It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does "gun control" mean at this point?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

exactly.

honest discussion, like adults. I think it's important for something like that to happen and be televised, with some form of Q&A. Perhaps start at town hall type venues, and escalate from there.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
There is no easy answer, but I believe these kids want to make it harder for mentally disturbed people to get guns. Obama tried, but Trump reversed it. That is making these kids and their parents angry.

Don't scream at me or throw out personal insults please. I'm just giving an honest opinion.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Stephen Paddock and Cruz both obtained theirs legally.

Paddock would have been able to easily even if we made the background checks harder. He was a wealthy adult who seemed normal on paper.

Cruz however was a troubled teen with red flags for being prone to violence and what looked like a life towards crime.

That all said, the problem is in our society.

The past decade has brought violence and opiates.

We had guns forever, but mass shootings are almost monthly.

Switzerland doesnt have them.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: JHumm

More cars=more accidents. Less firearms in circulation is relevent to the issue of gun control because it would offer an avenue to remove guns from the hands of people who don't (for whatever reason) feel comfortable with a weapon in their home.

edit on 19-2-2018 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:39 PM
link   
nothing is going to happen.....more kids being killed, more mass slaughters......get use to it.....Americans kill 33,000 other Americans every year......Americans love killing other Americans....it's so obvious

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
There is no easy answer, but I believe these kids want to make it harder for mentally disturbed people to get guns. Obama tried, but Trump reversed it. That is making these kids and their parents angry.

Don't scream at me or throw out personal insults please. I'm just giving an honest opinion.

I get the need to blame Trump here, but in reality, shootings like this have happened before Trump was president, so I don't think this is the answer. But yes, making sure that someone with mental illness has to be verified safe to own a weapon would be a good way to go, and might be acceptable to all sides. (might)

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Yes, this is key, and it's my sincere hope that we are able to do some meaningful studies and discussion as to why that is the case.

the facts aren't up for discussion. The USA has a serious problem with regard to mass shootings.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
nothing is going to happen.....more kids being killed, more mass slaughters......get use to it.....Americans kill 33,000 other Americans every year......Americans love killing other Americans....it's so obvious

but why? Why do we do it, and others don't? Something, or lots of somethings is causing this.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Probably something to do with the middle class is harder to attain.

We don't get raises but work longer hours.

Paid vacation is dwindling for many jobs.

Health insurance is considered a luxury.

Lobbyists own our politicians.

Our money is spent destabilizing the Middle East rather than at home.

And last I checked both parties get donations from the same people who want all of the above to stay the same.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

As it stands it's way easier to get a gun than a car.

how many DWIs do there need to be before you stop driving YOUR car?

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: JHumm

Accidents happen , And probably should not be thought of in this context.
NO MASS SHOOTING IS DONE BY ACCIDENT. That's why no body wants ban cars because of accidents.

So lets say he pulled the fire alarm...All the kids, 3000 of them, left the school and pooled in their designated meeting areas. This SOB then walks over to a big truck and decides to mow as many down as he can. Would you think he could get more that way than with a gun? I think so, also, at that point do we start talking truck bans?

You can't stop someone from killing people if that is what they want to do, You really can't limit it either since there are many other ways they can cause mass causalities outside of guns.

edit on 19-2-2018 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I would agree with stopping the act of glorifying these shooters in the media. Freedom of the press makes this tricky, but if I had my way, the shooter's name and picture and background (and any manifesto) would never be released to the public.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   

The USA has a serious problem with regard to mass shootings.

The USA has a problem with Opiate addictions too, we should ban drugs as well.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: smkymcnugget420

The USA has a serious problem with regard to mass shootings.

The USA has a problem with Opiate addictions too, we should ban drugs as well.

one issue at a time, unless they are related. Which could very well be in this case. But it would need to be looked at.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
I would agree with stopping the act of glorifying these shooters in the media. Freedom of the press makes this tricky, but if I had my way, the shooter's name and picture and background (and any manifesto) would never be released to the public.

I think in the case of mass shootings, the press could understand the need for this and it could be a good deterrent.
There really is no need to know all about the killer, other than morbid curiosity. And these are the last folks on Earth who should be glorified through memory.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

one issue at a time, unless they are related

They are intimately related... Drugs are already banned Federally and at the state level, but i can walk down the street and get any drugs i want whenever i want. Why would any remotely intelligent person think that guns would be any different?
edit on 19-2-2018 by smkymcnugget420 because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

originally posted by: JHumm

Accidents happen , And probably should not be thought of in this context.
NO MASS SHOOTING IS DONE BY ACCIDENT. That's why no body wants ban cars because of accidents.

So lets say he pulled the fire alarm...All the kids, 3000 of them, left the school and pooled in their designated meeting areas. This SOB then walks over to a big truck and decides to mow as many down as he can. Would you think he could get more that way than with a gun? I think so, also, at that point do we start talking truck bans?

You can't stop someone from killing people if that is what they want to do, You really can't limit it either since there are many other ways they can cause mass causalities outside of guns.

That's what I am saying too.

link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: jimmyx

but why? Why do we do it, and others don't? Something, or lots of somethings is causing this.

you answered your own question...."why do we do it, and others don't"....find out why others don't

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I am not a gun owner and more than likely probably never will be. I mean I would like to be but I'm just not comfortable with them so at this point in life it makes no sense.

So from my stand point when many people think gun control they think it's going to be a gun grab of some sorts. What I would like to see in terms of gun control is just a more strict law in which one can easily get a gun in general. I couldn't believe that hand guns were more difficult to obtain than a semi-auto (correct me if I read that wrong). There should be a much stricter policy in place for semi-auto imo.

Some things to consider in such policy would be:
*Placing a certain age on purchase of fire arm.
*More training on depending on the type of fire arm.
*Mental health evaluations
*Stricter punishment for those to be illegally using or possessing with greater fines (kind of like with DUI's)

I don't want to see guns ever taken away but when there is a problem, solutions need to be made to accommodate.
*NFL - concussions are a problem so they have invested millions into research and better equipment. As many would say, the league has now been pussified.
*Airline threats - we welcome the TSA. Yes it sucks but I for one am thankful we have it.

Just my thoughts off the top of my head anyways.

posted on Feb, 19 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

When I was growing up almost every pickup truck had a gun or two in the back window. Schools had gun clubs, people didn't need to carry conceded, they just carry on their hip..etc There were no gun safes, but there was a lot of gun safety...

Today, just try and walk down the street with a gun on your hip...lol

One needs to ask the question...what causes a person to want to kill people with little or no connections...just the need to kill...that is what has changed over the years... I agree opiates and mental drugs that seem to be fed to everyone in our society including kids.

I just love the antidepressants that have side effects of suicidal tendencies and the urge to mass kill...geez

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join