It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass Shootings and Suicides In Amerca - Both Have MENTAL ILLNESS in Common.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: donnydeevil

originally posted by: DBCowboy

It's a behavior. A behavior as a result of social influences.

This surpasses economic boundaries.

It has nothing to do with guns.

We had easier access to guns when we were kids without this crap.

So what has changed?

The teaching process has changed.
Disciplining has changed.
Respect for your elders, respect for your community has changed.

We also have those issues in Canada yet we do not have mass shootings on a regular basis. There is something we do have that is different than America but is ignored by Americans and those are common sense guns laws and strict ones too. We also have better access to mental health services in Canada.

So you don't care if people WANT to kill, you are just in favor of limiting their options.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

No I am saying one of those two needs to be fixed. It really doesn't matter which one, just as long as one of them does. The thing I am seeing from ATS is that guns are off the table, well then go after your representatives in regards to making it harder for these types of people to have guns or to get better access to mental healthcare.

I really don't care about the gun thing in America, since I do not live there and it seems guns over there seem to be some kind of weird obsession that seems crazy to me as well as other Canadians. I mean it seems absolutely bonkers to us that some have said the answer gun violence in America is to ease the laws there so that there is more accessibility for more Americans to have guns (basically more guns on the street). I mean, what? More guns in the hands of less than qualified or stable Americans? Seems a bit off to me.

Don't mean to bring up Trump but did he not roll back a law that made it harder for the mentally ill to get guns? Not saying it was his fault but he cannot stand up there and talk about how mental illness is an issue when it comes to guns after he rolled back something that may have prevented this. Again. I am not sure what he did.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   

a reply to: carewemust

Children are being coddled and are not being prepared for life.

They have no coping skills.

They have no problem-solving skills.

So when the hard parts of life reach the sheltered youths, they are not equipped to handle it.

Our society is responsible for the deaths and suicides.

I blame parents. Today, it seems that there are more and more parents that simply don't instill humility and morals in their children. Back when... When I was younger, I would have been ashamed to even think about doing what these kids are doing today. I actually cared about the life of others, whether I was fist fighting or not. The goal wasn't to kill but to make that person hurt for their actions via a few punches and grapples. I couldn't bare myself if I was the reason for the loss of someones life, let alone be the cause of it on purpose. For people like you and I, we can't fathom it. I don't understand how those few can.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I still post this from Psychic Focus shortly, 'I see a panel of alt left democrats watching this play out on the television (almost in odd excitement). it serves as a great distraction, to ban guns and create a "taxing opportunity". The media is being encouraged to cover this non-stop to keep emotions high...putting A LOT of emphasis on the shooter, which keeps this repetitive activity going, because imbalanced people can get enamored with having that same fame. The PTW (Powers That Were) are terrified of losing control. I see a person (working as PTW "minion") coaxed and planted ideas in the shooter's mind until he cracked.'

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: DBCowboy

Parents have it pretty tough. Trying to make ends meet. Take a family vacation when possible. They know responsibility.

You're saying parents are so busy, they're neglecting their children?

They aren't neglecting.

But it'd be called abuse by the way they shelter and do not prepare their children for real life.

I guarantee this kid had anything but a coddled life.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 06:38 PM
link   
i hate the whole blame computer games and movies, to me its a get out of jail free card.

i play violent computer games i love them my favorite being skyrim. lots of killing in that even options to be more villain than a hero.
i watch violent movies and tv shows and my house is decorated in skulls but never have or will kill someone

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
I don't know enough about how the mind works, to name all the different types of mental illnesses. For instance, there's a name for the illness that makes a person want to wash their hands all the time.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

My definition of mental illness is very broad. Maybe there's a specific name for the type that causes people to want to commit mass murders, or commit suicide. I don't know.

Someone snaps and thats a "mental illness"?

How about when your "heart is broken", and you're depressed for a few weeks. is that "mental illness"? Should people go to the nut house? Get a prescription?

Is suicide even inherently "mental illness"? There's about as many logical reasons a person could kill themeself as there are irrational ones, and variants of actual clinical Mental Illness.

