It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Linking Mass Murders to Psychotropic Medications

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Yet another school shooting, and immediately the conversation turns to guns. This thread isn’t about guns though...it’s about what I believe to be the true and underlying force behind this social disconnect demonstrated by lost souls who go on a rampage and commit atrocities on a seemingly weekly basis.

Psychotropic medications; they are a common link to almost all mass murders. Our perception of mental illness is flawed. Flawed in the sense that we seek pills to cure our woes rather than face the fears of life head on. Those pills are disconnecting people from their own humanity.

**I’m hoping to create a conversation on this topic in light of yesterday’s school shooting. Im not an expert, just someone with an opinion like everyone else. If this conversation takes off, I won’t be able to interact with it much until later in the day. But I’m hoping a thought provoking dialogue can be had among all contributors. This isn’t a hit and run thread. I’ll return and contribute more later today when I can.**

And with that I’d like to start with this interview done by Joe Rogan with Dr. Kelly Brogan, a Psychiatrist and Net York Times best selling author. If you don’t like Joe, that’s cool. But give her a listen if you’re willing.

**I’m on my mobile at the moment, so not sure if the video will pop up or just the link. Sorry in advance**

Kelly Brogan Interview

Here's a direct link to an article she wrote discussing the matter.

Mass Shootings: The New Manifestation of an Ancient Phenomenon and their link to Psychiatric Drugs

And some additional information from a Mental Health Watchdog groupPsychiatric Drugs and Mass Shootings

edit on 15-2-2018 by Assassin82 because: Added information

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 05:08 AM
link   
On a personal note, my son was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD when he was 3. THREE!! His mother and I were never married, and she refused to listen to my thoughts on the matter. He’s been on various pills for it since then.

When I see him on those pills and I see the stupor that sometimes comes over his face as a result of the medications is crushed my heart. And I know for a fact he doesn’t need them. I communicate with him, listen to him, teach him and coach him to learn to control his own mind. And he does fine without them.

His relationship with his mom is not a good one. (I’m fighting for custody of him but that’s a different story). She doesn’t work with him...she relies on the medications to do the work for her. And that’s a problem.

I’m not saying every child who takes these meds will go crazy...but not every person in this world needs a magic pill.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Been saying it for too long.
The pills are bad.
Turns people into sociopaths.
I guess they're not feeling depressed when they kill innocent people without remorse.
They've got that going for them.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Yep. Every one

Another point is antibiotic use. Every dose of antibiotics creates a higher likeleyhood of depression and anxiety which then leads to psychotropic use.

These are well known facts yet nothing changes ?

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that pharma is the spawn of the nazi regime. Not in a round about way but quite directly.

Oh yeah glyphosate also causes depression and anxiety. Mmm almost like there is a pattern there

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 05:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Assassin82

My heart goes out to you, kids don't need to be medicated. The Doctor who invented ADHD /ADD admitted before he passed that there's no such thing, he made it all up.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Best of luck with your kid, my sisters youngest went through some bad stuff and got on the pill table round robin. She recently turned 18 and told her mom and her therapist get me off these things, I am losing who I am. She might have to spend as much time being weaned off them as she has been taking them.

I was wondering about this last night, could it be an unknown side effect from two different pills, or the pills interacting with some of the chemicals we use to preserve our food.

Got me, take someone way smarter than me to figure this out.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

We're finding out more and more how terrible the American diet is, and I wonder if that contributes to it. The lack of proper nutrition combined with the mental disconnect from medications? Perhaps.

My wife and I recently tried reducing the amount of carbohydrates in our diet. Drastically! No bread, pasta, pizza, etc...The results are beyond just physical. I lost 7 pounds in 10 days, my joints felt like they were 25 years old instead of 45 years old, I could run much, much longer and easier than I have in over a decade....and....my mind is clearer, sharper and less fatigued throughout the day.

