It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time for comprehensive common sense cell phone control legislation

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Oh I know, although I think it's better than looking completely away from what's in front of the driver.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Autorico

Maybe, I just think we can get by not being connected for the drive.
I don't even like having a conversation with a passenger if I'm driving..in the city anyway.
edit on 24-2-2018 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

I hear ya. I can't drive because of anxiety, so I totally get the distraction angle.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

This was a fun thread to read... the cognitive dissonance from some responders was amusing.

Next should be the Ibuprofen ban. 16,500 deaths in the US alone are attributed to Ibuprofen... that number climbs to 30,000 when you combine all the NSAIDs.

Where is the shock, the moral outrage? Where are the protests outside of Bayer and Phizer headquarters? In this case we even have Nazi involvement!

These ghastly corporations are killing our elderly, our sick! Ban them all!!!!!

Or at least impeach someone... yea!!!

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
In the UK, it is illegal to hold a phone while driving. If you haven't got that law, it would be a start.

That's not enough. It's illegal to murder people here, too, but that doesn't stop anyone.

The talking volcano is right. We need to ban these weapons of mass distraction. No civilian needs a phone that has more than 64 mb of memory and a CGA screen. More than that should be limited to police and military use only. Further, every civilian cell phone in the US should only have rotary dials, just like the founding fathers intended.

Let's remember the words of Thomas Jefferson when he was asked if the people should have 4G data phones with touch screens and bluetooth. He said, and I quote, "What?"

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Thank you for this vital public health advisory. Cell phones are murdering machines, built only to facilitate needless discussion during inappropriate times (like driving).

They claim far too many lives each year.

While we're on the subject, automobiles kill far too many Americans each year. Even one is too many. Your privilege to travel freely and efficiently is unneeded (in my sole determination), and saying otherwise means you support and enjoy watching people killed in these motorized killing machines.

You can still travel though. By horseback is completely fine. But you can't have access to the modern driving-death-machines. Sorry. You don't need them. Because I know what you do and do not need, right?

And don't worry, if you don't heed our "common sense" cell phone/car regulation, we'll just send armed federal agents to your home to enforce the law and confiscate your phone/car.

Sounds pretty scary, huh? Think before calling for suppression of a Constitutional right. Start thinking with your heads instead of your hearts folks. Otherwise they will get you every time.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Cognitive dissonance alright..who is banning anything?

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
a reply to: Lumenari

Cognitive dissonance alright..who is banning anything?

I'm not looking to ban all of your cell phones. Only those that make it possible to send rapid text messages while driving, which have been proven over the past 2 decades to be dangerous killing machines. People cannot be trusted with the power only needed by the military and police. That type of rapid communication technology is dangerous, and killing families. If you cannot see that, then you must consider yourself responsible of all of those deaths.

What I am proposing is common sense regulations.

You can still play Doodle Jump, take selfies, and post to Instagram. But you cannot send rapid texts while driving. Existing laws are scattered and haphazard. It is too easy to go from a state that allow this practice to one that does not and it results in death. Why do you feel you are so important that you must be able to respond immediately to anyone while driving? And if you own one of these death machines, you must also carry an expensive rider on your auto insurance policy to cover this eventuality whether your text and drive or not. You have the potential to do it, so you need to be regulated as well.

Why so reluctant to compromise here?

This is common sense.....stop the rapid texting and you stop the killing.

edit on 2/24/2018 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   

You guys are funny..it's been illegal to use a cellphone whilst driving for 7 years now where I live..the horror, the horror.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   

You guys are funny..it's been illegal to use a cellphone whilst driving for 7 years now where I live..the horror, the horror.

It is also illegal to kill someone. But people still do that, regardless of the laws in place.

This is not funny. This is serious. The data speaks for itself.

STOP THE MADNESS!!! Turn in your smartphone killing machine now.

Think of the children's lives you will be saving.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   

No, you see there are simply rules, like wearing a seatbelt, no drinking and driving..my ex wife is a quadripalegic due to that.
Get over yourself

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   

No, you see there are simply rules, like wearing a seatbelt, no drinking and driving..my ex wife is a quadripalegic due to that.
Get over yourself

I am sorry to hear of your wif'e's misfortune. I certainly hope it was not due to someone texting with one of these death machines. You think I am joking here? I assure you, I am not. I have been rear-ended twice due to these irresponsible texters. The second one almost took my life. I spent 3 months in a neck brace after spinal fusion surgery to repair the damage.

So, spare me your platitudes and false irony.

People have proven to be unable to regulate themselves, so we MUST regulate them to save lives. What makes YOU so important you need one of these devices?

Stop it now.

If these regulations on rapid texting death machines saves just one child's life, isn't it worth a little of your inconvenience?

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Not texting while driving..yes it is worth the inconvenience..got anything else? WTF did you do before cellphones?

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Not texting while driving..yes it is worth the inconvenience..got anything else? WTF did you do before cellphones?

