It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass Shootings and Suicides In Amerca - Both Have MENTAL ILLNESS in Common.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

The bill was singed because it was a gross overstep of the 4th and 2nd amendments. Same with no fly lists. We are all entitled to due process.

Not Rob Porter. In less than 48 hours, he was declared guilty of hitting his x-wife, 9 years ago.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox
a reply to: carewemust

I’m not wasting my time on you.

If you would have a reasonable conversation and concede points and counterpoints it might be worth it.

Thank-you for your honesty.

Actually, I wanted to entitle this thread, "Mass murders of young people are minor, compared to the number of youth suicides".

But that doesn't address a CAUSE of those two horrible acts.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: donnydeevil
We also have mental health problems in Canada and yet we never hear of mass shootings on a regular basis, I wonder why that is?

Do you have strict gun-control laws in Canada? Our 19 year-old shooter easily bought his Assault Rifle.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
February 15, 2018

Every time there's a mass shooting in America...particularly one where young people are involved, there's an outpouring of emotions, and cries to "DO SOMETHING!" But after a few weeks, those demands go silent....until the next mass shooting.

Well, I just heard Trump on CNN saying "we will do anything to protect you" (or "there are people who will do anything to protect you", except giving up their profits in the gun hobbyist market is the first thought that came to my mind when I heard him saying that. I guess he forgot to mention that because it's not very efficient to remind people of in terms of tickling their ears (telling them what they want to hear).

I wonder at what point the NRA fans will feel it has become inappropiate and a sign of bad taste to continue making the arguments the NRA makes to market their products. I'm pretty sure the predominantly hypocrite Baptist Churches of the rural areas in the US aren't going to change their ways and speak out against those Republicans like Trump that support the NRA no matter what, they'll continue to endorse him and the NRA. Those tin cans are just too threatening you see, you need to be able to defend yourself against them.

Keep spending that dough on ammo and excessive new weaponry to get those evil tin cans (and tell people you only need to bear arms to defend yourself and/or prevent the government from stepping out of line, when they'll do what they want anyway, in spite of people's hobby and thrillseeking cravings).

The US has more guns per person on average than Pakistan. That says a lot. Pakistanis are almost just as gun-crazy, they just can't afford the same private arsenal of the average American hobbyist, and they don't pay the same high prices, the market is smaller in that sense (of course their interest goes beyond just guns).

Why So Many Violent Crimes Now? Awake!—2003

Why Do They Do It?

There is no one factor that explains all the varied acts of senseless violence. What makes some crimes more difficult to understand is their irrational nature. For example, it is hard to comprehend why a person would walk up to total strangers and stab them to death or why someone would drive by a house and shoot at random.

Some claim that violence is inherent in people. Others argue that senseless crimes cannot be explained as an unavoidable part of human nature.​—See the box “Doomed to Violence?”

Many experts believe that there are a host of factors and circumstances that are catalysts inclining people to commit irrational, violent acts. A report published by the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) Academy in the United States goes so far as to say: “Homicide is not the act of a sober, sane, individual.” Some authorities would take issue with the wording of that statement. Nevertheless, many agree with what it implies. For some reason the thinking of those committing senseless crimes is not normal. Something has affected their reasoning to the point that they will do the unthinkable. What contributing factors move people to do such things? Let us look at several possibilities that experts have mentioned.

Breakdown of Family Life
Hate Groups and Cults
The Mass Media and Violence

Some point to evidence that various forms of modern communication may encourage aggressive conduct. Regular exposure to violence depicted on television, in movies, in video games, and on the Internet is said to desensitize the conscience and inspire violent crimes. Dr. Daniel Borenstein, president of the American Psychiatric Association, stated: “At this time there are more than 1,000 studies based on more than 30 years of research demonstrating a causal connection between media violence and aggressive behavior in some children.” Before a U.S. Senate committee, Dr. Borenstein testified: “We are convinced that repeated exposure to entertainment violence in all its forms has significant public health implications.”​—See the box “Computer-Game Violence—​A Doctor’s Viewpoint.”

Specific cases are often cited to show that this is true. In the case of the triggerman involved in the cold-blooded murder of a couple watching the sunrise on a beach, mentioned in the preceding article, prosecutors presented evidence that the thrill killing was inspired by repeated viewing of a violent movie. In a school shooting where 15 people were killed, the two student perpetrators were said to have spent hours each day playing violent video games. Additionally, they repeatedly watched movies glorifying violence and killing.

