It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

eagles riots and double standards.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Not sure what forum to place this in.

This conversation is about race and privilege. Specifically the double standard shown in our society when it comes to football riots.

On sunday the eagles won the super bowl. That night In philadelphia this happened. www.foxnews.com... Notice the head line "turns rowdy". Here is a video video.foxnews.com...=show-clips.

Why the soft language. Why not call a bunch of ass holes destroying peoples property the thugs and rioters that they are?

Why didn't the police deploy the type of tactics shown in this video?--www.youtube.com...
Notice that the people in that second video are peacefully walking around. What is the difference between these two situations?
Why was the football crowd allowed to destroy with little to no consequences but the protest crowd had sirens and lights and police officers on bullhorns shouting orders?

Is the difference in approach due to the color of their skin or due to the reason that they had gathered?
Is it right for the government to treat one group one way and another group another way in a free society?

edit on 6-2-2018 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

The difference likely lies in intent

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
Is the difference in approach due to the color of their skin or due to the reason that they had gathered?
Is it right for the government to treat one group one way and another group another way in a free society?

Is the government involved in this type of thing, or is it up to the authorities on the ground to take tactical decisions? I think the latter. Attempts to politicise bad behaviour just makes it all sound simple, when it's not.

To the gist. No it is not right to treat people differently, but it is right to adapt your approach to the situation on the ground.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Even some officers on the street were joining In. They weren't breaking stuff but were yelling and high fiving other fans. There's video I'll see if I can find one.

I think the difference is that this was a gathering of happiness and excitement. Not anger and resentment. Therefore the cops had a more relaxed stance and less to worry about (crowd turning against them). Plus, they didn't want to kill the buzz. They're Philly citizens too!

The people that tipped the car were arrested if I recall.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

What do you mean?

The perceived intent or the actual?
We can't know what the actual intent of the rioters in ether case would have been.

But , the police officers would assume the intent of the crowd sure.

Judging from those two videos in would seem like the cops assumed positive intent in the case of the fans and negative intent in the case of the protesters.

In both cases the officers don't really know. The question is why they would assume this in the first place.
I mean what makes a football riot less dangerous than a protest riot?

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Comments from someone who was there:

"The article completely blows out of proportion to what happened, what was really going on: hysterically HAPPY people, of all colors & stripes, celebrating the first-ever Superbowl win. Cops in Philadelphia are racially diverse, and it was most certainly NOT an all-white crowd. The team they're cheering for is racially diverse as well. Unless you live in Philadelphia, you can't know the full impact of what this win meant to all Eagles fans, after decades of disapointment and soul-crushing loss.

Big deal: 1 Canopy collapsed (at the Ritz), 1 naked pole climber arrested, 1 car flipped (Shouldn't have been left there in the first place), some green fireworks, two busted storefront windows at ground zero, and nearly 100k fans ALL OVER THE CITY having a party at nearly every major intersection, let alone the full length of Broad st., from the core South Philly neighborhoods all the way up to City Hall. The camaraderie and shared love of this team and it's hard-fought victory (over the Pats of all teams!) is what it was about. Sorry they missed that fundamental point of last night. (And the parade to come on Thursday.)

I challenge ANY city to throw a spontaneous party at 10 p.m. on a cold, rainy Sunday night in February with that many wild, insanely happy fans and do a better job with less damage and trouble."

I tend to agree with him. This was a spontaneous event that lasted one night. The social justice riots they are trying to compare it to were days, sometimes weeks on. A completely different magnitude. That said, I don't agree with destruction of private or public property in any of these cases.

Just another race-baiting article that continues the trend of dividing us.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Philthadelphia should be nuked from orbit.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

I mean what makes a football riot less dangerous than a protest riot?

Punches being thrown. A man can kill another with a single punch to the head.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

is it up to the authorities on the ground to take tactical decisions?

I understand that. When I said government I meant local. The police department is part of the local government. right?

To the gist. No it is not right to treat people differently, but it is right to adapt your approach to the situation on the ground.

Why do you think the cops didn't use the tactics that were effective in ferguson during last sundays riots?

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: seaswine

I think the difference is that this was a gathering of happiness and excitement. Not anger and resentment. Therefore the cops had a more relaxed stance and less to worry about (crowd turning against them). Plus, they didn't want to kill the buzz. They're Philly citizens too!

