It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

eagles riots and double standards.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Yeah, didn't agree with the car flipping comment either. However, common sense would tell me not to leave my car parked on the street that night. A riot was coming win or lose.

I posted his comment because the gist of it was that the media was blowing it out of proportion (as they tend to do) and desperately finding a way to make it about race instead of a bunch of knuckle heads celebrating in the streets as happens in every sport and every city.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

That´s how his car insurance will argue, probably, making this behavior even more "accepted" on some kind of level.

And meanwhile(minus 7 years) in Germany, protestants eyes get poked out by water canons because they were not willing to move away (peacefully) fast enough during the Stuttgart21 protests.

Sick world.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Because riots are tolerated and downplayed if they are 'celebratory'.

Drunk fans tearing up the city isn't the same as peaceful anti establishment demonstrators.

Sort of hypocrisy we see how the Establishment bombs whole nations to dust but has spastic fits when the Homeland isn't totally disarmed, amused and tranquilized.
edit on 6-2-2018 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Is the difference in approach due to the color of their skin or due to the reason that they had gathered?

Well, one group was chanting "Fly Eagles Fly"...

The other group was chanting "F**ck The Police".

Seems pretty damn simple to me.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Maybe it comes down to the cops taking a guess at what actions will lead to the least amount of trouble?

Antagonising a hundred k mostly happy folks with over the top enforcement could lead to massive property damage and violence.

Leaving a really angry mob alone can also lead to an increased chance of damage and violence if they feel they are able to get away with something.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
If Philly had been in the 8th day of protests/riots like the video you reference in you OP, I am sure there would have been the same kind of police response.

The Ferguson protests were peaceful for the first night and day with very little police intervention. The second night some started breaking into stores and vandalizing the area and the situation very quickly deteriorated over the next few days until we find the protests on more than a week later in your video. It is very hard to relate Ferguson and the Philly 'riot' and their responses.

Look into many other protests. When antifa and other extreme left and right wing groups started protesting there was very little police. Flash forward a few weeks and police know they can not handle staying 'peaceful' with themselves or their opponents and far more police intervention started to be used.

Philly knew this was coming, they took certain precautions like attempting to grease poles so people would not fall off them from the tops and get hurt. But there was no opponent here, there was no reason to stay past the buzz wearing off, no cause propelling them to push further. And like others have stated, there were arrests, and the idiots responsible for the destructive parts will hopefully be held accountable. If it lasted longer then the night or turned worse I am sure there would have been more of a response.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Philthadelphia should be nuked from orbit.

Garbage city with garbage sports fans.

And people wonder why a) "this" happened and b) it wasn't treated like Ferguson.

Because it's a bunch of garbage, that's why. Has nothing to do with race. Period.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Never waste a good opportunity to disparage white people some more!

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

This is how I look at this topic. Football riots, though stupid, are done because people are happy. Drunk, high, mob mentality, but happy. Sure, fights may break out and people are being destructive, but the main intent is that they're happy and partying.

When people protest civil issues, they're doing so out of anger. There are people who are literally there to cause harm to someone they don't like. People are more aggressive, people are angry, people want to force change, so they riot.

I don't believe it's racial at all, but many will always claim so. People of all colors love football, and I'm sure there were many minorities partying there as well. So if it feels like there's a difference in how police react, there is, and I believe that's why. There's a big difference between people being stupid because they're happy/drunk, compared to people who are angry and want violence.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Garbage city with garbage sports fans.

Truly.

If I had the choice of moving to Philthy or moving to Cleveland I'd move to Raqua.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

What do you mean?

The perceived intent or the actual?
We can't know what the actual intent of the rioters in ether case would have been.

But , the police officers would assume the intent of the crowd sure.

Judging from those two videos in would seem like the cops assumed positive intent in the case of the fans and negative intent in the case of the protesters.

In both cases the officers don't really know. The question is why they would assume this in the first place.
I mean what makes a football riot less dangerous than a protest riot?

If you riot behind a protest, then your intent is tied to that protest.

If you riot behind a sporting win, then your intent is tied to that event.

Doesn't seem to convoluted to me.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Is it right for the government to treat one group one way and another group another way in a free society?

Obviously not and POC's everywhere should demand equal police abuse against people of prvilege.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Is it right for the government to treat one group one way and another group another way in a free society?

Obviously not and POC's everywhere should demand equal police abuse against people of prvilege.

Is POC the censored version of POS?

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: CalibratedZeus
Good points.
I see this a bit differently now.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Considering the size of Philly, police can't be everywhere. Street gangs, thugs and criminals will always take advantage of any situation where police are not present. It's really a sad perspective on humanity. We have a segment of society that doesn't respect the sanctity of life and other peoples property. It really comes down to parents instilling in their children at a young age the importance of respect, consideration, and the difference between right and wrong.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

No , if anything I would argue on the side of less police control in all situations.
Though I believe anyone that destroys property out of ether joy or anger is a fool.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

I agree in part but I think nature has a role to play in who we become as well.

Makes me want to start a thread discussing nature vs nurture .

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   

a reply to: jtrenthacker

The videos on youtube show that it was mostly white. I also said this was a conversation about privilege. Football fan privilege.

Really? Football fan privilege?

How is that any sort of privilege? One of the cheapest forms of entertainment around. Simply turn on broadcast TV.

Most likely not a single person that was rioting in Philly was actually at the game.

And yes, it's ridiculous that people riot over their team winning. I think that they should be treated the same as any other riot. The only argument for not doing that is it could spark more destruction when the police try to shut down their celebration.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: fritzM
And yes, it's ridiculous that people riot over their team winning. I think that they should be treated the same as any other riot.

I agree. I think they should have turned the riot hoses on them. Would have been the first time many of them had seen water on their bodies in ages.

posted on Feb, 6 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Philthadelphia should be nuked from orbit.

But, I live here. ಠ_ಠ
edit on 6-2-2018 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join