It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass Shootings and Suicides In Amerca - Both Have MENTAL ILLNESS in Common.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Keep banging that "its them vidya games dammit!" drum.

Science disagrees, but you obviously know better.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

True. However there is a link between antisocial behavior and video games and that lends itself to sociopathic and sometimes violent behavior. That alone isn't always the catalyst for violent outbursts and habits.

I think the thing here is that it's actually a multi faced and very deep problem. There is no simple point to culprit for this kind of behavior.

It's too easy (and wrong) to point to one think that may or may not be similar and blame that exclusively, in this case video games of film. Experiences, environment and genetics all play a roll as well. It's a deep rabbit hole that we as a species have yet to go fully down in order to understand, let alone remedy.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Well said, I agree 100%, it is the person and not the gun that kills people. A gun doesn't shoot unless someone pulls the trigger.

But then again...

Trump Signs Bill Revoking Obama-Era Gun Checks for People With Mental Illnesses

Things like this aren't helping matters at all.
edit on 2/15/2018 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Since MENTAL ILLNESS is the primary cause of mass-shootings, it must ALSO be mental illness that triggers the majority of suicides amongst young people in America. (Commonality)

Citations please.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I think the thing here is that it's actually a multi faced and very deep problem. There is no simple point to culprit for this kind of behavior.

Exactly, which is why I think it's flat-out idiotic to fixate on one issue that's been proven to not be the core problem.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   
What else do you expect from the everybody gets a trophy nanny state?
Everybody blames everyone but themselves for their problems.

The country needs a culling.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

For someone who seeks to purport middle of the road, you sure are pushing a false agenda.

The bill was singed because it was a gross overstep of the 4th and 2nd amendments. Same with no fly lists. We are all entitled to due process.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Exactly, which is why I think it's flat-out idiotic to fixate on one issue that's been proven to not be the core problem.

Indeed.

This will all be forgotten about by the next shooting that happens. Then we can dredge it all up again. Are we too lazy and bloated to actually fix a real problem?

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   

I’m not wasting my time on you.

If you would have a reasonable conversation and concede points and counterpoints it might be worth it.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   
We also have mental health problems in Canada and yet we never hear of mass shootings on a regular basis, I wonder why that is?
edit on 15-2-2018 by donnydeevil because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

A legitimate question: do those studies use children who are on psychoactive medications?

It is a known fact that some (if not all) psychoactive drugs have serious psychological side effects. If those effects, say, blurring the line between reality and fantasy, were to be active while children were spending hours per day virtually shooting and stabbing and blowing up the 'enemy,' is it conceivable that the combination could lead to a less empathetic and social nature? Now add in social media... less actual human interaction and more interaction with people as pixels on a screen. I think it is entirely feasible that the combination may be deadly, even if each component taken in a vacuum is not.

That segways me into something that has been bothering me about this latest shooting. I learned today that Nikolas Cruz purchased his AR-15 legally, using his own money, a year ago. If he is 19 now, that means he was 18 then. I thought the legal age to buy a gun was 21?

Now I think everyone who has seen me post knows how adamant I am about the 2nd Amendment. On that subject, I think I'm right of Alex Jones. But we do not allow children to exercise a lot of rights because of the simple fact that they are children, and that is proper IMO. The right to keep and bear arms should be no different, and becomes especially concerning when we consider that the above thoughts on pharmaceutical use, violence in media, and Internet isolation might be true. If so, we have an entire generation of children who have been mentally damaged. How do we resolve that with the rights enumerated in the US Constitution?

My suggestion: raise the legal age to own firearms to 25. Allow an exception: age 19 to purchase a non-semi-auto rifle or a single-action revolver, if they take and pass a gun safety course, and only from a licensed gun dealer. After a few years as a gun owner, a background check means much more than it would on someone who has never had the opportunity to own one, so allow a further exception: after 4 years of gun ownership, one may purchase any legal weapon.

If something like this ever gains traction, anyone with an honorable discharge from the military (I think that covers medical and stuff like that?) gets to be treated as though they are 25, and anyone married to a person age 25 or older gets to be treated like they are 25.

That is no different than what some states are doing with graduated driving licenses. Give these kids the chance to ease into gun ownership. Don't expect them to magically become responsible adults overnight when their lives have been sheltered until that special day... it ain't ever gonna happen. And it requires no adjustment to the 2nd Amendment and removes no rights from legitimate gun owners. And it helps insure that kids with wild emotional swings are not suddenly armed with no idea of what to do with the gun in their hand.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Indeed.

This will all be forgotten about by the next shooting that happens. Then we can dredge it all up again. Are we too lazy and bloated to actually fix a real problem?

Politicians don't want to solve this problem.

They don't want to solve the homeless, the hungry, the opioid, the war on terror, unemployment, education. . . . . . problems.

They want us cowering in our homes praying for salvation from government.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I wonder what the suicide rate is between homeschool and public school children.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Only government can prevent forest fires.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

Only government can prevent forest fires.

F'in government probably starts them.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Would follow the MO of other wars.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   

ATS is driven by mental illness.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ErrorErrorError

a reply to: ErrorErrorError

Hollywood movies and Video Games have removed the remorse and fear of killing. Some movies/games even glorify it.

Those who have mental or genetic predisposition towards violence, or suicide are easily "triggered" in today's society, where parents lack showing ACTIVE love.

Kids in Europe watch those movies too and they still don't go out and murder people because of it.

Perhaps more LOVE is bestowed upon them by their parents.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Science? Ha. They need to stick with studying and manipulating the physical world. Emotional reactions aren't quantifiable like that.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Since MENTAL ILLNESS is the primary cause of mass-shootings, it must ALSO be mental illness that triggers the majority of suicides amongst young people in America. (Commonality)

Citations please.

Any citation would merely be from an "expert". The same ones who are all over the airwaves after each mass killing, attempting to explain WHY people do this. Naturally, they aren't GOD, but you have to start with the most logical conclusion. Doesn't MENTAL ILLNESS make sense to you, IIB?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join