You lose everything, and you've got n place to go no way out, and quite frankly whatever left in such a trajectory it just wouldnt be worth living after what came before; it would be tantamount to suffering... you off yourself.

Is that "MENTAL ILLNESS"?

You're suffering in pain no expected cure coming to save you... you off yourself.

Everyday in school you're tormented, nothing about your life seems worth it, you see the MSM making people famous for shooting people, and you hate people especially those bastards at school... you gun them down and 'get famous'.

Actually go read about Mass Shooter Contagion Effect. In case after case after case it can be directly attributed to the 'fame factor'.

And read its history, which is actually tied to the Emotional Contagion Effect (alongside the Copycat Effect).

You see Emotions are contagious (and emotions are the key driver of suicide):

Two centuries ago, a wave of suicides swept across Europe as if the very act of suicide was somehow infectious. Shortly before their untimely deaths, many of the suicide victims had come into contact with Johann von Goethe's tragic tale "The Sorrows of Young Werther," in which the hero, Werther, himself commits suicide. In an attempt to stem what was seen as a rising tide of imitative suicides, anxious authorities banned the book in several regions in Europe (Phillips 1974, Marsden 1998).

During the two hundred years that have followed the publication and subsequent censorship of Goethe’s novel, social scientific research has largely confirmed the thesis that affect, attitudes, beliefs and behaviour can indeed spread through populations as if they were somehow infectious. Simple exposure sometimes appears to be a sufficient condition for social transmission to occur. This is the social contagion thesis; that sociocultural phenomena can spread through, and leap between, populations more like outbreaks of measles or chicken pox than through a process of rational choice.

The term contagion (ken­tâ-jen) itself has its roots in the Latin word contagio, and quite literally means "from touch". Contagion therefore refers to a process of transmission by touch or contact. The Microsoft Dictionary (Microsoft 1997) defines contagion as the

"transmission of a disease by direct contact with an infected person or object; a disease or poison transmitted in this way; the means of transmission; the transmission of an emotional state, e.g. excitement; a harmful influence."

From this definition, contagion refers to 1) the social transmission, by contact, of biological disease, and 2) the social transmission, by contact, of sociocultural artefacts or states.
web.stanford.edu...

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   
This won't be popular.... but I don't care.
Back in the day, both my parents worked. We didn't get to spend a lot of time with them daily, but we took fishing trips and the like.
But you know what I did have? Chores, and responsibilities, including animals. And do you know what happened if we did not meet those requirements? A warning first, of what would happen. And if it happened again? A butt whooping. What did I learn?
Consequences!

I learned why, if you don't feed the dog, it goes hungry. Then you do too. If you called your mom a "Bleep" she didn't tell you her feelings were hurt. I got soap in my mouth. I didn't get sick, I didn't die.
And yes, I got the belt once. After I had been told, if I do "This" it will happen. I did it anyway.

I completely believe the other problem, is that in the early to mid nineties, the ADHD drugs where handed out like candy. I know from personal experience with my own son, that you could get a script after meeting with the doctor for 15 min. ( I didn't give them to him and it turned out he didn't have ADHD, he had anti social disorder) This was all recommended by a teacher, remember when they wanted little well behaved zombies in their classrooms?

We have a mental health crisis right now with our youth. There isn't just "One" factor here. There are many. But if you go back, you can see the decline. I've been looking into this alot. I don't think there is just one fix.

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   

By my 2nd year in college, I lost three friends to suicide. One particular individual's little brother followed the same path a year or so ago. Last November their father shot himself. All went the same way. Shot to the heart leaning over their favorite hunting rifle in their respective trucks.

All of them were all-state wrestlers and top-notch athletes in high-school/college. They were extremely popular in school. Their father recently retired as cop.

That's an entire family wiped out by suicide. There is honestly a woman not far from me right now who has lost the most important people in her life, one by one, to the same fate.

And it was preventable. The "just tough it out" attitude got the best of some of the toughest I knew.

edit on 16-2-2018 by OrdoAdChao because: a bit more

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: CreationBro

I agree. Guns in America are here to stay. The nation should restrict weapons that shoot the most bullets in the least amount of time, to the military and the police. Don't announce it ahead of time, though!

