It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US nuclear authorities and NASA work together to develop a spacecraft that can nuke asteroids.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Government scientists now have an official plan, just in case: They’ve designed a spacecraft to hit any large oncoming asteroids with a nuclear explosion. The Hypervelocity Asteroid Mitigation Mission for Emergency Response (HAMMER) spacecraft — a collaboration between the National Nuclear Security Administration, NASA, and two Energy Department weapons labs — would either steer its 8.8-ton bulk (called an “impactor”) into a small asteroid, or carry a nuclear device to deflect a big one.

Source

My take: This is just stupid on every level and as usual the sheep will support it.
Meanwhile, China has a space station about to crash back into Earth and we have fears about the Toxic chemicals on board... now imagine if they had of been nuclear materials.

On top of all of this, I can almost guarantee this will be used for bringing down more satellites than asteroids. This is probably going to trigger a race to weaponize space.. just what we need, more threats to our lives and military control..

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Just nuke em!

Humans answer to every problem.

Who will remember why in the end anyhow.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: byteshertz

The plan is being made for a worst case scenario event , if we spot a large asteroid heading this way soon enough we can take steps to alter its trajectory but if one catches us unawares then time limitations will make an immediate response necessary.

As the article says it's unlikely such a craft will be built but we do need to be thinking about the dangers out there and how we can defend against them.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   
The elite factions of Earth have such power because they control military and wealth.

Throughout our human history, military has been controlled and done the bidding of 1%.

When one controls Earth, space is the next frontier, the next quest of conquer. Our military, science combined will achieve that.

Though the OP calls it stupid to deter an asteroid collision that could harm hundreds of thousands, possibly millions of lives.

Rethink your assumption. This technology could alter a devastating collision with our planet. How do you see that as a bad thing?

It would happen so far away lol.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Interesting question is why now.....
perhaps 99942 Apophis is a larger threat than publicly known

however i also am led to believe that turning one falling object in to many is a monumentally
dumb idea . i dont see this being of much use unless we substantially increase detection lead time.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: byteshertz

Its about time. Unprepared Civilizations are wiped out with regularity.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ShayneJUK

From what i have seen over the years is that we really will not have time to react if they want to hit us.

To me a program like this could be a good goal for the overall benefit of mankind

Give us all something to do collectively.

I would expect no results other than that.

posted on Mar, 11 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Please use existing thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed

top topics

join