I a happy you support regulating these death machines in the hands of irresponsible people. If you have one I recommend you either destroy it now or turn it in to your local police department.

The life you save may be a child.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   
You're right, maybe from here on in disregard stop signs and traffic light's too, maybe don't worry about the instructions on your medicine bottle too..I mean it's just THE MAN trying to control you.
Peace I'm out of this stupid conversation..you guys are just too bigly smart for my dumb ass.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   

You're right, maybe from here on in disregard stop signs and traffic light's too, maybe don't worry about the instructions on your medicine bottle too..I mean it's just THE MAN trying to control you.
Peace I'm out of this stupid conversation..you guys are just too bigly smart for my dumb ass.

Stupid conversation?

So, you feel it is stupid to try to regulate a device owned by millions of people that has proven to be a killing machine in the hands of those too irresponsible to treat it seriously and that ignore the laws? All resulting in the needless and senseless death of thousands of driver each year, for DECADES. All while nothing is done to stop it but pass laws that are not obeyed by those who do not care or willfully break those laws.

You must be one of those people then, shame on you.

Shame.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Smart phones need to get smarter in my opinion. Siri sucks at doing things on my phone. I asked Siri for directions to Wendy's one day and after a few wrong things, it said, calling some guy I worked with years ago whom I haven't spoken to in years. I had to shout cancel cancel.
Siri could not give me directions to a fast food place.

I do listen to the directions on my phone on occasion when I don't know where to turn at and am busy watching traffic. That is a lot safer than trying to read something I printed out for directions and am trying to remember where I need to turn again and again and again. I can't easily remember that many roads and exits etc. the smart phone makes me a safer driver. I used to look at printed directions and sometimes I was squinting my eyes while driving trying to read some small print before I started using phone GPS. I believe listening where to turn at is much safer than me staring at small road signs all over the place trying to figure out which road I'm coming up to and trying to change lanes at the last few seconds.

If Siri could do directions ok while in a vehicle, it would be so much better. Let me drive and watch the road while I ask Siri, find Burger King, or find Wendy's or tell me what fast food is in the area. Instead the last time I tried it, I got calling old coworker. We could also use Siri, do not disturb unless caller says its urgent or only send calls through from so and so if driving. We need an answer via voice instead of having to press a button too.

Siri sucks big time with a tv on or radio on in the background. I couldn't even talk to Siri without it trying to call 3 old workers where I used to work at. It tried to do FaceTime twice. All I did was say something to Siri and it tries calling people. We need to add smart into smart phones. Have it detect only voices of the owner and translate English a lot better.
edit on 24/2/18 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: orionthehunter
Smart phones need to get smarter in my opinion. Siri sucks at doing things on my phone. I asked Siri for directions to Wendy's one day and after a few wrong things, it said, calling some guy I worked with years ago whom I haven't spoken to in years. I had to shout cancel cancel.
Siri could not give me directions to a fast food place.

I do listen to the directions on my phone on occasion when I don't know where to turn at and am busy watching traffic. That is a lot safer than trying to read something I printed out for directions and am trying to remember where I need to turn again and again and again. I can't easily remember that many roads and exits etc. the smart phone makes me a safer driver. I used to look at printed directions and sometimes I was squinting my eyes while driving trying to read some small print before I started using phone GPS. I believe listening where to turn at is much safer than me staring at small road signs all over the place trying to figure out which road I'm coming up to and trying to change lanes at the last few seconds.

If Siri could do directions ok while in a vehicle, it would be so much better. Let me drive and watch the road while I ask Siri, find Burger King, or find Wendy's or tell me what fast food is in the area. Instead the last time I tried it, I got calling old coworker. We could also use Siri, do not disturb unless caller says its urgent or only send calls through from so and so if driving. We need an answer via voice instead of having to press a button too.

But that device still allows you to rapid text while driving doesn't it? If so, it needs to be either disabled by your carrier or by Apple. Individuals cannot be responsible enough to do it themselves or refrain from texting while driving. Can't you see how many deaths result in this ability? I mean, if you aren't using it, then there should be nothing wrong with it being disabled for you while driving, right?

After all, it would save countless lives on the road. Unless you care nothing for those lives.

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 12:08 AM
link   

When people start using cell phones as the physical murder weapon , by beating people to death with it. Then we can talk about banning them, deal?

Guns are used to kill people on purpose.
Cell phone death happens by accident.

See the difference?

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

When people start using cell phones as the physical murder weapon , by beating people to death with it. Then we can talk about banning them, deal?

Guns are used to kill people on purpose.
Cell phone death happens by accident.

See the difference?

It is not an accident when it is willfully done against the law. Those that do that are making a conscious decision to endanger others lives.

There is no difference.

A senseless death is a senseless death. And over 3200 a year, let alone 16,000 over the last 2 decades are too much. How can you ignore the stats? The families of these dead had no chance to say goodbye. Children left without parents, parents who has to witness their children die in front of them, perhaps even in their arms!

edit on 2/25/2018 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join