It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump's border wall prototypes virtually impassable, pass rigorous testing

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
Unsurprisingly many seem to be commenting before reading the article or even bothering to educate themselves on the topic.

Ignorance is bliss...

It's a wall. No matter what you do to it, it's still just a wall.

If people really cared about stopping illegal immigration they'd be petitioning their government to crack down on all the businesses that hire illegals and give them a reason to risk life and limb to get here. Not rallying behind a dumb idea Donald Trump made up at random on the campaign trail.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

Checkmate.

I find it fascinating that people who proclaim they don't want to support illegal immigrants spend 150% effort complaining and moaning about the symptom and can't give two #s about the elephant in the room.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: face23785

I still don't like the wall as a deterrent.
I would much rather see immigration reform to allow these people a better path to become Americans.
Just seems like a lot of money better used elsewhere.

I would bet half the people crossing the border illegally would not be allowed immigration. I have no problem with letting some immigrants in, but not ones who are just troublemakers. If we can control them coming in, we have a better chance of weeding out the ones coming here to distribute drugs for the cartel and also that come here to rip off people. Why do we have to allow criminals to come here?

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Now they could use a drone to place a rope or ladder. Pull themselves up. Or dig a tunnel, which they have.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Ok. So you get a wall. What's to stop them from going around the wall?

What's to stop people from overstaying their visas after they come here legally?

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall

Now they could use a drone to place a rope or ladder. Pull themselves up. Or dig a tunnel, which they have.

Shush you, the designers of the wall who want to make billions out of it from american taxpayers have declared it 'unclimbable', so just you believe what the contractors say, darn it! Less of your questioning, more bland acceptance of ridiculous claims!

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

The wall is the most expensive and ineffective solution possible on a simple problem.

You want to stop illegal immigration just make it not worthwhile for American companies and industries to hire them.

Make it a $50K fine per illegal hired in a company with a 3 strike you are out policy. Then enforce the denial of any American benefits to illegals.

Once American companies are not paying illegals to come they wont come. That leaves plenty of the existing resources to cover the Few that are only coming here to cause problems and easier to spot.

The fact is 3 of the largest lobbying industries (Agriculture,Hospitality,Construction) are also the biggest benefactors and offenders of immigration.

Coincidently enough Trump is associated with 2 of them (Hospitality,Construction).

Lastly careful what you wish for, you just might get it. Immigration is tightly ingrained to our economy and could cause a collapse killing it overnight.

This is not as true as you would like to believe. Sure some won't come because of jobs but no matter what life here is typically a lot better than wherever they came from.

Even panhandlers have a better way of life in the US than working folk in 3rd world countries.

So there will always be incentive to come here.

Plus have you ever seen how most illegal families live? Here in AZ you will see 15 people living in a 3 bedroom house and only 2 of them are US citizens. The rest will go to homeless shelters for food or hang on the corner and wait for some day labor.

No matter what incentives you cut off the land of opportunity will always have a great appeal

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
a reply to: interupt42

Oh no, your thinking logically and looking at the deeper issue... that kind of nonsense won't go down well in a pro-Trump thread.

Trump obviously has no intention to attack illegal immigration at the root of the cause, which is the US's addiction to cheap labour.

Sorry to give a dose of reality, but it just wouldn't be possible to have illegal immigration on the scale that the US has in most other countries... their systems just simply wouldn't accomodate it.

Trumps wall is nothing more than a 25 billion dollar power trip... so he can claim he followed though on his compaign promises... which would be a lie within itself, since if anyone cares to remember, he promised he would build it and the American people wouldn't pay for it.

Ummm...yes...we know...it couldn't possibly be a 25 billion infrastructure employment opportunity...nosiree...We all know that once that money is allocated...it simply disappears...poof...gone from the memory of men...

It's so obvious that not one thin dime will ever flow into the pockets of real working men and women...nor will any of that help to fill the cash registers of restauranteur's...hoteliers...or other local and or non local business...

What a horrid waste...why even bother to quantify the savings in terms of real dollars...not...used on social welfare programs...court costs...ICE costs...etc. ad nauseam...for illegal aliens that are thwarted by a barrier to their free movement into the land of milk and honey...