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: CreationBro

I agree. Guns in America are here to stay. The nation should restrict weapons that shoot the most bullets in the least amount of time, to the military and the police. Don't announce it ahead of time, though!

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Actually go read about Mass Shooter Contagion Effect. In case after case after case it can be directly attributed to the 'fame factor'.

And read its history, which is actually tied to the Emotional Contagion Effect (alongside the Copycat Effect).

You see Emotions are contagious (and emotions are the key driver of suicide):

Two centuries ago, a wave of suicides swept across Europe as if the very act of suicide was somehow infectious. Shortly before their untimely deaths, many of the suicide victims had come into contact with Johann von Goethe's tragic tale "The Sorrows of Young Werther," in which the hero, Werther, himself commits suicide. In an attempt to stem what was seen as a rising tide of imitative suicides, anxious authorities banned the book in several regions in Europe (Phillips 1974, Marsden 1998).

During the two hundred years that have followed the publication and subsequent censorship of Goethe’s novel, social scientific research has largely confirmed the thesis that affect, attitudes, beliefs and behaviour can indeed spread through populations as if they were somehow infectious. Simple exposure sometimes appears to be a sufficient condition for social transmission to occur. This is the social contagion thesis; that sociocultural phenomena can spread through, and leap between, populations more like outbreaks of measles or chicken pox than through a process of rational choice.

The term contagion (ken­tâ-jen) itself has its roots in the Latin word contagio, and quite literally means "from touch". Contagion therefore refers to a process of transmission by touch or contact. The Microsoft Dictionary (Microsoft 1997) defines contagion as the

"transmission of a disease by direct contact with an infected person or object; a disease or poison transmitted in this way; the means of transmission; the transmission of an emotional state, e.g. excitement; a harmful influence."

From this definition, contagion refers to 1) the social transmission, by contact, of biological disease, and 2) the social transmission, by contact, of sociocultural artefacts or states.
web.stanford.edu...

This seriously is a phenomena.

My community has faced multiple rashes of teen suicides in the past few years. One involved mostly middle-school aged kids and since we're small and tight knit as a town, the obvious question of teens and anti-depressants came up. I wasn't medicated (well, legitimately) as a teen and only knew of a few who were and I don't think the meds helped but I don't think they caused them to be the way they were. In terms of the teen the suicides, the most direct answer was "likely not a factor". Setting conspiracy theories aside for a moment, I honestly believe it. These were, simply put, good kids from good families. Athletes, musicians, good students.
edit on 16-2-2018 by OrdoAdChao because: format FAIL

posted on Feb, 16 2018 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I think a big part of the problem is mental illness and we shouldn't want mentally ill people easily obtaining weapons of any kind that can kill a lot of people.

I've heard a lot of mass shooters took certain drugs. If you are taking such drugs, maybe there needs to be a routine sanity check to take the drugs and keep your guns.
I'm all for the right to bear arms except when the person is a criminal or mentally insane or very troubled. I would like to see both parties work together to strengthen mental health laws and reduce the threat of mentally unstable armed criminals.

If anyone reading this was affected by the shootings, my condolences.
Republicans were recent victims last year of a recent shooting by someone who was mentally unstable. They should want to reduce the potential violence.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Does somebody just snap in their own head with no external trigger what so ever?

I doubt it...

And do we really want to waste any more of our precious time blathering on about video games, drugs, and gun control?

Probably you want to talk with everybody a suicidal shooter came into contact with in their life to try and figure out who was a bad influence.

Like suicide bombers are usually connected to terrorist groups like ISIS. Maybe these suicidal shooters got triggered by covert terrorist types too...

Some food for thought. Here is a WordPress blog on gang stalking...

gangstalking.wordpress.com...

edit on 17-2-2018 by CainHarmbank because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Helpful and traditional advice for parents:

11 Parenting Mistakes That Parents Should Avoid

So many false ideas and destructive drug solutions these days. We did not have these problems 100 years ago. Sane parents did not need "experts" to tell them how to "fix" their children. Back to the traditional, back to normal.

posted on Feb, 17 2018 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: SacredLore

Good points! Effective parenting is common sense. Even 4 legged animals know how to parent properly. Do you think certain sections of our brains are de-evolving?

