It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Debunking Flat Earth and the Hollow Earth

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Flat Earth

This idea is gaining popularity with myraid number kooks and cranks. The earth is a globe and always has been. If you happen to fly a plane only with reference to the attitude indicator, the altitude increases as the earth surface backs away, indicating its curved.

Hollow Earth

It is harder to debunk. There is no proof whatsoever except some legends. It is were true can you imagine a 4200 miles of atmosphere above you at the centre. the atmospheric pressure there will be close to 300lbs/sqin. Now what kind of flesh and blood can survive there, certainly not the surface dwellers who are used to 15lbs/sqin of atmospheric pressure.
So if there are inhabitants in the hollow earth, they cannot survive on the outer surface. The trees in the hollow earth will be certainly huge

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I'm not convinced one was or the other. Both sides have very good points. Here's one on the Flat Earth side that I can't explain...
Why doesn't a pilot ever have to tip the nose of the plane down to keep from gaining altitude...if said pilot never dipped the nose of the plane down while flying over a globe, logic dictates that as the plane kept flying level he would fly right out into space... wouldn't it

By the way, pilots have been asked if they occasionally have to dip the nose down to account for flying over a curved earth and they are on record as stating that they in fact don't ever have to do this.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Look, you can sh*t all over the flat earth all you want.

But, Dont EVER take my hollow earth from me!

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: mytquin

Gravity

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 03:36 AM
link   
How about a flat earth that is also hollow?

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Pandaram
Like a Maple bar without the filling.

I love those.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 03:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Hyperboles
You'd probably be hard pressed to find a Flat Earth believer who lives in the Southern Hemisphere.

So far I've only encountered Flat Earth believers from America and I guess from that point of view (up in the North) I can see how they may think it could make some sense? The FE model simply doesn't make any sense down here at all.

Here's a few examples:
* Down here in the South, the Stars rotate in a different direction than they do up North.
* Antarctica, which you can visit by the way, experiences 24 hour Sunlight during our Summers.
* Flying from Sydney to Johannesburg would take a lot longer (about five times as long) than it does in reality if the Earth was flat.

There is so many things wrong with the Flat Earth idea, but it almost feels like arguing against it is just feeding the trolls.
All logical reasoning is met with "It's all fake" etc.

As for a hollow Earth, I love that idea, that would be very cool indeed, but I have no way of knowing, as far as I know.
I did enjoy the book "Hollow Earth" by Rudy Rucker though.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 04:13 AM
link   
a reply to: mytquin

The altimeter reads the ground level below it,why do people with no knowledge of anything throw in their 2 cents? because we have liberals teaching them,think I learned that about 7 yrs old,about a year ahead of college milleniums

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 04:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: mytquin
I'm not convinced one was or the other. Both sides have very good points. Here's one on the Flat Earth side that I can't explain...
Why doesn't a pilot ever have to tip the nose of the plane down to keep from gaining altitude...if said pilot never dipped the nose of the plane down while flying over a globe, logic dictates that as the plane kept flying level he would fly right out into space... wouldn't it

By the way, pilots have been asked if they occasionally have to dip the nose down to account for flying over a curved earth and they are on record as stating that they in fact don't ever have to do this.
Am Pilot and yes we dip the nose down ever so slightly to maintain altitude

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Chickensalad
Look, you can sh*t all over the flat earth all you want.

But, Dont EVER take my hollow earth from me!
Lol good one

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 04:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pandaram
How about a flat earth that is also hollow?

Now that would be a neat trick, wouldn't it?

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 04:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Hammaraxx

Good points matey.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 04:34 AM
link   

All of it is easy to debunk: just open a high school science text book ad read up on physics an geology.

But seeing as how the believers of this horsesh*t are idiots, there's no point in arguing. You can show them live NASA rocket launches, videos from space, etc -- they will always believe the earth is flat and everything is a conspiracy.

The Earth isn't hollow, at least not in the Journey to the Centre of the Earth way. I don't doubt there are many caves and so on, but no mini sun, dinosaurs or reptiloids.

People are just bored but mainly, people are just really, really stupid.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 05:31 AM
link   

An easy way to debunk hollow earth is the fact that the Earth spins and is submitted to tidal forces.

If it was hollow it'd collapse at the poles and expand at the equator, and quickly disintegrate.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Who is this thread aimed at? Are there any flat earth or hollow earth posters on ATS?

It feels like people create these threads to debunk something that no-one is pushing.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 05:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TakeAMinute

Hang around a bit longer, you'll see.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 05:42 AM
link   
The Earth is a big cylinder. Hollow on the inside and flat on top.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Lol

Mercartor was right!

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 06:18 AM
link   

You forgot to add the FACT that Earth does not even exist.

You are all bots in a computer simulation and i am in the Matrix on a super duper spaceship orbiting the planet Zarg.

Note: Bots are pre-programmed to deny this fact.

posted on Mar, 1 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hyperboles
Am Pilot and yes we dip the nose down ever so slightly to maintain altitude

Are you kidding?
The altimeter works by measuring the changes in atmospheric pressure. And guess what? The pressure in the atmosphere goes along the same curve as the planet.

Dip the nose down, jeez

Edit: Ok I think that you are saying the same thing, but surely you don't have to correct this manually. How fast would you have to go to even notice this right? The auto pilot is just maintaining altitude by staying at the same presure level
edit on 1-3-2018 by Jubei42 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join