Just pretend I never mentioned those points...it makes for a more palatable swallow...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I don't think we should just have an open door either. There should be many limits.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   
A new wall better reduce the number of illegal immigrants. Why else build one?
It's obvious that no wall is going to stop them from trying, so how bout these options that don't involve building a new one but upgrading existing infrastructure :

-High voltage on fence that can detect location of earth leak
-Very sensitive pressure sensors in the ground to combat tunneling
-Autonomous drones patrolling the border with IR vision

All these solutions seem very doable both in implementation and costs. Another benefit would be that it reduces the amount of manpower needed at the border. The electronic surveillance will alert the people, all they have to do is respond to an active threat

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I still think this wall is useless without a moat. I mean we could build a lot of this wall along the Rio Grande but some of it will definitely need a moat . with alligators. And maybe some piranhas. Electric eels? Maybe too much we'll see

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: PraetorianAZ

Plus have you ever seen how most illegal families live? Here in AZ you will see 15 people living in a 3 bedroom house and only 2 of them are US citizens. The rest will go to homeless shelters for food or hang on the corner and wait for some day labor. No matter what incentives you cut off the land of opportunity will always have a great appeal

Thats why I also said

Make it a $50K fine per illegal hired in a company with a 3 strike you are out policy. Then enforce the denial of any American benefits to illegals.

So there will always be incentive to come here.

Absolutely. However , cutting the majority of illegals that come here for benefits and work will certainly make the problem more manageable.

The wall wont make it any more manageable, because you are not going after the real problem nor the incentive that brings them.
You will be infinitely climbing an uphill battle of cat and mouse.

In addition , the wall can be circumvented by air,water,tunnels, and good old American bribery.

edit on 54131America/ChicagoTue, 30 Jan 2018 13:54:23 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

I'm good with land mines but I don't think the animal rights people will go for it.
To many coyotes wandering around.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

We also need to mount 30mm cannons on the top.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I would much rather see immigration reform to allow these people a better path to become Americans.

How about the f-35, do you believe in that jet as a deterrent?

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

You want to stop illegal immigration just make it not worthwhile for American companies and industries to hire them.

It's strange that while the debate goes on, so does the hiring of illegals. And it's by people on both sides of the political party line. The whole thing is basically a distraction at this point.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Sounds like a good merit system, in itself. If you can get over that wall, avoid the border patrol, get a job that pays decently and live a good life....you can stay. Obviously, a creative,solution-minded individual....

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

How about the f-35, do you believe in that jet as a deterrent?

Drones would be more cost effective but again, the human rights people would probably frown on that technique.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: watchitburn
Unsurprisingly many seem to be commenting before reading the article or even bothering to educate themselves on the topic.

Ignorance is bliss...

It's a wall. No matter what you do to it, it's still just a wall.

If people really cared about stopping illegal immigration they'd be petitioning their government to crack down on all the businesses that hire illegals and give them a reason to risk life and limb to get here. Not rallying behind a dumb idea Donald Trump made up at random on the campaign trail.

It's not really an "either or" scenario. We absolutely should cut benefits and enforce penalties for businesses. Maybe that's why they lobby so much. We should also make it inconvenient to enter illegally. Yes, people will still come in by sea or air, but that's a lot more involved generally. I don't think you'd see the same numbers with a wall as without. A wall is hardly a cure all.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

It's strange that while the debate goes on, so does the hiring of illegals. And it's by people on both sides of the political party line. The whole thing is basically a distraction at this point.

Absolutely. Neither the GOP or the DNC candidates want a REAL solution. They don't even discuss in detail the obvious elephant in the room about American companies benefiting and giving illegals incentive to come here. Nor do they discuss the obvious that illegals are ingrained into our economy and the disastrous impact of getting rid of them overnight.

So what do good clever politicians do? Well they never let a good crisis go to waste and that is what this wall is . The wall will make some serious dough for some key people from the tax payers dime without fixing the issue.

The biggest offender of illegals are BIGLY lobbyist (Agriculture,Hospitality,Construction) who don't care about political ideals and have the money to get what they want.
edit on 04131America/ChicagoTue, 30 Jan 2018 14:04:45 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join