It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home purchase is so much harder for young people than it was 20 years ago

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Wow sounds rough!
We had heavy snow yesterday but I'm pleased to say nobody was sleeping outdoors, same as every night it's been below zero this winter, the community provides a warm space under a roof. It ain't luxury but it's warm showers, fresh clothes, hot food, and a safe place to sleep. I happily pay more taxes for that.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy

Wow sounds rough!
We had heavy snow yesterday but I'm pleased to say nobody was sleeping outdoors, same as every night it's been below zero this winter, the community provides a warm space under a roof. It ain't luxury but it's warm showers, fresh clothes, hot food, and a safe place to sleep. I happily pay more taxes for that.

Ever tried a shelter?

Here in the states they are miserable. You have to line up early in the day to get in, they only open in the afternoon, they cost money to stay a night, sleeping in a huge dorm filled with cots. If you leave your stuff unattended it will be rifled, people paw at you in your sleep, carry disease, the shower will give you athletes foot, the next morning they kick you out early, and you are go around front and line up again.

No thanks. Bridges are so much more 'safe'. Its the cops and city workers the only threat out there.

Nowadays they have razor wire under bridges, patrol the tracks at night with blazers, guns and dogs, arresting people for 'trespassing' , detention, hearing and fines for being poor.

I'm really fortunate to be indoors at the time, I have a 'purpose' now, lol.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Same in the UK, land and property has never decreased in value.

They have, although clearly the trend is up over time. House prices have fallen recently in London and elsewhere, as the LINK (the Week) explains.

Also #1, in the early 90's (if I recall) negative equity was a terrible thing for people locked in houses that had fallen in value.

Also #2, the price of agricultural land has been falling recently.

Prices do go down. With cheap farmland and a compliant government we can see our countryside being concreted over. Oh, what joy.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Wow, it's major different here where I am, our shelters are well run and safe places for people in need.
It is why we have 'refugees' from other parts of the UK, but again, I don't mind, I wouldn't want anyone freezing to death in my town.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Agreed in the very short term, but any timescale longer than a few years and property/land just continues to rise...and at a rate higher than UK wages unfortunately.

posted on Mar, 19 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Sounds like hell to me. I don't mind a bit of work even though its given me high blood pressure. I'd rather work and plan and have a nice house and some toys to play with in retirement plus go visit some nice places. I get you about the homeless tag, but in Ft Walton Beach, they were getting really aggressive with the tourists so they had to go, and good I say.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Wow, it's major different here where I am, our shelters are well run and safe places for people in need.
It is why we have 'refugees' from other parts of the UK, but again, I don't mind, I wouldn't want anyone freezing to death in my town.

I'm so gland your little corner of the world takes such good care of its people, more power to you.
Its easier in a 'town', I hail form a multicultural Megalopolis, care is short, abuse rampant.
But this is Murica, we abuse everyone.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

I'd rather work and plan and have a nice house and some toys to play with in retirement plus go visit some nice places.

Follow your programming, earn spend consume.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   

More power to the volunteers and people on the ground who make it happen, I just donate food at the drop off points.
There's no doubt that the number of people without homes has increased dramatically over recent years, and with rising house prices it is only set to continue.
You paint a rather tragic picture of America, but I know from friends that there are lovely places as well.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

How would you know, you live in the UK, in a home.
Good on you aiding people directly. Next time you see one, hand him a few notes, they will bless you.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

I'd rather work and plan and have a nice house and some toys to play with in retirement plus go visit some nice places.

Lol you tragically still have to pay to play. Even in a self sufficient lifestyle there is still work to do like planting crops, milking cows, chopping wood etc. Personally I haven't been an employee for many years now, I'm self employed and choose my days/hours to work depending on what I need/want to pay for.
You got any suggestions on how I pay for my internet, food, clothes, roof over my head, etc without carrying out some activity which results in a token of exchange I can use in transactions with others?

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   

How would you know, you live in the UK, in a home.
You saying there are no nice places left in the US then?