Drugs
Easy Access to Destructive Weapons
One report shows that there were only 32 gun murders in Japan in 1995, most involving gangsters killed by other gangsters. In contrast, the United States had more than 15,000 gun murders. Why the difference? Japan’s stringent gun ownership laws have been cited by some as a reason.

People’s Inability to Cope
It is obvious from the foregoing that a combination of factors makes people inclined to commit violent crimes. However, our list would be incomplete if we did not consider one more very important factor.

The Bible’s Answer

The Bible helps us to understand what is happening now and why people act in such extreme ways. It accurately describes attitudes we commonly see. For example, the list found at 2 Timothy 3:3, 4 states that people would have “no natural affection” and that they would be “without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness,” and “headstrong.” In another Bible book, Jesus was quoted as saying: “The love of the greater number will cool off.”​—Matthew 24:12.

The Bible says: “In the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here.” (2 Timothy 3:1) Yes, what we see is evidence that we are living at the end of the present system of things. Conditions, along with people’s attitudes, are on a downhill slide. ...

DOOMED TO VIOLENCE?

Some argue that the propensity for violence or killing has always been inborn in humans. Supporters of evolution maintain that we come from wild animals and have simply inherited their violent characteristics. Such theories would leave us doomed to an endless cycle of violence from which there is no hope of escape.

However, there is much evidence to the contrary. The theories mentioned above do not explain why in different cultures there are wide variations in frequency and types of violence. They do not indicate why in some cultures responding with violence seems to be the norm, whereas other societies report very little violence, with murder almost nil. Psychoanalyst Erich Fromm exposed cracks in the theory that we inherit aggression from primates by pointing out that although some of them are violent as a result of physical needs or for self-protection, humans are the only ones who have been known to kill for the sheer thrill of killing.

In their book The Will to Kill​—Making Sense of Senseless Murder, Professors James Alan Fox and Jack Levin state: “Some individuals are more prone to violence than others, yet free will still exists. The will to kill, though governed by numerous internal and external forces, still includes choice and human decision making, and thus accountability and culpability.”

Everywhere you see "..." I skipped something from the article.

edit on 15-2-2018 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

In Florida, the legal age for buying weapons is 18. Alcohol is 21. Raising the legal age for purchasing weapons to 25 would help reduce some shootings. It certainly wouldn't hurt.

My suggestion is to only allow assault weapons to be purchased by the Military and the Police. Control them like you do shoulder-held rocket launchers, and other weapons of mass destruction.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   

a reply to: CreationBro

Maybe Empathy for others, and Personal self-regard must BOTH be present, for living a happy life.

Yes

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

You're right. Politicians today are pretty much worthless. We have commercials from Illinois governor candidates filling the airwaves in Chicago. It's hard to believe that the population sends money to these people, while being screwed by them. Go figure.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I wonder what the suicide rate is between homeschool and public school children.

I can't find statistics, but this article says that homeschooled children tend to avoid the spike in suicides that occur every September, when students have to go back to school after Summer break.
www.intellectualtakeout.org...

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stevenjames15

ATS is driven by mental illness.

Don't be hard on the ATS owners and moderators. Surely you're not stating that you and me..the MEMBERS..are mentally ill?

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:14 PM
link   
The government encouraged the manufacture and importation of military firearms for criminal use. This was intended to foster a feeling of insecurity, which would lead the American people to voluntarily disarm themselves by passing laws against firearms. Using drugs and hypnosis on mental patients in a process called Orion, the CIA inculcated the desire in these people to open fire on schoolyards and thus inflame the antigun lobby. This plan is well under way, and so far is working perfectly. The middle class is begging the government to do away with the 2nd amendment.

- Bill Cooper.

edit on 15-2-2018 by maluminse because: full quote

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

Thanks for posting that article. It was an enjoyable read!

Personally, I can't think of any reason why a civilian would need an assault rife. Even if there is, the wanna-be purchaser should be interviewed by law enforcement, and given a certificate to go buy one, if L.E. feels his/her need is real.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:22 PM
link   

I wonder which weapons are "assault weapons"? I mean, even if I am target shooting at stumps, am I not assaulting the stump? Is there any weapon which is not by definition an "assault weapon"?

