It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dangerous students: Who do you call?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

That you for the info! I feel for teachers working in this situation. You are being paid to teach. You can’t do your job if there are students who are continually disrupting your class.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I would guess this needs a joined up approach between agencies.

One thing that worries me though, is that if people aren't careful, this could become the new "SWATTING"

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Buvvy

This is a slippery slope for authorities as well. Following an event like this one would no doubt cause of lot of witch hunting to go on and kids to be reported by people who simply do not like them for whatever reason. Add to that panicked people misinterpreting what a dangerous kid really is and it's not an unruly teenager.

I'd imagine the reports to authorities all over the country would have exploded. I'd report it, but be sure I'm not doing it for the wrong reasons.

If you truly think these kids are dangerous to others, you definitely should alert the police first. Schools just teach us, they don't protect us and I'd think calling the school to tell them things they already know would not do any good. Assuming that's all true they know more than you do already.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I was discussing this with a friend who is a teacher.

What if the police came into the school and asked the principal for a list of violent or dangerous students - based on history of expulsions, the kid’s school disciplinary record, and any other criteria deemed relevant (example a history of bringing a knife or other weapon on campus)?

Assuming that there were no legal barriers in place and it would be legally ok for the school to share the info with law enforcement... I’m pretty sure that almost every school principal could hand over a list very quickly without even referring to notes or a database.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   

I can't imagine the pain those parents are feeling. I'm sure they're furious to think that if the FBI would have taken action, or all the other law enforcement agencies from other counties would have taken action when these red flags were known, their children would still be alive today.

It's bad enough our law makers never took action after Columbine and all the other school shootings, but then red flags
are ignored. Considering the number of school shooting, you would think these calls would have been placed at a high priority along with terrorist red flags.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   

That smells of witch hunt to me. No good would come of that and unless a person has a real reason to suspect a kid other than they fight or are unruly, a witch hunt is all it is. I'd hope both schools and law enforcement would not stoop to such a level as to profile every kid who has issues in school.

I imagine witch hunts are ongoing all over the country now wasting schools and law enforcement's time with people reporting kids they don't like.

People don't think when their emotions take over.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Head Busters!

Look, people get through the cracks. Even with overwhelming evidence they should not be in polite company.

You never heard of Ruth Achorn or her killer.

He shot her on her porch after escaping McClean's Psycho hosp and stealing a gun.

She didn't graduate with us.

Sometimes I wonder if she saved us. R.I.P.

masscases.com...

edit on 2 23 2018 by burgerbuddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

First of all, don't give into the fear and hype that 'troubled kids' are going to be the one in a million that go off and kill.

Many killers incubate for a long time, despite efforts to de escalate their brooding. In fact the more you focus on some the angrier they get.

You could lock them up for the crime of 'potential' but eventually you have to let them out. Now they will be 'institutionalized' and angrier than ever.

There is no fix for this other than changing the entire path this nation is on. Stop endless war, eternal debt, conditioning to violence thru TV, film and video games. Above all teach parents to love their kids, turn off the screens, and go outside.

Without love, peace and hope for the future, they got nothing to look forward to and will come a killing as soon as they 'hatch'.

Yes indeed, the elephant in the room that no one seems to notice.

posted on Feb, 23 2018 @ 11:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

First of all, don't give into the fear and hype that 'troubled kids' are going to be the one in a million that go off and kill.

Many killers incubate for a long time, despite efforts to de escalate their brooding. In fact the more you focus on some the angrier they get.

You could lock them up for the crime of 'potential' but eventually you have to let them out. Now they will be 'institutionalized' and angrier than ever.

There is no fix for this other than changing the entire path this nation is on. Stop endless war, eternal debt, conditioning to violence thru TV, film and video games. Above all teach parents to love their kids, turn off the screens, and go outside.

Without love, peace and hope for the future, they got nothing to look forward to and will come a killing as soon as they 'hatch'.

Don't let them out.

Hannibal Lecter outfit.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   

The only measures everyone seems focused on anymore is more protection and security. Nobody thinks of loving or nurturing. Thats even more glaring to me.

Have we forgotten how to teach love to our kids?

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   

I can't believe you're on here asking who to call, knowing damn well that this issue has been plastered on every screen that you see.

It takes more effort to write this post than it does to simply call the local authorities.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   

With regard to the reporting problem, its a lack of joined up policing, a lack of interconnectedness amongst the vital services in both law enforcement and mental health care provision, that allowed Cruz to do what he planned to do. Those reports should not have just hit the FBI's desk, but should also have been immediately copied to the desks of people whose job it is to maintain and protect the mental health of people where he was living. He should have been home visited, a court order could have been applied for to provide for Cruz's treatment, even without his permission. Things could and should have been done, that were not. This is not even slightly acceptable. In a nation which prizes its right to bear arms, you simply cannot have holes this large in the net which is meant to catch folk like this, before they hit bottom.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

It sounds like teachers are banned from reporting students who are dangerous to the police. Administrators/Principals have work performance goals to achieve resulting in a financial self interest that discourages them from reporting. They run the risk of upsetting a parent or triggering a lawsuit - both of which may put their jobs in jeopardy.

Teachers have a legal obligation to report suspected child abuse. Most seem to be in agreement that this level of repeated violent behavior (fighting, bringing weapons to school, multiple expulsions, etc...) is a warning sign of either an abuse situation or an underlying mental health issue. Despite the legal requirement for teachers to report suspected abuse - they are not required to report violent behavior (they are actually banned from reporting it).

This doesn’t make sense. If a child is expelled for fighting or bringing weapons onto campus there should a legal mandate to report to law enforcement and also to some type of a national database (families under scruitny by social services may relocate across state lines).
edit on 24-2-2018 by Buvvy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   

The only measures everyone seems focused on anymore is more protection and security. Nobody thinks of loving or nurturing. Thats even more glaring to me.

Well if the post above yours is anything to go by....

Yes I think it'd possible not enough people do love others, they certainly love themselves however loving others is almost like some distant message from a book a long time ago.

posted on Feb, 24 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sparkitekt

I can't believe you're on here asking who to call, knowing damn well that this issue has been plastered on every screen that you see.

It takes more effort to write this post than it does to simply call the local authorities.

Yeah and how well did that turn out?

posted on Feb, 25 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Well if the post above yours is anything to go by....

Yes I think it'd possible not enough people do love others, they certainly love themselves however loving others is almost like some distant message from a book a long time ago.

That post ^^^ reflects a larger issue. Schools keep other behavior quiet. Remember the flap about rape by student athletes? Think they cured that or just stopped reporting it?

But if course, crying rape when there tis none isn't good either. If I phoned in every meteor I saw in the night sky for fear of the big one, I'd be a laughing stock.

Teachers are in a delicate position, and kids act 'crazy' and say stupid things all the time.

Goes back to what I said originally, you can't tell ahead of time who's going to go off anymore than you can tell ahead of time where lightning will strike.

Its pointless to pre disaster and or provide severe protection measures for kids and schools.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join