Good on you aiding people directly. Next time you see one, hand him a few notes, they will bless you.
I generally do stop, offer a smoke, chat, and whatever I can afford. I haven't forgotten my own experiences of sleeping on the streets, I'd almost say the loneliness and lack of human contact was worse than the cold.
edit on 20-3-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: typo

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Must be nice to live in a world where nothing tragic bad ever happens to disrupt your 'plans'.

The world takes care of its own.

Get disabled by an accident, lose a job, fall behind in payments, get evicted, live in hotels, disability runs out, wallah...

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

You saying there are no nice places left in the US then?

Lots of nice places everywhere, I bet you could find one nice place left in Syria, too.

Our gubments are working hard to 'fix' that though. Your 'hard earned' tax dollars are paying for the destruction of whole nations.

Good for you. You are working real hard to help destroy the world. Blind eyes, the world outside my window is peaceful too. I have to really listen hard to hear the bombs thudding in the desert.

Puts blinders back on, goes outside and paints house.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Who said nothing tragic or bad happens in my world? I broke some bones in a fall a year or so ago, lost nearly 4 months income, took months to get straight again.
Anyway, I'll ask again, how do I pay for life essentials without work? You say we're programmed, fair enough, how do you pay for your internet? Are you equally programmed?

EDIT

You are working real hard to help destroy the world. Blind eyes, the world outside my window is peaceful too. I have to really listen hard to hear the bombs thudding in the desert.
So are you, so get off that high horse sir, if you pay a penny in taxes then you contribute the same as anyone else.
edit on 20-3-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   

It boils down to a personal choice in life not programming. Some of us choose to earn spend consume and end up, hopefully, a little bit comfortable in retirement. There are also many ways to save money to make it work.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

Agreed, and until there is a different token of exchange to banks and money there really is little choice to earning to spend.
The member still won't answer how they pay for their internet access to ATS.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   

You sound a bit angry there bud. You are also more free to move to a better place than most people with a job, so I would take advantage of that and find sweeter grounds. As far as handing out cash to someone begging...absolutely never. I will give then clothes or food, but when they reject that and want only money, then I know the game they are playing.

And I am all about earning, spending and consuming....within my means.

Back to housing, Good Morning Britain had a segment on the Boomerang generation which sums it up...wages are not keeping up, and useless college degrees are not helping.
www.itv.com...

On a lighter note...Holly Willabooby is smoking. Talk about #earnspendconsume!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Who said nothing tragic or bad happens in my world? I broke some bones in a fall a year or so ago, lost nearly 4 months income, took months to get straight again.
Anyway, I'll ask again, how do I pay for life essentials without work? You say we're programmed, fair enough, how do you pay for your internet? Are you equally programmed?

EDIT

You are working real hard to help destroy the world. Blind eyes, the world outside my window is peaceful too. I have to really listen hard to hear the bombs thudding in the desert.
So are you, so get off that high horse sir, if you pay a penny in taxes then you contribute the same as anyone else.

I don't own the computer I type on or a car, home, phone. Don't have a paying gig, I am a total failure, the worst kind of despot in the stamped and approved world.

I should be ridiculed and marginalized for my position about the wider world y'all built that is destroying and polluting the wider world, wholesale.

Treat me like the Pariah I am, don't respond anymore.

Go blow something up.

posted on Mar, 20 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   

I don't own the computer I type on or a car, home, phone. Don't have a paying gig, I am a total failure, the worst kind of despot in the stamped and approved world.

I should be ridiculed and marginalized for my position about the wider world y'all built that is destroying and polluting the wider world, wholesale.

Treat me like the Pariah I am, don't respond anymore.

Go blow something up.

Wow that escalated quickly!
Don't be so hard on yourself, you are the only one being critical.And just because you don't 'own' anything doesn't make you any less culpabale for the ills of the world than me or anyone else.
You are posting on the internet and someone is paying for it so just because you've found a free connection gig you are no less a consumer either.

Do you live in a stick built shelter in the forest? How does home ownership contribute to bombings around the world yet however you choose to live is apparntly innocent and somehow exempt from criticism?
Come on, you're quick to dish it out thenrun away when asked questions. Pious and lame.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12 >>

join