It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Myth of Hell

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Modern day Christianity preaches of Eternal Hellfire. In my opinion this concept of Hell was created to scare and convert people of different beliefs.

Logically it just doesn't make sense.

1. The punishment doesn't fit the crime.
30 years of adultery, or whatever your vice is, doesn't equate to eternal Hellfire.

2. It's anti-christian. Christianity preaches love and forgiveness. Hellfire is in direct conflict with the entire message of Christianity.

What do you think?

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Ursushorribilis

Things like good and evil, hell and heaven, they are translated in many ways and many stories, whos to say witch one is more based on actuality since we cannot test it and bring the results back too all to examinated the proves and be wiser. Still we can our selfs seek the truth between them and realize the importance of these stories and see errors in our ways (witch are great many) and learn what we can do from that.
Wonder about these things already is good sign for right direction.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

True, but Christianity likes its dogma and traditions...

Just wait, in a few moments you'll get a couple people stating "Jesus preached more about hell then any other topic"

Heard it so many times...

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:24 PM
link   

I have felt the same way. When Cain killed Able, God did not destroy him. He placed a name on his forehead and banished him from the garden of Eden. Cain then went east of Eden and married his wife and built a city. (Cain and Able being sons of Adam and Eve brings to question where his wife and the people that he built the city with came from).

I don't think the punishment meets the crime either of an eternity of extreme suffering. I also heard or read somewhere that suicide was a sin added by the church later because many were killing themselves to go to paradise. As far as the commandment thou shalt not kill goes it is explained elsewhere that murder is considered lying in wait to kill someone. It didn't apply to soldiers in war or suicide.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ursushorribilis
Modern day Christianity preaches of Eternal Hellfire. In my opinion this concept of Hell was created to scare and convert people of different beliefs.

30 years of adultery, or whatever your vice is, doesn't equate to eternal Hellfire.

2. It's anti-christian. Christianity preaches love and forgiveness. Hellfire is in direct conflict with the entire message of Christianity.

What do you think?

First of all 'Modern' Christianity is DOWNPLAYING hell fire. They call it 'eternal separation from God' - instead of the hellfire it is.

Second - Sin - is sin. Without Christ? You're going to be toast. It's not a pleasant thought, but it's a truth. There can be no justice without consequences.

Yes, Christ is the message of love and forgiveness. Without it? You will take the consequences of sin.

Isn't it great that all we have to do is believe on Christ - and we bypass all the hellfire crap?

Pretty simple message that.

For God SO LOVED the world, He gave His only begotten son, so whosoever believes in Him will NOT perish, but, have EVERLASTING LIFE!

WOOOHOOO!

Best. Thing. Ever!

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon

Just wait, in a few moments you'll get a couple people stating "Jesus preached more about hell then any other topic"

I think, if such a person did exist, and really was the real, he'd have informed them that the Earth is a sphere, and that we dont think with our "hearts" (as he's quoted) instead its our brains... and that alone they'd have eventually stoned him to death. Then he f'd up bigtime in challenging the money changer Jews and war monger Roman's.

Yep you're DEAD.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Christ taught more about forgiveness and the simplicity of believing in Him and His forgiveness that's offered to all men or all nations, than anything else.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Whatever makes you feel comfortable I guess. I actually look at hell as a separation from God which is actually not fire but absolute burning cold it's the absence of all energy.

Forgiveness in Christianity comes from a surrender to and acceptance of Christ.it isn't God forgiving so much as him seeing the perfection of Jesus in us when he looks upon us.

Jaden
edit on 7-2-2018 by Masterjaden because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Would suck to make it to the afterlife and discover it wasn't a myth after all by being there.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Sure it exists in varying degrees locking your keys in the trunk without any way to get them out with ease... thats a form of hell the idea of eternal hell well it is and it isnt those keys are not going to be in the trunk forever and neither will all the trouble taken to get them out last... but yet the recall of it being hell lasts as an imprint because of how locking the keys was taken... take it as a lesson to be more mindful of your actions and not something stressful and it is transformed in an instant as not hell... take it as the stressful of hell and well that spreads out then one is upset carries it and then lashes out on others from that frustration which adds to their stress and suffering and some hell for them and on and on... as that adds up and spreads over and over world wide? It compounds and over a vast amount of time all life exists in hell like conditions based on simple points of view one taken that did not have to be taken.

