It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump suggests arming teachers & staff could prevent school massacres

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   
RT News source

President Donald Trump has floated the idea that arming teachers and school staff could prevent future massacres, as he met with Florida school shooting survivors, who demanded changes and solutions.

WHAT THE ACTUAL F*

SERIOUSLY?

Who's smoking what man? He's serious as well!

“If you had a teacher with, who was adept at firearms, they could very well end the attack very quickly... And we’re going to be looking at it very strongly, and I think a lot of people are going to be opposed to it, I think a lot of people are going to like it,” Trump said at a ‘listening session’ at the White House on Wednesday, that included some Florida school shooting survivors.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   
You expected something different?

Of course this would be his ignorant idea, watch as his acolytes shuffle in & agree with him.

K~

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: aethertek

I guess. Silly me................(again)

+17 more 
posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I didn't vote for trump, but if you don't believe trained, armed, and willing staff wouldn't put a quick end to a shooting, you're the nut.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

It takes considerable training and maintenence to shoot hand guns in stress full large group settings.

It also takes a certain kind of personality screened to do it. Most police don't handle it very well. Just look at NYC and the amount of innocent people shot by accident trying to get the bad guy.

It's not realistic in my opinion as a marksman to ask that of teachers. You may find a few here and there but it's most likely a field agent type training to access that situation.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: CaptainBeno

No it won't. The worst possible thing for a budding crazy mind is putting a gun in the classroom where they could get at it.

I don't care how tight its locked up, there is nothing a school student with intent can't break into.

Conversely, the more secure a firearm is, the less likely it will be deployable in that sudden emergency.

Panic and fear, get the combo, unlock the hidden safe, get the ammo, load the firearm, whoops too late. Quicker to lock the door, find egress.

Besides, whats a swat team going to do when they find an armed person inside an active shooter location?

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
I didn't vote for trump, but if you don't believe trained, armed, and willing staff wouldn't put a quick end to a shooting, you're the nut.

"Gun-free zones" do exactly WHAT to protect innocents from crazy homicidal maniacs who comply with NO commands? nonetheless a stupid sign that says NO ONE IN HERE WILL HAVE A GUN TO FIGHT BACK WITH...

edit on 21-2-2018 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: luthier

It takes considerable training and maintenence to shoot hand guns in stress full large group settings.

It also takes a certain kind of personality screened to do it. Most police don't handle it very well. Just look at NYC and the amount of innocent people shot by accident trying to get the bad guy.

It's not realistic in my opinion as a marksman to ask that of teachers. You may find a few here and there but it's most likely a field agent type training to access that situation.

There's no shortage of already trained veterans that would be happy to protect schools.
This is a much better idea than trying to strip everyone of their inherent human rights.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

There's no shortage of already trained veterans that would be happy to protect schools.
This is a much better idea than trying to strip everyone of their inherent human rights.

There is no shortage of Veterans with brain injuries and ptsd as well.

It's not really that simple. Now I realize part of the problem is needing security. But having an agent who can assess the situation and get to the person possibly before it happens is better.

Not to mention guns are not the real issue.

Plenty of countries have guns and bad health care and don't have kids shooting up class rooms.

This conversation should be far more than guns which hijack the situation.

My point was as an avid marksman myself, people who don't shoot assume it's like the movies. In reality a gym teacher with a ccl has fairly good chance of shooting students himself by accident.

I see it all the time in three gun races for newbies who don't do stress shooting. They are way off target.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Yeah, yeah, yeah...arm the teachers...until...teachers start going berserk and shoot the students.

If there's anyone under the most stress in the classroom, it's the teacher, who has to try to keep his unruly students inline.

I can just see it now. Headlines..."Teacher looses it in the classroom and sprays his students with bullets".

"Whoever thought it was a good idea to arm the Teacher?"

Oh, well. You definitely don't want teachers walking around with arms.

Why not hire some ex-military vets to patrol the schools, much like "air martial"s do on planes.

That would give the vets a job, something they're skilled at, protecting Americans.

The vet could also play the role of "substitute teacher" on occasion, where he'd teach the kids about what's it like being in the military, describe his own experiences abroad, and be the resident military propaganda link, for those students thinking of a career in the military. They could always pop into the resident vets' office, to have a chat about military stuff, and the like. While, this gives the vet a sense of belonging and importance, with a continuing role to play in the society, instead of the "neglected feeling" most vets go through, when they come back home, only to find nobody cares.

Put the veterans to work. Let every high school have a military office. And kids will think twice about shooting up the school, with a badass resident high power military guy hanging around.

Oh, just make sure the veteran isn't suffering from PTSD.

edit on 21-2-2018 by AMPTAH because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   

It's not really that simple. Now I realize part of the problem is needing security. But having an agent who can assess the situation and get to the person possibly before it happens is better.

Plenty of countries have guns and bad health care and don't have kids shooting up class rooms.

My point was as an avid marksman myself, people who don't shoot assume it's like the movies. In reality a gym teacher with a ccl has fairly good chance of shooting students himself by accident.

I see it all the time in three gun races for newbies who don't do stress shooting. They are way off target.

