It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma schools go on 4-day weeks so teachers can work at Walmart on Mondays to make rent

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Oklahoma, going the way of Kansas - economy wise:

In 1992, Oklahoma passed a ballot initiative saying that the state could only raise taxes with a three quarters majority in the state assembly, creating a one-way ratchet where every tax cut becomes effectively permanent, including the sweetheart deals cut for frackers and the deep cuts to taxes on the wealthiest residents of the state.

As a result, the state is going broke. Teachers haven't gotten a raise in 10 years and the only way they can afford to accept the pay -- third-worst in the nation -- is by negotiating a four-day school week in 90 districts, freeing teachers up to take jobs at Walmart on Mondays to make ends meet.

It goes on:

Teachers are especially hard hit: their health plan was replaced with a private system that eats up more than $1000/month for a family of three -- one teaching aide was actually paying to work her job, spending $200/month more on health insurance than she was paid in salary.

boingboing.net...

And now the State is experiencing a drain of qualified teachers leaving in droves as the result of this. Those who stay continue to struggle year after year. It does help the fact Oklahoma sits among the lowest in the country in terms of performance.

Wonderful.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Wow, America is really shaping up to "Great Again", huh?

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Meh that's what happens when your state votes overwhelmingly Republican.

OT- Oklahoma is going to get screwed more since Trump just cut funding for meteorology & storm tracking.

K~

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   
And people wonder why kids are eating laundry detergent.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Those damn "insert opposing political party here" fools.

Shakes fist at air......

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

They do it because they are stupid, I say eat up.

Why deny Darwin his prize.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

If more kids had the sense to eat laundry detergent we wouldn't be having this problem.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

originally posted by: underwerks

They do it because they are stupid, I say eat up.

Why deny Darwin his prize.

They are stupid because of the lack of education, to live in this messed-up world you need to learn how.

You seem to be implying these people are born stupid and if you are you are spectacularly wrong.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Common sense isn't something you learn.

We need to go back to survival of the fittest.

Not survival of the dimmest.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Tide Pods are Apex Predators.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

This is the reason I thank god I live in the UK. The healthcare system in the States scares the living heck out of me. It isn't about health but profit, here in the UK it's free at the point of use (We pay for it through taxes) I could go needing a major surgery and I don't have to go into major debt and or sell everything I own, the same cannot be said for Americans. I find it insane that teachers are being paid so little that they have to get a second job and one that for a single day pays more than they earn if they work as teachers (unless I'm reading the article wrong, that is what it seems to be saying).

Americans have lived with their healthcare system for a long time and it'll not change. The idea of having to pay such huge levels is just wrong. For a country that has some of the best freedoms on the planet and is probably one of the last truly free nations (for now) left, to have the right to guns, to freedom of speech, to practice a religion of your choosing etc. yet you don't have the right to healthcare is always a strange one to me.

(Side note: My only experience with US healthcare comes from an aunt who lives in Florida, very old lady who is paying through the teeth for her insurance plan - don't know the ins and outs of it though. I've also seen a few documentaries and read a ton online. So maybe we can call it second hand knowledge).

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   

But they teach sex education and how to function in today's society. Something many baby boomer's can't manage to do without #ting on other people.

Therefore, they are "paid too much".

[snipped]

Because that's all they do, obviously.

But seriously, screw Oklahoma. Seriously.
edit on 2.18.2018 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Obama’s fault!! Hey he used the Bush excuse for 8years!!a reply to: EmmanuelGoldstein

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Here, the problem is the high cost of the pensions of the teachers and the big salaries and great benefits of teachers who get over twenty years. They do not want to retire. The new teachers do not make a living wage while the teachers with over twenty years start to make more than most people around here do. I think that they should go back and change that, there should not be a doubling of teachers salaries when they hit twenty years from what new teachers get. On top of that most teachers start out part time as subs and they do not make enough working half time and they do not get benefits. They may have to do that for three years, if they want the insurance, they can actually lose money while they work.

There is a major problem around here with this.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Wait until all the pensions crash in other states.
That's not just the teachers pensions that very few states have fully funded.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Thankfully the teachers who feel that their salaries are too small for the standard of living they have chosen, have the freedom to move to a higher-tax/higher-pay state.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   
They should pass medical marijuana in Oklahoma, that will bring in enough taxes to pay teachers more. That is the answer, not jacking up gas prices, oil prices and sales tax.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Thankfully the teachers who feel that their salaries are too small for the standard of living they have chosen, have the freedom to move to a higher-tax/higher-pay state.

So... nobody, nowhere, at no time, has an excuse to bitch about what they make? They can either be somebody else, be somewhere else, or just wait?

I believe in upward mobility being accessible to all. Not just asshats who were born in the right body, place, and time.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
Oklahoma, going the way of Kansas - economy wise:

In 1992, Oklahoma passed a ballot initiative saying that the state could only raise taxes with a three quarters majority in the state assembly, creating a one-way ratchet where every tax cut becomes effectively permanent, including the sweetheart deals cut for frackers and the deep cuts to taxes on the wealthiest residents of the state.

As a result, the state is going broke. Teachers haven't gotten a raise in 10 years and the only way they can afford to accept the pay -- third-worst in the nation -- is by negotiating a four-day school week in 90 districts, freeing teachers up to take jobs at Walmart on Mondays to make ends meet.

It goes on:

Teachers are especially hard hit: their health plan was replaced with a private system that eats up more than $1000/month for a family of three -- one teaching aide was actually paying to work her job, spending $200/month more on health insurance than she was paid in salary.

boingboing.net...

And now the State is experiencing a drain of qualified teachers leaving in droves as the result of this. Those who stay continue to struggle year after year. It does help the fact Oklahoma sits among the lowest in the country in terms of performance.

Wonderful.

Whoa, We won't be moving there!

I'll go back to Vermont. And not near Burlington.

5 acres and a double wide.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: aethertek
Meh that's what happens when your state votes overwhelmingly Republican.

OT- Oklahoma is going to get screwed more since Trump just cut funding for meteorology & storm tracking.

K~

Need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows?

Go outside once in a while!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join