It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Linking Mass Murders to Psychotropic Medications

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I take psychotropic medication because otherwise I suffered from bad enough anxiety I wanted to jump off a cliff (not really but had played it over in my mind as a better alternative to the unbearable anxiety).

Do you suggest I met that fear head on and just got it over with there and then, rather than seek help and medication that now allows me to lead a relatively normal life?

And by the way, I'm as disgusted and shocked about these mass murders as you or anybody else.

Perhaps you can explain why these mass murders only seem to occur in the USA with any regularity, not Canada, or Europe, or elsewhere? Millions are on psychotropic medication all over the world yet it's the USA with the mass murders on a regular basis.

Guns are the problem.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I am not positive of anything, but we have to ask all the questions if we really want to find an answer.

I have no doubt some peoples lives are saved by the pills, but like you said everyone is different and if it was a bad mixture of drugs, prescription and otherwise it needs to be figured out so actual steps can be taken.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: hombero

Do you suggest a person with anxiety is the same as a psychopath?
Is a pedophile the same as someone with anorexia?

And they are all taking the same drug?

edit on 15-2-2018 by Peeple because: Add

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Ok
Across the board they're worse to come off?
For everyone?
For every med no matter the dose and if people are coming off it properly?

How you come off makes a huge difference.
Drugs can be terrible for some and a life saver for others. Who are we to decide.

Let's say for a fact it's the pills. Pretty small number of freak ours considering how many people are on meds.
Should the people they help have to suffer without cause a small number flip out?

Not saying meds don't play a factor in some people but it is not across the board and there are other factors.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

Do you suggest a person with anxiety is the same as a psychopath?
Is a pedophile the same as someone with anorexia?

And they are all taking the same drug?

Do you recall when the way to address any of these issues was therapy? Not drugs? It is simple logic that drugs only repress the issues. Otherwise one wouldn't need to keep taking the drugs.

An easy out. A trap. A lifelong one. Ka-ching, ka -ching. Profit. Blame that gun. That piece of metal and wood that otherwise just sits there and does nothing.

I will keep mine. No, I will buy another one. With more range and hitting power. To protect my family.

link   

Its not even just guns that are the problem - other countries have guns. It is our gun culture. Our culture literally worships guns. Guns are right up there with God - same level of importance. To many, guns are the solution to all our problems.

This obsession with guns is the problem. I don't see any way to fix that, at least not today or tomorrow.

link   
a reply to: SecretsoftheBlueApples

I was statione at USAFA from 2010-2012. I remember doing numerous "Active Shooter" training exercises. Whether it was out at Jack's Valley or on the hill...I feel like we had at least one per quarter. However, one thing stands out about the Academy population. It's one of the top academic institutions in the country with the rare luxury of dipping into a person's medical history to determine entry.

Students who attend institutions like USAFA are well vetted and groomed for entry prior to their first day. Granted, some experience the difficulties of the academic and military requirements and struggle internally, but the vast majority as well disciplined (I know...they're still college students) and able to handle life's challenges. Have we had an active shooter at a Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc? I know of the University of Texas and Va Tech incidents. I can't recall any ivy league schools. So I wonder if that says anything.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

From the pharmacologists?
You seem a bit... tense yourself.
I don't believe shooting someone and desolving from a pretty much still working state to farm/family tribes is necessary to fix it.

But I wholeheartedly agree with the more therapy less drugs part.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I understand your point. Mine is the drug doesn't fix anything. At best, it allows a person to cope. Now, instead therapy, the drug is no long a temporary assist. It is now automatic. A rubber stamp. The original issue is never addressed, never fixed.

A potentially lifelong 'temporary' fix. It is not a solution. It is an escape. Just like all mind-altering drugs.

Forget the mass shootings. I know people who took 'urge suppressing' drugs to quit smoking who lost all sexual urges, as well. Ended up breaking up the family via divorce. People who after six months from stopping hadn't recovered their personal equilibrium.

Finally, your point on coming off of the drug. It doesn't matter, in the sense that the original issue the person had is still there!!

This is known, google the issue. Study after study, outside the MSM, outside the Big Pharma machine. Experts.

"Here's your prescription".