SO...maybe there's something to be said for that. Perhaps the American diet is a contributing factor. Carbs are basically just fillers; they have no nutritional value. Sugar is an addictive substance that can literally kill a human being over time. And maybe kids these days are growing up consuming carbs and sugars in amounts. I know most adults only eat garbage. Anyway...I'm rambling...it's something worth considering and discussing as a contributing underlying factor.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Medication to young children for anything behaviour related should be last resort.

In most cases, as you are experiencing, the problems lie with parents (or a parent).

The trouble is people are stupid nowadays, stupid and lazy. Uneducated, stupid and lazy. They rely on the expert advice telling them to give the pills to their kids, when really a bit (or a lot) of coaching will suffice.

Children are always hyperactive after sugar and additives. We had those things banned at our school when we were kids to stop the bad behaviour. Now we just give kids a medication side dish to eat with their pills.

I hope you can get custody.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Pills can also do wonders for people.
Everyone is different and I don't think any 1 thing can be blamed.
I think it's lots of factors we did not have 25 years ago. Meds, and not just psych
Modified foods. Preserves. #in cell phone waves all over. Amount of guns available. Mommy didn't love me. And on and on.

Lots of factors.

Can't out all the blame on meds just like we can't put all the blame on guns.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

I agree, to a degree...I've seen some cases where pharmaceuticals truly do help a person who has chemical or hormonal imbalances related to some other cause. But the amount of people, not even just young people, that are being prescribed pills is obscene and completely uncalled for. In the name of profits though....

Go for a walk or a run, challenge the mind, eat healthier, live life....all of those things should be completely exhausted before going on medications. Also, it's time for a major reform of our educational system. Not even just the academics of it, but we need to look at the entire process of how our youth are learning how to socialize with others. It's not working! In fact, it's doing the opposite.
edit on 15-2-2018 by Assassin82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Don't forget to coddle little Jimmy #hispants.. Thats one of the BIGGEST issues, Jimmy NEEDS attention. Look how He is screaming for attention just on His internet traffic, then to be 'noticed' He felt He needed to do something BIG and instead of damaging Self, He lashed out..

Just look at the threads on ATS™ now, if it ain't Trump, its in the dump...

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:01 AM
link   

The real problem is the never ending blame that's put on everything else but the real problem. We have a gun society, it's our absolute, the only means of defense sold to us.
The United States is not the only country which prescribes psychiatric drugs to people.

I'm not going to buy the pills angle, the statistics don't work. Drugs wouldn't have a weapon of choice, we should see mass stabbings or mass vacuum cleaner homicides, since guns aren't a variable on some people's minds for some reason... but we don't.

Gun violence is intertwined in our entertainment and Constitution.

How many more need to die senselessly before we reform our gun laws, and no, this doesn't necessarily mean 'take away' the guns...
edit on 15-2-2018 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

The real problem is the never ending blame that's put on everything else but the real problem. We have a gun society, it's our absolute, the only means of defense sold to us.
The United States is not the only country which prescribes psychiatric drugs to people.

I'm not going to buy the pills angle, the statistics don't work. Drugs wouldn't have a weapon of choice, we should see mass stabbings or mass vacuum cleaner homicides, since guns aren't a variable on some people's minds for some reason... but we don't.

Gun violence is intertwined in our entertainment and Constitution.

How many more need to die senselessly before we reform our gun laws, and no, this doesn't necessarily mean 'take away' the guns...

Ok. But I’m more focused on discussing the psychotropic medication crisis and culture in our country. Plenty of other threads to discuss guns in.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Correlation does not prove causation.

Look at it another way;

If you have a serious mental health problem then your resulting behaviour is likely to have a serious impact on you and those around you. This means you're much more likely to come into contact with police and eventually doctors. Therefore, you're more likely to be prescribed medication for your illness.

Those committing these crimes are likely seriously unwell. Could it be that their behaviour is linked to their illness, and the fact that people engaging in these behaviours are more likely to be on medication is secondary to the actual cause of their violent conduct?