Which is exactly why any educators so chosen to bear such a responsibilty would undergo rigorous and recurring training. There are many more people than you that can hit what they are shooting at, stressed or not. I would like to see your research on the gym tracher hitting students by accident. Willing teachers carrying and protecting students is actually a great idea and would make schools much less of a target. Next step would quit making schools gun free zones.

By the way, I’m sure the intent is concealed carry, not guns locked up across campus. Additionally, if you think there aren’t going to be lots of deaths before any police show up to allegedly experience crossfire, you’re sadly mistaken. Armed, trained educators could prevent these deaths.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH
Yeah, yeah, yeah...arm the teachers...until...teachers start going berserk and shoot the students.

If there's anyone under the most stress in the classroom, it's the teacher, who has to try to keep his unruly students inline.

I can just see it now. Headlines..."Teacher looses it in the classroom and sprays his students with bullets".

"Whoever thought it was a good idea to arm the Teacher?"

Oh, well. You definitely don't want teachers walking around with arms.

Why not hire some ex-military vets to patrol the schools, much like "air martial"s do on planes.

That would give the vets a job, something they're skilled at, protecting Americans.

The vet could also play the role of "substitute teacher" on occasion, where he'd teach the kids about what's it like being in the military, describe his own experiences abroad, and be the resident military propaganda link, for those students thinking of a career in the military. They could always pop into the resident vets' office, to have a chat about military stuff, and the like. While, this gives the vet a sense of belonging and importance, with a continuing role to play in the society, instead of the "neglected feeling" most vets go through, when they come back home, only to find nobody cares.

Put the veterans to work. Let every high school have a military office. And kids will think twice about shooting up the school, with a badass resident high power military guy hanging around.

As long as you screen the vets properly. They aren't infallible either. And most of their training is rifles. Which would be a but militant. Maybe a folding stock carbine but it still requires maintenence to shoot moving targets in a mass of panicking students without injuring more students.

I agree there need to be guards but it can't be a half ass approach and put people in who aren't screened properly or have adequate marksmanship.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   
In a society where you can't escape guns. Armed teachers isn't a bad idea. Do you have a better one?

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   
So, would the weapon be locked up in the classroom, or would the teacher be required to have the weapon “locked and loaded” on their person at all times?

If the gun is locked in the classroom, would the teacher be able to access the weapon quickly enough to defend the students.

Shouldn’t a teacher’s first responsibility be to evacuate their students to safety, rather than take time to access a lock box, and then place their students in a possible “shooting gallery” situation?

If the gun is to be carried by the teacher, doesn’t that just make for an “attractive hazard” situation; unless the gun is not loaded, in which case, what good will it be if the classroom is attacked?

And what kind of gun should teachers be armed with?

A mere handgun, even a semi-automatic handgun, seems a bit, inadequate, when compared to the firepower preferred by most of the recent school shooters.

But is it practical, to say nothing of wise, to require teachers to pack a loaded AR-15 over their shoulders during every class?

It is said that Insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting a different result.

It seems, instinctively, that there should be a corollary in which expecting more guns to be the solution to gun violence is also an irrational expectation.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lab4Us

Which is exactly why any educators so chosen to bear such a responsibilty would undergo rigorous and recurring training. There are many more people than you that can hit what they are shooting at, stressed or not. I would like to see your research on the gym tracher hitting students by accident. Willing teachers carrying and protecting students is actually a great idea and would make schools much less of a target. Next step would quit making schools gun free zones.

By the way, I’m sure the intent is concealed carry, not guns locked up across campus. Additionally, if you think there aren’t going to be lots of deaths before any police show up to allegedly experience crossfire, you’re sadly mistaken. Armed, trained educators could prevent these deaths.

I also said they would need training. I have a ccl anyone can get one. No maintenence and the test is a joke.

Let's also say a normal short barrel hand gun isn't very accurate. It's not like the movies.

Do you shoot?

Look up how bad of marksman police are as an example. Here is one article.

bearingarms.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   

I notice there was a trained, armed and willing person at the school. "But couldn't get there in time". Right, great job that did then huh?

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

It's not practical IMO for teachers to carry.

A security officer with adequate training is better idea.

The real problem however isn't guns. Kids aren't blowing each other away every other month in Russia that I am aware of.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Serious question for those who think having armed teachers is nuts...

Why do we have armed security guards at banks then?

Why do we have armed security guards at sporting and other events?

Why do we have armed security at jewelry stores?

Why is there armed security at convenience stores?

Why do prominent politicians and other famous people have armed security?

If all those things are so important to have armed security, why do you think we shouldn't have armed security protecting our children?

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: luthier

If I could add an 's' do your officer comment, I would agree completely.

Seems like the perfect middle of the road solution. We have armed guards for everything else of perceived value.

posted on Feb, 21 2018 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Ursushorribilis

In a society where you can't escape guns. Armed teachers isn't a bad idea. Do you have a better one?

Yep, No guns

Tadarrrr! Seems to work quite nicely here in Australia.
edit on 21-2-2018 by CaptainBeno because: quote

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join