That's the problem with any laws that want to ban guns. They are usually written by people who have no earthly idea what a gun even is. So when a law is passed that criminalizes, say, fully auto machine guns, they don't think about things like bump stocks that can do essentially the same thing, and a few year later we have Las Vegas. The simple truth is that it is not possible to get rid of all the guns; that genie just won't get back in the bottle. Even if there was a way someone could magically make all guns in America disappear overnight and shut down every gun manufacturer, within a week there would be a black market selling guns someone made in their basement, every bit as deadly as the meanest looking AR-15 ever conceived.

And of course, anyone with one would be unstoppable... no one else would have a way to stop them.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: maluminse
The government encouraged the manufacture and importation of military firearms for criminal use. This was intended to foster a feeling of insecurity, which would lead the American people to voluntarily disarm themselves by passing laws against firearms.

- Bill Cooper.

That's not a logical public reaction to criminals bearing firearms, Bill.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Since MENTAL ILLNESS is the primary cause of mass-shootings, it must ALSO be mental illness that triggers the majority of suicides amongst young people in America. (Commonality)

Citations please.

Any citation would merely be from an "expert". The same ones who are all over the airwaves after each mass killing, attempting to explain WHY people do this. Naturally, they aren't GOD, but you have to start with the most logical conclusion. Doesn't MENTAL ILLNESS make sense to you, IIB?

Define "Mental Illness".

And I'll argue 'half' the people out there on drugs for such dont even 'need' them, in fact most probably dont.

Now you want to blame drugs, well lets see some data.

Lacking any of that, we know for a fact that the MSM driven Mass Shooter Contagion Effect is a major leading cause in driving mass shootings (for 'fame').

Take all the kids, program them all to be a certain way (impulsive, emotionally driven, obsessed with popularity / fame, etc) their entire lives, then when some are naturally at the bottom of the pecking order, well they start to snap, and when they do they look at the TV and "WOW I can be FAMOUS in pursuit of sticking it to all these assholes in school".

Now if you want to argue that 'everyone' is 'mentally ill' from the programming we've all been getting, well that could be a fun discussion (which I more or less discuss 'it' in half my OP's LOL) although it isnt technically accurate.
edit on 15-2-2018 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Assault weapon is a misnomer. Assault being a verb or in this case an adjective and weapon being the noun. However, lets gloss over that fact to push an agenda...as has been slowly done since Columbine. A pistol can be an assault weapon. If i use a baseball bat as a weapon for..assault. It is then an assault bat?

For a free thought exercise, let's imagine all guns are gone. Poof!!! Will mass killings stop?

Let's try something else. Lets go back in time before the invention of the firearm. Were there still mass killings?

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:30 PM
link   

I see your point. "If there's a will, there's a way", comes to mind. Raising the legal age to 25 probably wouldn't work either, if the 19 year-old is determined to get ahold of a AR-15.

What gets me is how even law enforcement doesn't seem to want to get rid of guns that can kill 100 people in only a few minutes. Or, how they know who the killers are here in Chicago, but rarely take them out.

Maybe it's similar to how doctors need illnesses...and ministers need the devil.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Yes, you would be using an assault bat. If you throw a brick at someone, it is an assault brick. Hit a dog with a switch, and you just assaulted that dog with an assault switch. As far as that goes, if I spit on someone, I am guilty of using assault spit to assault them.

That's how ridiculous the argument against assault weapons is, and most people don't even realize how ridiculous their argument is.

For a free thought exercise, let's imagine all guns are gone. Poof!!! Will mass killings stop?

Nope.

Let's try something else. Lets go back in time before the invention of the firearm. Were there still mass killings?

Yep.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:34 PM
link   
If someone wants to kill, you won't change that attitude by taking away firearms.

You have to change the PERSON, not his tool.

Might as well say that if you're hungry, taking away your fork will stop the hunger.

edited for clarity
edit on 15-2-2018 by DBCowboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:37 PM
link   

The ridiculous factor is long gone. It's gone full on spastic.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
I don't know enough about how the mind works, to name all the different types of mental illnesses. For instance, there's a name for the illness that makes a person want to wash their hands all the time.

My definition of mental illness is very broad. Maybe there's a specific name for the type that causes people to want to commit mass murders, or commit suicide. I don't know.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join