That makes since. Especially when we know in the ferguson example that the police department was estranged from the general public.

But that is still know excuse for allowing the destruction of property. Maybe we need to take a look at the football culture in this country a little closer if that's how those people choose to celebrate.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

The videos on youtube show that it was mostly white. I also said this was a conversation about privilege. Football fan privilege.

Big deal: 1 Canopy collapsed (at the Ritz), 1 naked pole climber arrested, 1 car flipped (Shouldn't have been left there in the first place), some green fireworks, two busted storefront windows at ground zero,

Big deal, just a bunch of people destroying stuff because of a game. No worries just let them be. And if that had been your car? Or your store front windows? I am going to come throw a rock through your bedroom window because I got my first raise ever! And it's ok because I'm happy. right? No big deal.
edit on 6-2-2018 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   
"Maybe we need to take a look at the football culture in this country a little closer if that's how those people choose to celebrate."

It's not just football. It's all sports. Depending on the city, some riots are worse than others. Just off the top of my head, I remember people were shooting guns in the air after Golden State won the title last year. They had a huge riot in Vancouver after they won the Stanley Cup. The list goes on.
edit on 6-2-2018 by jtrenthacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Because we the plebs are allowed a certain degree of rowdy celebrating of frivolous events such as the Super Bowl. It means the smoke and mirrors are working and that we are more emotionally invested in the victory of our chosen group of abnormally large men who are paid exorbitantly to bash one another's brains and bodies to jello than we are of ever increasing government corruption and erosion or our liberties.

On the flip side though, how dare we rise up in rebellion in any attempt to bite the hand that feeds us, the hand that has a firm grasp around our collective necks just waiting for the moment of the final squeeze. That my friends must be met with a swift and brutal rebuttal.
edit on 6-2-2018 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-2-2018 by RainbowPhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   
^ Yeah. The whole Bread & Circus' tribalist sports affair is state sanctioned from the hilt, and the celebratory rioting is the climax of this function of state.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   

This really just proves some people see identity politics in EVERYTHING. I know eagles fans and I'm not surprised at all with people getting drunk and rowdy.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker
This is what I was wanting to know.

It would seem that most people posting so far are agreed that it's the culture not the race that allows this type of thing to happen.

Why do some of us feel it is more appropriate to lash out and act a fool in moments of joy but not when the anger of being repressed becomes to much?

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: RainbowPhoenix

Wish I could add this to the op.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   
It's too bad none of the "celebrators," took a knee.

That's where the line appears to be drawn for some.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Not directed at you jtrenhacker but in general:

originally posted by: jtrenthacker
Comments from someone who was there:
"The article completely blows out of proportion to what happened, what was really going on: hysterically HAPPY people, of all colors & stripes, celebrating the first-ever Superbowl win. Cops in Philadelphia are racially diverse, and it was most certainly NOT an all-white crowd. The team they're cheering for is racially diverse as well. Unless you live in Philadelphia, you can't know the full impact of what this win meant to all Eagles fans, after decades of disapointment and soul-crushing loss.

I´m speechless how this person tries to justify that and others "can´t grasp the full impact".

Big deal: 1 Canopy collapsed (at the Ritz), 1 naked pole climber arrested, 1 car flipped (Shouldn't have been left there in the first place), some green fireworks, two busted storefront windows at ground zero, and nearly 100k fans ALL OVER THE CITY having a party at nearly every major intersection, let alone the full length of Broad st., from the core South Philly neighborhoods all the way up to City Hall. The camaraderie and shared love of this team and it's hard-fought victory (over the Pats of all teams!) is what it was about. Sorry they missed that fundamental point of last night. (And the parade to come on Thursday.)

Loveley how this person justifies the flipped car in the sense of "he should have known better". I bet it´s okay because all those store owners were insured anyways and are stinking rich.

I know a certain demographic (worldwide) that justifies their actions by this while upliving "camaraderie". Most of the times they hide underneath masks and black hoodies.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I agree simply because the reason nobody in my circle of friends could care less about it. Celebrating or protesting does give neither the right to riot, loot, and destroy someone's property.

This is unacceptable hehavior regardless of the reason and the news should be showing the criminals on tv. People should be prosecuted regardless of ethnicity.

Total double standard

As an

edit on 6-2-2018 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join