It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America & Guns

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: GafferUK1981

Let's ask ourselves, Who are these people that commit these mass murders?

They are the mentally ill.
They are ne'er-do-wells.

But the common denominator is, they are our neighbors. These people come from our own communities.

We are failing ourselves in our own backyards so to speak.

I'm not going to go all bible thumper on you but the breakdown of the family and being involved in your own community, such as church for an example, are behaviors that are disintegrating in this country.

The answers to these problems can't be solved by the government but by the people.

We have to get in touch with ourselves and be more conscious on a local level.

And when it comes to guns, the main reason as to not giving them up is the reason all of our other problems haven't been solved.

WE CAN'T TRUST THE GOVERNMENT.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Indrasweb

Ooooo! Five stabbings, two dead and several injured in ONE WHOLE NIGHT? In the ENTIRE country?

And there it is. Of course you know it isn't just "five stabbings." But your cruel mocking attitude sure shows that you really don't give a damn about those victims. I'm sure their loved ones are grieving and hurting just as much as the families of those killed by guns. But that's just a big joke to you. So this isn't really about life or victims for you, just about those pesky guns.

Okay. Thanks for the heads up.

link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Come on name an American food, teach me of your culinary delights please

link   
Now I'm not a proponent of en masse firearm confiscation as gun ownership is as American as American gets, but I do wonder sometimes if the Chinese don't maybe regret letting the white western devil take a gander at their magical black boom powder. We probably would have figured it out anyway eventually but that was probably the one of the biggest advancements for the western imperial war machine. What else does it say about western culture when the main thing the Chinese used it for was fireworks for celebratory events but westerners immediately thought "Hey we can weaponize this stuff and use it to project metal objects of death at high velocity towards our enemies."
edit on 15-2-2018 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:05 AM
link   

I don't want you to change your laws for me. I would have just thought you would prefer it if your schoolchildren weren't shot to bits every few weeks.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: GafferUK1981

No thanks.
You were bragging up your cuisine.
I made no brags about ours.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Corn.

link   

I don't want you to change your laws for me. I would have just thought you would prefer it if your schoolchildren weren't shot to bits every few weeks.

My schoolchildren haven't been shot to bits at all, l3t alone every few weeks.

link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Sublimecraft.....I applaud your words..spot on.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   

No I wasn't I was responding to a post criticising our cuisine by saying what is American food other than normal food covered in cheese?

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Britians the same...ever heard of Piers morgan.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

Haha.. oh dear, playing the poor victim.

Of course the circumstances in the article you posted are exceptional or it wouldn't have made national headlines!

The fact is, the number of stabbings in the uk are a tiny TINY fraction of the shootings in the states (and it's not about population size, which is why I included that London has 4x the population of Chicago).

I was making light of the the fact that your argument was hilariously tenuous.

In regards to people actually dying; of course I have empathy and of course I care. However, this isn't a thread about weeping and gnashing our teeth is it?

Oh and because you either missed it or deliberately ignored it (twice):

I have ZERO objection to responsible gun ownership and use. It has no direct effect on me whatsoever whether you guys have guns or not. It is none of my business what policies you choose to have in the states. This is a discussion board where we can talk about whatever we choose and voice our opinions. That is all.

edit on 15-2-2018 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

link   

a reply to: eriktheawful

Thank you for your well thought out response, please know that I am not trying to talk down to you cos I feel I know better. I genuinely want to know why America is in the state it is in.

I have to ask though, do you think you could still feed your family with one hunting rifle and protect them with one handgun?

Are the kind of weapons used in school shootings really required?

Like a wrench, you need different sizes depending up on the nut or bolt.

Guns are the same thing: difference in caliber means a lot.

For exampe: if I want to bring down a deer, I'm not going to use a .22 carbine. I'll use a Marlin 360 .30-30.....at the same time however, if I used that Marlin 360 on a rabbit...well, their won't be much left of the rabbit to eat. Take a look at my son Josh using the Marlin 360 on a watermellon last 4th of July and you'll understand why:

Duck and Geese: you need to use a shotgun....very hard to shoot them out of the sky with a solid slug (not to mention you can't control where that slug falls if you miss, you can actually kill someone that way. Shotgun shot will only sting a little when it falls out of the sky).

Home defense: I personally like a shotgun (12 gauge Mossberg ), my wife likes her 9mm (and being ex army, she's used to handling it better).