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Thanks for taking a look at the link!

I do not think that the brain is de-evolving as the result of a natural process.
The brain functions are hindered and sabotaged by chemical and technical influences.

Remember, this is a conspiracy site :-)
I believe the free world has been under attack for a long time by covert forces and that this clandestine war against freedom is succeeding.
Imagine if you could make the artists and the children of the enemy country addicted to drugs (street or "legal").
Imagine if you could corrupt the educational system of the enemy.
Imagine if you could get the population of the enemy country to poison themselves with their daily food.
Imagine if you would understand propaganda that influences thought as more effective than bombs on a battlefield.
Imagine if you would plan for the next 100 years, not just 4 years.
Would it not become easy to win the next war on the battlefied against that weakened and dumbed-down enemy nation?

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: chiefsmom

My wife and I raised two well-adjusted, successful, compassionate children to adulthood. Both own their homes, have good jobs where they are valued highly, are receiving promotions regularly, and have no criminal record whatsoever.

If they got out of line as children, I spanked their butts. Just like when I got out of line as a child, my Daddy spanked mine.

They didn't have all of the toys and fancy gadgets other kids had. We were poor most of the time they were young. They always had food and warm clothing though, and at Christmas they always had presents under the tree. They had expectations as to what they were supposed to do: if you want money, you earn it; if you make a mess you clean it; if you screw up you admit it and accept the consequences; you have one job - your education, and you get good grades. Both worked with me around the place to fix things as they needed it, and I taught them both that they could do anything they set their minds to.

We don't do doctors and drugs in this household. Doctors are a last resort; if you get sick, you tough it out as long as you can tough it out. Drugs are an indication you need to be tougher. In the last year, I have used throat spray once and taken one aspirin. I'm not tough enough yet. All the teachers at my kids' school knew me; I was there every year at the beginning of the year to meet them. I was in the audience every single year on awards day; I quit one trucking job to do it. And they all knew how I felt about drugs when I left.

I taught my kids how to do things. My daughter knows how to build a house, mix concrete, and drive a nail. My son can rebuild an engine, plumb a house, and repair a cell phone. She is in management; she graduated the local college at 19 with an AS in Psychology, Suma Cum Laude. He is a lead CNC machinist, looking to go back to college to get a BS in Mechanical Engineering.

The problem is all the coddling. Kids sometimes need stimulation of the butt-bone to adjust improper attitudes. Kids need to know that there is someplace they can come home to, no matter what. Kids need to know someone is proud of them, and that tomorrow can really be brighter and better than today if they're willing to work for it. They don't need trophies or empty praise... they need hope and confidence. Parents today seem too intent on supplying the former instead of the latter.

So where do kids turn for their encouragement? Social media... TV... video games... Social media will suck any hope you might have right out of you. Someone mentioned earlier (maybe in a related thread) that the problem with social media is that one begins to compare the average parts of their lives to the public parts of others' lives. That's not a contest that is winnable. TV shows violence and glory in battle and greatness through conquest of others (I actually had to forbid Dragonball Z because it was causing my son to start fighting at school). Video games are extremely violent, self-controlled, and first-person... probably not a big issue for a well-adjusted person, but an impressionable, attention-starved child? That could easily be a horse of a different color.

This is such a complex issue, as you state... but it all goes back to one thing: political correctness. I will state what I told a DHR investigator once: "I don't abuse my kids. There's a differ4ence between a beating and a whipping. If you're confused about that, I'll be happy to demonstrate... now LEAVE MY KIDS ALONE!"

She left.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: SacredLore

That's good food-4-thought. Makes you wonder how the United Nations, World Health Organization, and other global watch dogs are allowing average people to be taken advantage of by these sinister, covert operators.

posted on Feb, 18 2018 @ 01:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

You should be very proud of not only how well you and your wife did with raising your 2 children, but how responsible they now are as adults.

Your way has been proven to be the best, over and over again. Why families choose the dysfunctional route, when time-honored, proven, child-rearing case studies say that conservative values work best, is beyond me.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join