enough that civilization isn't dead. And by that, I mean that if we were living "hand to mouth" in lawless, poverty stricken regions of the world, we could rightfully complain that civilization was dead or dying. But it's pretty ridiculous to be living in highly developed countries while enjoying modern amenities, yet complaining that civilization is dead.

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

No other Species , we will cause our Own Extinction if we continue on the Present Path we are on Now .

How so? Healthcare, medicinal knowledge, and nutritional knowledge are at the highest level they've ever been and they're only improving. The standard of living today is higher than it's ever been globally, and that's improving too. The amount of food produced is at its highest levels, the amount of knowledge available to the masses is at its highest, and the global human lifespan is at its longest. People can now have successful heart and lung transplants. How amazing is that?

And did I mention that the global population continues to skyrocket? How are we on the path to extinction when there are more humans now than at any other time in humankind's history? That would be like saying that flies in Australia or rats in NYC are going extinct because they're numbers are increasing so much... ETA: To put this in perspective, it supposedly took all of recorded history up until 1805 for 1 billion humans to have been born (HERE). But we're at 7.5 billion now and with no end in sight.

edit on 3-4-2018 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Biological Warfare , Nuclear Weapons , Meteor of Comet Impact , Pole Shift , ..........you get the Idea Now ?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join