Put simply, if you're the kind of person who's likely to go shoot a school full of kids, you're likely to have come to the attention of medical professionals prior to the incident and, therefore are more likely to be prescribed medication for your illness.

Correlation does not prove causation.
edit on 15-2-2018 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Of course it's related to the drugs.
These kids doing the shooting used to be the quiet ones in the back of the room.
They were the ones that killed themselves and everyone said, "he was an odd kid"
Now with the antidepressants being pushed on these kids they go a shooting.

We always had people with mental health problems but the shootings didn't take hold until after the drugs took hold.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I'm gonna say a big nope on this one. If it were true there would be similar mass murders all over the world.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Indrasweb

Those committing these crimes are likely seriously unwell. Could it be that their behaviour is linked to their illness, and the fact that people engaging in these behaviours are more likely to be on medication is secondary to the actual cause of their violent conduct?

At the time of the Colmbine shooting, I was working as a medical transcriptionist for a children's behavioral health center, which treated both in-patients and out-patients. The vast majority of these kids had no history of harming others, although many had a history of harming themselves. There were many psychotropic medications which were known to cause suicidal and homicidal ideation, and those medications were only prescribed to in-patients in order that the staff could closely monitor these kids for adverse side effects, including suicidal and homicidal ideation. Their blood was tested regularly to monitor their serum levels and ensure they weren't getting too much, etc. In other words, kids on these medications were very closely supervised for exactly this reason.

This kind of medical supervision isn't possible with outpatients, and is not done as a rule. But these kids are still given powerful drugs with unknown adverse effects and sent on their way. Consequently, it is not only possible, but quite probable, that kids who previously showed no sign of homicidal ideation prior to taking certain medications will have homicidal ideations after taking these medications.

So while, obviously, these kids had problems before taking certain medications, it is known and proven that these medications will create more and bigger problems for at least some of these kids --including homicidal ideation -- and therefore will create more and bigger problems for the rest of us. And as long as the law allows Big Pharma to make Big Bucks on these medications with no oversight and no accountability, the number of kids taking these medications will increase, and the violence will increase.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy
I'm gonna say a big nope on this one. If it were true there would be similar mass murders all over the world.

By the same token, if it was just because of guns there would be mass murder all over the world.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Fact: At least 36 school shootings and/or school-related acts of violence have been committed by those taking or withdrawing from psychiatric drugs resulting in 172 wounded and 80 killed (in other school shootings, information about their drug use was never made public—neither confirming or refuting if they were under the influence of prescribed drugs). The most important fact about this list, is that these are only cases where the information about their psychiatric drug use was made public.

School shootings and their link to Psychiatric medication use

Here are just a few of the examples:

Columbine, Colorado – April 20, 1999: 18-year-old Eric Harris and his accomplice, Dylan Klebold, killed 12 students and a teacher and wounded 26 others before killing themselves. Harris was on the antidepressant Luvox. Klebold’s medical records remain sealed. Both shooters had been in anger-management classes and had undergone counseling. Harris had been seeing a psychiatrist before the shooting.

November 7, 2007: 18-year-old Finnish gunman Pekka-Eric Auvinen had been taking antidepressants before he killed eight people and wounded a dozen more at Jokela High School in southern Finland, then committed suicide.

DeKalb, Illinois – February 14, 2008: 27-year-old Steven Kazmierczak shot and killed five people and wounded 21 others before killing himself in a Northern Illinois University auditorium. According to his girlfriend, he had recently been taking the prescribed drugs Prozac, Xanax and Ambien but had stopped taking Prozac three weeks before the shooting. Toxicology results showed that he still had trace amount of Xanax in his system. He had been seeing a psychiatrist.

posted on Feb, 15 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Psychiatrists are glorified pill pushers sponsored by pharmas-my aunty is a psych and stopped short from admitting the truth...they warp your brain more than cannabis but apparently that is a more deadly drug.

Stop the guns and the meds-simple as that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join