It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeff Sessions’ answer to opioid crisis: Americans should opt for aspirin, ‘tough it out’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Take two aspirin and call him in the morning.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions thinks Americans could easily combat the growing opioid crisis if they would take over-the-counter medications for pain and “tough it out.”

“I am operating on the assumption that this country prescribes too many opioids,” Sessions said Wednesday as he touted the Trump administration’s efforts to combat drug abuse and trafficking. “People need to take some aspirin sometimes and tough it out a little.”

[url=https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nation/jeff-sessions-answer-to-opioid-crisis-americans-should-opt-for-aspirin-tough-it-out/]Source[/url ]

If anyone was still under the impression that Jeff Sessions was fit for anything other than winning a Crypt Keeper Look-A-like contest hopefully this changes your mind.

So we have a major opioid epidemic in this country. Jeff Sessions' solution? Tell people to take aspirin instead and sick it up.

Between this comment and his crusade against marijuana I'm starting to wonder if he has stock in Bayer. I seriously don't see how anyone can defend this callous, asinine, uneducated statement.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Par for the course for the mentality of many of our government officials.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   

What the U.S. Surgeon General dubbed "The Opioid Crisis" likely began with over-prescription of powerful opioid pain relievers in the 1990s, which led to them becoming the most prescribed class of medications in the United States.

Opioid Crisis

Seriously, take an aspirin.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Then maybe he should have a talk with the VA so they stop giving truck loads of addictive pills to vets in serious pain.

Stupid sot.,

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   
He might have a point on toughing it out a little. I have extreme back pain and I don't even take Tylenol. However, Sessions stance on "alternative" and natural pain relief doesn't sit well with me.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Yea he needs to legalize mj before he makes comments like this.

With that said i also say he is correct and we do issue too much popee.

OTC meds do help with inflammation and that helps pain plus many other pain management routes.

Recently my leg was out of socket and broke knee with 20 viks over a 6 month healing process.so im not just spittin bs here.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I don't anyone is arguing that opioids are overprescribed. They almost definitely are. But that doesn't make Sessions' statement any less idiotic. Telling people to suck it up and take an aspirin helps no one.

+9 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
From now on next time Sessions needs surgery for anything, he should only be given aspirin.

What an idiot.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Blunt? Yes. Are you disagreeing that some people should suck it up and take an aspirin or one of the many other OTC medicines?

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

In this instance, he's correct.

I know many, many people in the nursing and medical field, and they will say the same thing as Sessions right now. There is a dramatic issue with doctors overprescribing opioids, both in quantity and scenarios, and also with doctors not having an appropriate process to wean the patients off of the drugs when extended prescriptions are necessary.

So, are you disagreeing with his statement that there is an over-prescription issue, or that sometimes other non-opioid pain killers could work in their place?

Both times that I had surgery (once on each shoulder), I was prescribed opioids, and I chose not to take them. Instead, I took some ibuprofen and dealt with the pain. I know that, in those types of instances, pain is a good thing, and it actually helps me from overusing a part of my body that shouldn't be overused yet--pain is often a good thing in the long-run when it comes to some of this stuff.

I know that they are necessary at time, when pain can be utterly debilitating, but Sessions is finally right when saying what he did.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Painterz

Well I don't think he is arguing that people who need it shouldn't get it. He's saying don't go to the Dr. With chronic migraines and get prescribed hydrocodone.
edit on 9-2-2018 by Ursushorribilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
I don't anyone is arguing that opioids are overprescribed. They almost definitely are. But that doesn't make Sessions' statement any less idiotic. Telling people to suck it up and take an aspirin helps no one.

It makes a point in a dramatic fashion, which is how all people talk these days, especially in government.

It's not idiotic, just because you don't like the way that he said it.

If he had said, "People need to consider other options, including doctors, when it comes to their prescription pain killers, and even inquire as to whether or not it's best to use OTC drugs and deal with the pain a bit," would that have made it okay?

Because it's the exact same statement, just delivered differently, so if one is idiotic, both must be, correct?

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ursushorribilis
a reply to: Painterz

Well I don't think he is arguing that people who need it shouldn't get it. He's saying don't go to the Dr. With chronic migraines and get prescribed hydrocodone.

If only America had something like a National Health Service that could issue country-wide guidelines on what medications should be prescribed for what complaints.

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   

It does make his statement less idiotic, and makes any statement to the contrary more idiotic

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Sessions is just preparing us for the renewed war on drugs. He will need bodies to fill all those corporate prisons.

www.esquire.com...

Business as usual, believe me....

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Telling people to suck it up and take an aspirin helps no one.

It helps a lot more than prescribing a bottle of K-4's to someone who just had a tooth pulled.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   

2 Points.

1. Sessions is an idiot.

2. Everyone has a different tolerance to pain. So an aspirin might help some, others not.

Let doctors decide. Let's stop having politicians, pundits, keyboard warriors decide what medication a patient might need.

'Kay?

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ursushorribilis
He might have a point on toughing it out a little. I have extreme back pain and I don't even take Tylenol. However, Sessions stance on "alternative" and natural pain relief doesn't sit well with me.

he is correct in that they are prescribed too often.

maybe you have extreme back pain and dont take tylenol.

i doubt it though. the extreme part i mean.
pain maybe.
extreme. still maybe

everyone tolerates pain different.
what i can handle you may not be able to

lots of other factors too

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

And the government is now also trying to ban mitrogyna speciosa (kratom) which is a plant that has the same pain killing benefits as opioids but with NONE of the dangerous side effects. You can't overdose on it, can't die from it, and it benefits your health in other ways besides killing pain.

It is literally just a plant. It's actually the leaves of a tree that grows in Indonesia that is either chewed fresh or the leaves are dried and then brewed into a tea. Requires nothing to treat it and make it work.

So of course our government wants to ban it, because it would take away from Big Pharma.

I hope this isn't off topic and apologise if it is. I'm not surprised that Crypt Keeper Seasions said "just take an aspirin" and I wouldn't be surprised if he's supporting the attempted ban on kratom. His aspirin remark deserves some future karma- like he gets a terrible terrible disease with inceedible pain, but he can't get opioids for the pain and his doctor tells him "Man up and take two aspirin."

posted on Feb, 9 2018 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I hate this idiot so much. Trying to convince us he cares about the opiat crisis.

Cigarettes still kill 1 in 5 americans every year, Why doesnt he care about that crisis?

Oh because drug war and have to fill my private prisons.

And most of the right will agree with his dumb ass because hey hes on our team.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join