It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For $15,000, GrayKey promises to crack iPhone passcodes for police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   
www.zdnet.com...

this palm-sized box can break your iPhone's password, giving police full access to a device's file system -- messages, photos, call logs, browsing history, keychain and user passwords, and more

Grayshift wasn't widely known until Forbes blew the lid on the company earlier this month -- likely because the company's main clientele are police departments and local law enforcement divisions.

But little is publicly known about the company, including its flagship product, GrayKey, a $15,000 unlock tool that promises in marketing materials to be able to obtain the passwords on iPhone 5s devices and newer. The box is said to be able to tap into even the latest iPhone 8 and iPhone X handsets, running the latest iOS 11 software.

so theyre selling this mostly to the coppers for 15k. damn
anyone heard of this before?

That password gives the GrayKey operator full access to the device's file system (messages, photos, call logs, browsing history, keychain and user passwords -- everything).

watch the incriminating # you put on your phone kids.
the federalis can crack it in 3 days time. all they have to do is get into the evidence locker and pull 15k out of nino brown's evidence box and thats all she wrote

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Yet another 4th amendment violation by our government. In my opinion, if you have something locked (physically or electronically) then law enforcement should need to get a warrant.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Yet another 4th amendment violation by our government. In my opinion, if you have something locked (physically or electronically) then law enforcement should need to get a warrant.

yeah im with you on that

if the cops bought this # and cracked your phone and then formed some case or made an arrest based of that data couldnt some lawyer get it tossed?
i would think.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   
How much would they charge to hack the local PDs personnel database?

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears

yeah im with you on that

if the cops bought this # and cracked your phone and then formed some case or made an arrest based of that data couldnt some lawyer get it tossed?
i would think.

Yep. There have been cases of police arresting people for content found on their devices and then being forced to let them go after not having had a warrant to search.
I imagine this device is more so for the kinds of cases where the suspect is whisked away by an intelligence agency and never heard from again.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   

All they need is a warrant. They can get that usually if they have probable cause..

posted on Apr, 4 2018 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

remote erase your phone using apps from play store. load it on phone so if your phone gets stole no fret with said app remote access phone and wipe all data restoring it to factory defaults problem solved its your phone if you delete it while in there custody how could they prove it?

top topics

join