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

From the pharmacologists?
You seem a bit... tense yourself.
I don't believe shooting someone and desolving from a pretty much still working state to farm/family tribes is necessary to fix it.

But I wholeheartedly agree with the more therapy less drugs part.

LOL. It's a world that invokes 'tenseness', at times. Dealing with it is a better solution. Some 'tenseness' is actually fun. Even 'healthy'.

Some are tense/fear guns. Some are tense and fear NOT having guns. Some feel there should be no tenseness, ever. A 'stress-free' existence. Not on this planet.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Ok man.
If you say so

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   
And the underlying issue is always there.
If someone takes meds for high blood pressure it's kept in check cause the meds. Stop the meds and not in check anymore.

You also are focused on the people that freaked out who also happened to be on meds even though we don't know for sure the meds caused it.

What about the people that don't freak out and are able to cope cause of the meds?

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
And the underlying issue is always there.
If someone takes meds for high blood pressure it's kept in check cause the meds. Stop the meds and not in check anymore.

You also are focused on the people that freaked out who also happened to be on meds even though we don't know for sure the meds caused it.

What about the people that don't freak out and are able to cope cause of the meds?

So your ok with them staying on those meds from there on out? That solution is the only out for them? For life?

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

I am ok with people staying on meds for life if they need them. Not saying all docs in all the land make the right decisions but you and I are certainly not qualified in this matter.
Some people need meds

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Indrasweb

You are correct, except that it is well known that these drugs do cause homocidal tendencies. It’s part of the drug warnings.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   
To anyone who currently uses Psychotropic medications, I don’t presume to know what your personal situations are that have you needing to use such medications, nor is it any of my business. I don’t judge anyone who has a prescription, but I do, however, reserve judgment on the overall effect of them. Including, the side effects. Perhaps some people react differently. Some can handle it, others suffer greatly from the adverse reactions.

If we’re going to say that guns are the problems then we absolutely have to include psychotropic medications into the equation. The sheer number of mass shootings where the shooter is taking some kind of pill for a mental health condition cannot be ignored.

How do we find the solution? How do we make sure that people who truly do need some pharmaceutical assistance get the care they need without quarantining them from society and ignoring their rights? How do we ensure the rights of every American with the right to bear arms aren’t infringed upon? Most importantly, how do we protect the innocent lives of our youth and the freedoms we all strive to have?

I’m a firm believer of the 2nd Amendment; but we MUST assess the access of weapons to those who are unable to handle them responsibly.

I’m a firm believer of everyone’s right to the best healthcare possible and the privacy that comes with it. But when someone is given medications that have such serious side effects, we MUST assess their access to guns and societal interactions.

Our education system needs reassessed. The ease these kids have to getting weapons into schools and being left unchecked for enough time to slaughter innocent lives is mind boggling when you consider how many school shootings we should have learned from.

I have some official statistics I’ll present later when I can get to my computer. (Can’t do so from my phone). Perhaps more context to the conversation.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: BotheLumberJack
a reply to: Assassin82

My heart goes out to you, kids don't need to be medicated. The Doctor who invented ADHD /ADD admitted before he passed that there's no such thing, he made it all up.

This confirms what Dr. Jeffrey Schaler says about psychiatry...

He describes it as a fraudulent tool used for political purposes to silence and suppress the masses who openly express beliefs that contradict official dogma...

The diagnosis of mental illness is always a weapon. ~ Dr. Jeffrey Schaler

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I hate it when people try to use mental health as a scapegoat in this rather than addressing the real elephant in the room.

Is mental illness a factor, sure it is, it takes a pretty messed up mind to gun down a class of children.

yet these mass shootings are a uniquely American problem and mental illness is not. In the UK something like 1 in 4 people will have a mental illness at some point in their life, yet we have very few mass shootings. So to say its just about. mental illness is flawed.

This line of thinking only adds additional stigma to those with mental illnesses.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

blame anything but the steel my friend

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

The underlying factor is too big to discuss, the general population will suffer, and the people selling the pills will profit. You can only take individual responsibility for your health. Which sometimes means being seen as going against the trend. The modern diet is killing people and no one says a word.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join