It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romans in America

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I was reading "Rule by Secrecy" a popular conspiracy book and I came across a few sections talking about Pre Columban european contact with america. The book stated that roman artifacts such as amphoras,coins, and military items were unearthed in the US. There also seems to be something like 11th century( middle age dress ) carvings of europeans and a christian cross in the North east.
I guess its possible that a ship sailing for brittania or such could have gotten pushed out by a storm and some romans landed here, although these artifacts were said to be found all the way in Arizona
doesnt make sense to me. Im sure some native americans would have passed down stories about these white guys with shiny hats.
Seems to me to be hoaxish, or that a collector of such goods may have brought them over, died, and his collection dug up years later. What have you guys read or heard about this and what is your explanation. peace.

PS. kinda reminds me of "National Treasure."

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
In Brazil there is a place known as the Bay of Jars. In this bay divers have for some time been finding jars of Roman make.

Its interesting to note that explorer and archeologist Thor Heyerdahl, had successfully traveled from Africa to Barbados on his second attempt in a boat made of papyrus reeds. A page about Thor Heyerdahl.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 08:33 PM
link   
im gonna look into the brazil bay of jars. might be going to brazil for a jiu jitsu tourney so perhaps i will check it out. sounds promising

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I have seen pics of Roman columns underwater in the caribbean. But this is said to be ship balast that was just dumped overboard.

First time I saw pictures of it though I was shocked thought they found proof of Atlantis or something.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Never underestimate sailors. One woman can make it by herself, and the ancient sailing ships and canoes were capable of the voyage if just one Captain said 'make it so'. In either direction.

posted on Feb, 16 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
They did find Cocaine in Mummies from Egypt so some type of trade must have been going on across the Atlantic.

Did they ever explain that one yet?

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   
You want to see better proof. Watch the US House of representatives, on TV. On the back wall are two "FASCES" or the axe and bundle of rods that signified a magistrate's authority to scourge and execute. Any one who has seen or s familar with Spartacus will know exactly what I'm typing of.

See link below for clarity.

Hidden in plain sight.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Anyone ever hear of the one were archeologists supposedly found a wooden artifact in rome that was made from american birch. That and striking hairdos from greek women dating from 4000 bc that look stikingly similiar to what the mayans used to wear.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 11:38 AM
link   
There are actual murals & carvings in South America showing bearded Caucausion men with European features, some murals show dark skinned Aztecs sacrificing white skinned humans. There are also huge stone moneuments depicting the Olmec civilization who were clearly African. The serpent God Quazeletoca (spelling) was white, bearded and blue eyed. The dragon boats they spoke of must have been Viking ships.
There still is an arguement in Academic circles about the Vikings coming to America before Columbus even though there is a world heritage site of a Viking settlement in NewFoundland Canada.
Even when speaking with actual Inuit peoples, Canada researches have come to the conclusion that the Iniut have only been in North america since 600 A.D. They initially came over and spread accross Northern Canada trying to establish trade routes with Greenlander Vikings. The Inuit mytholgy even speak of red haired timid humans already occupying North america when they came over but the wiped them out. I saw this show on PBS with host Alan Alda from the Mash TV show. It's suppossedly legit.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:18 PM
link   
BattleofBatoche I saw a statue that was much like that in S America. It was of a Bearded man though I guess you could argue he was not Caucausion since there was no color though his features to me it appeared so. But the interesting part was he had a book in his hand,complete with metal latches this was no doubt a book.

The thing is the people of the time and place of that statue had no books at all.

I wonder if this statue could have been of one of the "Plumed serpents" that was reported in their legends to teach people of the area all kind of things, from agriculture to geometry, from art to laws.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
You want to see better proof. Watch the US House of representatives, on TV. On the back wall are two "FASCES" or the axe and bundle of rods that signified a magistrate's authority to scourge and execute. Any one who has seen or s familar with Spartacus will know exactly what I'm typing of.

See link below for clarity.

Hidden in plain sight.

And how does this prove precolumbian Roman contact with America?

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Oh, BTW, what Clive Culser novel is this from?

I know that “Serpent” was about Phoenicians and Columbus. Didn’t he write one with Abe Lincolns body in the middle of the Sahara and Roman artifacts in Texas? I forget, they are all the same after a while.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Son of the lost maji
I was reading "Rule by Secrecy" a popular conspiracy book and I came across a few sections talking about Pre Columban european contact with america. The book stated that roman artifacts such as amphoras,coins, and military items were unearthed in the US.

I don't know of any. I'm somewhat familiar with the material (and I'm a Roman civilization junkie) but never heard any of that.

There also seems to be something like 11th century( middle age dress ) carvings of europeans and a christian cross in the North east.

haven't seen that, either. There's lots of faked stuff, though.

oesnt make sense to me. Im sure some native americans would have passed down stories about these white guys with shiny hats.

More to the point, they'd have been drawn in petroglyphs and pictographs (as the Europeans were when they came here.) I'm pretty familiar with this stuff and can say that the only "guys in dresses" type material is all of priests, and it's all within the last 500 years.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
yeah i dont know, its so interesting to me. i would think it would rewrite alot of the history books if they found out that this was happening. I know alot of the native americans prophecized about white men coming and taking lands and destroying their families. I was wondering if maybe they encountered a few and guessed (prophecized) that more would come.

Also i heard about egyptian cave hieros in Australia that say the writer was shipwrecked and stuck in australia when a strom blew him off course. He said he was going to die. fascinating.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark

Just trying to show how it lives on today, if any of the "secret society" theories are true. Why would a modern American government use symbols from thousands of years ago, it's just a piece of the lost puzzle.

Can you show how it disproves it?

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
The fasces was also on the design of the reverse of the Mercury dime, the predecessor to the current Roosevelt dime.

[edit on 2/17/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Son of the lost maji
I was reading "Rule by Secrecy" a popular conspiracy book and I came across a few sections talking about Pre Columban european contact with america.

I read that, but it mostly focused on Templar exploration. Supposedly there was a small group of Templar who crossed the Atlantic back then. What do you mean by "Roman?" The only conclusion I can come up with is the fact that Rome was back then, and still is, a important Catholic city, and maybe they just brought some junk from Rome with them.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
There's a book entitled "They All Discovered America", not sure of the author at the moment, which describes how many cultures reached the Americas at some point in time, including the Chinese, Japanese, Romans, Phoenicians, Welsh, Irish, Vikings, Africans, Egyptians, etc.

A highly interesting subject; I'm doing research on the Welsh part of it right now.

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR

Originally posted by HowardRoark

Just trying to show how it lives on today, if any of the "secret society" theories are true. Why would a modern American government use symbols from thousands of years ago, it's just a piece of the lost puzzle.

Can you show how it disproves it?

What you aren't tracking is how educated they were.

Now, you grew up in a different generation than I did. Remember that the founders are the elite educated and that they read things like Caesar's Commentaries in the original Latin. Consider this:

In the eighteenth century, the fasces received a second life, when the young United States and republican France started to use ancient Roman symbols. Both were progressive revolutionary nations that imitated the Roman republican constitution.

www.livius.org...

They were familiar with the original Roman story, showing that an individual stick can be broken but a group of sticks is hard to break; the original "united we stand, divided we fall" concept. So when they needed a strong symbol related to a democratic republic, they borrowed from the old Romans.

It was not a reference to Romans in the US.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Finding that link was pretty awsome of you, pretty much sums up the history of the object.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join