It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma schools go on 4-day weeks so teachers can work at Walmart on Mondays to make rent

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

There is.

We can't help it if the administration takes it all.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
They should just disband the schools.

Home schools do just fine.

Problem solved

I agree it isn't 'society's' responsibility to educate kids, it's the parent's responsibility. If you can't handle the responsibility don't have kids.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Typical red state no taxes on the rich, starve the kids, and ruin the state like the Kansas fanatic who ruined Kansas by drastically cutting taxes and thinking trickle down would work.

Now Trump is trying to do that on the federal level and ruin America.

He may succeed if people don'y wake up

Yes because we all know the leftist utopia state has people flooding into it, and its coffers are full to bursting and people and companies are not flooding to places like Texas threatening to change its political leanings, because well blue states are awesome and perfect...

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Typical red state no taxes on the rich, starve the kids, and ruin the state like the Kansas fanatic who ruined Kansas by drastically cutting taxes and thinking trickle down would work.

Now Trump is trying to do that on the federal level and ruin America.

He may succeed if people don'y wake up

Yes because we all know the leftist utopia state has people flooding into it, and its coffers are full to bursting and people and companies are not flooding to places like Texas threatening to change its political leanings, because well blue states are awesome and perfect...

Utopia state?

Na, not yet, only when we get rid of the republican philosophy of selfishness and greed and the liberal philosophy of do whatever you want and from both give Israel everything they want.

Neocon or Neoliberal

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: acackohfcc

Who's they? Not my state. You mean the states where a large percentage of High school or GED (lumped in the same group) happen in prisons or some form of corrections, both juvenile and adult. That's where people are turned out to the world without understanding how to balance a check book and are somehow expected to lead a clean life.

Regardless, the lack of respect for education and educators is disgusting. I understand the case-by-case issue of bad teachers/admins and wasteful union protections. But these aren't blanket issues. They are case-by-case. If you right off an entire group of society due to a few bad apples, you're in the same boat as people who shriek every time a cop has to shoot someone.

"TEAR IT DOWN" isn't a solution. It's a last resort. It may be the easy way, but life ain't easy.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

And there is an example of toxic union policies. Not to mention a might short-sighted venture on the part of the budget-teers.

I don't have much love for public sector unions and this sort of in-house, good`ole`boy system of hire/fire is part of the reason. I'll have to dig up a local headline from a few years ago involving my city/county being investigated for nepotism by a traditional rival city with as much if not more nepotism. The headline was something along the lines of "Anaconda investigators find no signs of nepotism in Butte."

It's a CSB and inside joke, but believe me, that headline is double-think at its finest.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: SkeptiSchism

That would require at least one full time parent. The GDP would plummet with so many people dropping out of the workforce. I am not saying it's a bad idea, but our current "status quo" would not do well. If all schools went private then maybe, but I doubt the individual cost per child would be made up due to tax relief.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Don't teachers work about 180 out of 365 days when other jobs work about 251 out of 365?

Have students go year round and pay the teachers more for the extra days.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: EmmanuelGoldstein
Wow, America is really shaping up to "Great Again", huh?

This was IN THE WORKS just the same as the BUDGET was before President Trump was voted into office...

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Professional development conducted on Mondays -Attract and retain teachers -Increase family time for the community and teachers -More time for teachers to prepare for lessons -More time for students to complete homework -Less commuting time for students and teachers We are considering Mondays after examining other schools and holding internal discussions. Many holidays school is dismissed for are celebrated on Mondays (Labor Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Presidents Day etc). Using Monday as the day off would eliminate three -day weeks caused by those holidays if another day was used as the day off. Some doctors’ offices are closed on Fridays; therefore students and staff would be able to schedule appointments on Mondays. Student attendance increases due to the availability on Mondays for appointments, etc. Therefore, instruction time is increased for students. Higher student attendance is directly related to higher student achievement. -Many schools showed an increase in student academics due to increased student attendance. -Staff attendance increases; therefore, instructional time will be more effective for students. -Student focus and engagement increases in the classroom. -Morale and behavior of students improve, therefore reducing discipline referrals. -A four-day week provides flexibility in the event of weather -related school cancellation; make -up days can be made up earlier in the year when learning is most effective and before mandated state testing. -Older students would be able to work and earn more money on Mondays. -With Half Way being a rural agriculture community, this would allow students another day to work on the farm. -Students would be able to visit more colleges and post -secondary institutions on Mondays to better prepare for their future.

posted on Feb, 20 2018 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: iwanttobelieve70
Don't teachers work about 180 out of 365 days when other jobs work about 251 out of 365?

Have students go year round and pay the teachers more for the extra days.

But they don't even work 180. They have substitute teachers all the time.

USA spends over 600 billion on public schools every year. Why doesn't more of that money go to the teachers?

I have a hunch. Schools are doing waaaaay more than just educating the kids. In my small rural town they provide breakfast and lunch, and give the kids backpacks of food for the weekends. At our schools if a kid has lice it's the schools responsibility to completely remove it all. Also if a child comes to school and they smell terrible they are required to wash their clothes for them. It's never ending.

I get so mad when I hear that kids come to school so hungry on Monday they have headaches and stomach aches. The parents on are welfare, get food stamps and every other govt benefit. But they don't feed their own kid. And unless there is signs of physical abuse I'm told the reports to child safety go nowhere.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join