The amount of guns and ammo does not mater.

INTENT is what matters. I have no desire to go out and kill people. I only desire to feed and protect my family, and I certainly do not trust the government to do that. American used to be about personal responsibility.......but too many people are trying very hard to turn us into a nanny state, where we have to depend on our government, and not ourselves.

That's a large chunk of what is wrong with our country over the past few decades.

link   

well, do you have any predators threatening your livestock? I do.
Are you 45 minutes to an hour from having emergency personel arrive wgen needed?
My family is
Are there armed (guns, knives, screwdrivers whatever)thugs, gypsies, cartels in your area kidnapping your daughters for the sex trade...without nearby police protection? There are here...in fact its the number one crime where we live.
How about the usual, I like venison.
edit on 15-2-2018 by BlueJacket because: eta

link   

You see, that's just it....define what "kind" of weapon you think was used in the shooting?

Define a "hunting rifle"...exactly.

Define a "handgun"...precisely.

For any definition you can come up with, I can come up with one which breaks the rule. Bottom line, you won't be able to do it.

Now if you want to 'ban' something, how about starting with first person shooter video games, ones that glorify killing people, ones that make it seem easy and cool. How about starting there?

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: Gothmog

And if we had had gun control at one time we would still be a colony and taxed into oblivion...

Sadly the 2nd part is still true...

Well , at least it goes to US politicians .....and not to royalty overseas (or does it ?)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   

The question again is how does America stop these events from occurring?

Properly deal with mental health issues and stop prescribing dangerous medications that cause people to want to go on murder sprees.

I see another well worn and lazy reason why Americans won't give up their guns. "It will empower the criminals".

That's true. Gun crime is highest in areas with the strictest gun control laws, and vice versa. That's because criminals know people aren't armed and able to defend themselves, so they have free reign to rob and rape as they please.

Surely if laws were introduced that carried long prison time just by possessing certain firearms the number of guns owned by criminals would reduce.

You know what else is illegal and results in hard prison sentences? Rape. Murder. Selling drugs. The fact that those things are illegal doesn't stop them from happening. Do you know why? Criminals don't care if something is illegal. It's absolutely foolish to think that if gun ownership is made illegal, criminals are suddenly going to start caring about the law and turn in their guns. Think about what you just said for a minute... If someone is already willing to commit a serious crime with a gun, then they're not afraid of whether or not it's illegal to have the gun in the first place.

Another ridiculous argument that is going around today is "we need more guns".

If you arm your school teachers you have failed as a country, I'm sorry but that is a fact.

If you arm your school teachers, mass shooters won't have free reign to shoot up the school.

Come on America please tell this outsider looking in what it would take for you to hand over your guns or at the very least the guns that are capable of killing lots of people in one go.

The guns that are capable of killing lots of people? Anybody can make a homemade bomb that will kill alot more people than a gun. The Boston Marathon bombing injured hundreds of people from two relatively easy to make devices. In Nice, France 84 were killed and 100 injured when someone drove a truck into a crowd.
Guns aren't the problem, criminals are the problem. When you take guns away, the criminals find other ways to kill people while the innocents are left defenseless.
There's a reason you have a pandemic of knife attacks over there with being being stabbed to death.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:12 AM
link   

No I wasn't I was responding to a post criticising our cuisine by saying what is American food other than normal food covered in cheese?

You said your food is fine.
I said that it is fine for you.
I found it to be crap.
That offends you.
Sorry that your lot have poor taste.

Cheese. I really don't care much for it. It is one of my least favorite foods, ranking just above lima beans.
edit on b000000282018-02-15T08:12:57-06:0008America/ChicagoThu, 15 Feb 2018 08:12:57 -0600800000018 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Gumbo - cooked with love and a sh!t ton of ingredients, craw fish being prime among them.

Now, I salivate.

I swear, if its a culinarygasm you're after, and can handle spicey, Gumbo is the schiizzzzzzz.

LOOK AT THIS - LOOK AT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Indrasweb

This is a discussion board where we can talk about whatever we choose and voice our opinions.

Yup. You expressed yours in the most mocking and disrespectful way possible. Noted.

That is all.

Yup. Mocking and disrespect is all you've got. So please don't expect me to believe you've got anything more than that. You made yourself crystal clear. Good job. And, again, thanks for the heads up.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join