It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Museum removes 19th century painting in ridiculous gender protest

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
That’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.

The let's ban all the movies with nudity and violence, or when woman kill men or all the rape moves and all the crime books and tales and all the statues of nudity.

What’s the point?

The point is discussion and debate about how women are depicted in artwork/advertising etc. No painting has been banned, just removed to provoke conversation.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

originally posted by: Krakatoa

a reply to: Krakatoa

What do they depict to you?

They depict a physical manifestation of temptation in the mind of the tempted. In this case, it is the man in the painting. Could it be the man in the painting has pedophilia tendencies? I don't know....perhaps the artist did?

To me, the entire piece speaks to me as a warning against being tempted by that which you find as an obsession. That temptation leads to your downfall. IT does NOT glorify that temptation to me, just the opposite.

What do they represent to you?

And why?

That answer speaks more about your own internal thoughts and fears. Doesn't it?

I gave no answer from which you could deduce my internal thoughts. Assume much?

And yet, you still refuse to provide an answer.

Deflect much?

NOTE: For someone with the handle "InTheLight", you sure seem to want to live in the dark.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

At what age to you put those naked nymphs?

At what age do you put them? They are described as pubescent nymphs.

The artwork is called "Hylas and the Nymphs" and tells the Greek myth of the youth Hylas who fell in love with the water nymphs, and that was that for him.

Now, a nymph is a spirit, so who knows their age.

But the nymphs are in female human form, so their age can be reasoned.

What does a 1000 year old sprite water nymph look like? Do you know definitively, with evidence to back up your claim?

What are you talking about? The artist who painted this work is showing us what he thinks a water sprite looks like and I am asking what age do you think these nymphs are?

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 10:54 AM
link   

a reply to: Krakatoa

What do they depict to you?

They depict a physical manifestation of temptation in the mind of the tempted. In this case, it is the man in the painting. Could it be the man in the painting has pedophilia tendencies? I don't know....perhaps the artist did?

To me, the entire piece speaks to me as a warning against being tempted by that which you find as an obsession. That temptation leads to your downfall. IT does NOT glorify that temptation to me, just the opposite.

What do they represent to you?

And why?

That answer speaks more about your own internal thoughts and fears. Doesn't it?

I gave no answer from which you could deduce my internal thoughts. Assume much?

And yet, you still refuse to provide an answer.

Deflect much?

NOTE: For someone with the handle "InTheLight", you sure seem to want to live in the dark.

You call it deflection, I call it asking a question and still waiting for an answer (you are keeping me in the dark).
edit on 02CST10America/Chicago055101028 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 10:57 AM
link   

The artwork is called "Hylas and the Nymphs" and tells the Greek myth of the youth Hylas who fell in love with the water nymphs, and that was that for him.

What does a 1000 year old sprite water nymph look like? Do you know definitively, with evidence to back up your claim?

What are you talking about? The artist who painted this work is showing us what he thinks a water sprite looks like and I am asking what age do you think these nymphs are?

And I am saying I don't know, do you? They could be 1000 years old for all I know.

I have answered your questions, how about the courtesy of answering my questions?

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 10:58 AM
link   

And I am saying I don't know, do you? They could be 1000 years old for all I know.

I have answered your questions, how about the courtesy of answering my questions?

You didn't answer my question, at what age do these nymphs look like to you?

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   

The let's ban all the movies with nudity and violence, or when woman kill men or all the rape moves and all the crime books and tales and all the statues of nudity.

What’s the point?

The point is discussion and debate about how women are depicted in artwork/advertising etc. No painting has been banned, just removed to provoke conversation.

Woman depicted in media?

We'd have to have a conversation the volume of the encyclopedia Britannica.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Yes, I did. Please stop repeating yourself. and accept my answer. Anything less is deflection and ends this conversation. You wanted dialogue, yet you only want to be the one asking and answering. That is not a dialogue that is a monologue.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   

What’s the point?

Woman depicted in media?

We'd have to have a conversation the volume of the encyclopedia Britannica.

Exactly, and it seems nobody here wants to start a conversation about it. What a sad situation.
edit on 02CST11America/Chicago004111128 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Yes, I did. Please stop repeating yourself. and accept my answer. Anything less is deflection and ends this conversation. You wanted dialogue, yet you only want to be the one asking and answering. That is not a dialogue that is a monologue.

No you did not, give me a number and stop this avoidance game.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Are you blind? I said they could be 1000 years old.

What is wrong with you? Blind and living in the dark?

How about you answer my questions? Unless that thought makes you uncomfortable because it reveals your inner pedophilia tendencies?

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   
It’s no need to bicker over this.

Fine, let’s have a conversation.

I personally HATE seeing woman in violent sports like boxing and MM arts.

Is that a bad thing?

Its my preference, I just don’t watch those events.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

How about you answer my questions? Unless that thought makes you uncomfortable because it reveals your inner pedophilia tendencies?

ETA: Note to all readers. Seems InTheLight has logged off after seeing my response above, and is refusing the have a real dialogue on the issue. Could it be fear of their internal thoughts?

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Is that a bad thing?

What about them in the body-building sport? Pumping up to look like men?

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 11:18 AM
link   

ETA: Note to all readers. Seems InTheLight has logged off after seeing my response above, and is refusing the have a real dialogue on the issue. Could it be fear of their internal thoughts?

I never logged off, but I have to now because I got a busy day ahead of me.

Another question for you. If you didn't know that the painting was depicting nymphs, what would you think it was depicting?
edit on 02CST11America/Chicago019111128 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Is that a bad thing?

It seems some people need to put up defenses and play games instead of trying to intelligently debate serious social issues.

What do you think about their right to choose whatever sport they want regardless of what you or others think or feel about it?

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 11:22 AM
link   

I never logged off, but I have to now because I got a busy day ahead of me.

Another question for you. If you didn't know that the painting was depicting nymphs, what would you think it was depicting?

I'l answer you after you answer me first. And stop moving the goal posts in a lame attempt to deflect from answering.

Good day.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Is that a bad thing?

It seems some people need to put up defenses and play games instead of trying to intelligently debate serious social issues.

What do you think about their right to choose whatever sport they want regardless of what you or others think or feel about it?

And what do you think about an artists right to depict what they want regardless of what you or others think or feel about it? (this is the other side of the same coin).

I do not expect you to answer to be honest. I expect you to deflect and try moving the goal posts again.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Point of order.

The Gallery hasn't removed the painting. It has temporarily taken the painting down to stimulate discussion.

Reactions have fallen broadly into two camps. Many people have discussed the nuances of the act, and explored their reactions to erotic art in general. These discussions have been broad and varied and valuable.

On the other hand, many people fell into easy, hackneyed and unimaginative positions for and against. These discussions, mainly by people who considered neither the action or the painting but instead reacted to a sensationalist and mendacious retelling by dishonest media, were clumsy and predictable. Nevertheless, they too validated what the gallery was trying to do.

Carry on.

posted on Feb, 2 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
There is a danger that people are over-analysing this. This beautiful painting is explained below.

Artble explanation of Hylas and the Nymphs

People are erroneously saying this beautiful painting has been banned. It has not. It has been removed to spur debate.

My input into this debate is this... Art is art. It's the context that counts. While women can be portrayed as semi-naked and all that, the same is true for men - it's not a one-way street. This picture does not portray defenceless women, because they are bringing a man down using their feminine ways. It's not exploitative, either in the context of the time, the story told, or the context of the present.

If nakedness offends then people need to live in a box. People often find offence because they want to be offended. Ill thought-out objection to art, is just that. Ill-thought.
edit on 2/2/2018 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join