Thats how all hells and heavens are created. Volition... change is easy, it is undoing the habituation of expected reaction to things that occur. I am supposed to get angry and yell and kick the car bust the window and yank out the back seat to get them... really? Some may have stopped at the kicking and called a taxi to unlock the car then tore the backseat out cheaper than the window replacement etc etc. then some would just laugh and transform the entire situation into something silly. Choice it is best to remember that exists every instant as consciousness leaps moment to moment.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

Before Christ there is no hell. Then our "savior" arrives and all the sudden we have an eternal Hellfire. Makes no sense at all.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

How forgiving is it of your God to condemn you for eternity to Hellfire or even separation from God? That's not forgiving at all.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Before Christ there is no hell. Then our "savior" arrives and all the sudden we have an eternal Hellfire. Makes no sense at all.

Actually there were three different versions of "the afterlife"

the whole Hell/lake of fire thing was likely written into the narrative to push fear and conversion

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Of course there was a 'hell' before Christ.

Read your old Testament.

Christ came to SAVE us from everlasting hell.

It's so beautiful it's hard to even grasp in it's simplicity.

Love the Lord your God. Put no other before Him. Believe in faith Christ is the Son of God who came here to save us.

And - you have everlasting life.

Pretty simple.

I don't know why people want to bung it all up with complications.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Actually there were three different versions of "the afterlife"

the whole Hell/lake of fire thing was likely written into the narrative to push fear and conversion

Most definitely added to the narrative to instill fear.

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   

What do you think?

That is an interesting premise I have thought on from time to time.
What if Hell is false? What I find interesting is that it would not matter how you lived your life, it was going to be okay in the end, which would bring to an end the argument for morality, and the meaning of it, for our disagreements and agreements would would have no fortitude to fall back on.

But I digress. Christianity does indeed preach love and forgiveness, but it also preaches against the ways of the adversary. There is good and bad. I am sure we have all experienced them both, which is only provable to yourself. For myself, I have also experienced different standards of morality, by my own reasoning of what morality really is. It seems as if we each have our own set of standards we hold dear to ourselves. We each believe in those standards, and try to live what we deem is a good life, and I think that most of us would agree on the simple concepts of how we should treat each other.

So I believe there is a hell. We witness it daily around this world, just as we can also witness Heaven which is inside of us.

Peace
3DG

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   

The concept of Eternal hell wasn't introduced until the new Testament. The old testament doesn't mention hell.
What kind of Savior is Jesus if he brings Hellfire with him?

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   

a reply to: Masterjaden

How forgiving is it of your God to condemn you for eternity to Hellfire or even separation from God? That's not forgiving at all.

Have you ever been wronged? Stollen from. Raped. Abused. Lied to? And on and on?

Don't you WANT JUSTICE?

Ohhhh, ok - but do you want justice when it's applied to what you've done wrong against others?

Not so much?

God promises forgiveness and eternal life - AND - not only that but He's in heaven now - making a place for you! Just for you! Jesus is in heaven at this very moment making a PLACE for YOU - for eternity.

If you just believe in Him.

The greatest gift the world was ever given.

Justice for sin? Yes. You lie, cheat, steal, murder, rape, hate, etc?

There is an accountability for those actions and WE ALL HAVE DONE THEM!

But - the BEAUTY of Christ is - all we have to do is believe in Him. To love one another. To put others before ourselves - and ALL OUR SINS are paid for in full. Yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Beautiful in the simplicity.

Just. Believe.

And like they say? Wouldn't you rather believe and be RIGHT?

Than not believe and be wrong?

posted on Feb, 7 2018 @ 07:43 PM
link   

The concept of Eternal hell wasn't introduced until the new Testament. The old testament doesn't mention hell.
What kind of Savior is Jesus if he brings Hellfire with him?

it does actually... many times

But theres no descriptions of what happens or what it looks like...

Eternal torture and hellfire is strictly NT.... Judaism does not believe in such things

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join