It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump's border wall prototypes virtually impassable, pass rigorous testing

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I support a wall both physical and metaphorically. However, I also support a reformed immigration system where legal immigration is more efficient.

I agree with those who say the best way is to make it painful financially for companies to hire illegals. Basically, things would have to be set up so that no illegal could function in society. Jobs, welfare services, schools, etc. You make it impossible to live, they will self-deport or won't come.

Of course, there will always be people who get through. This doesn't mean you don't try. Also, libs would have to accept that these people can't suck at the government teet. All this DACA, anchor baby, sanctuary cities, and other policies would have to be abandoned.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42
a reply to: jjkenobi

Making it illegal to hire them won't stop the flow of human traffickers, guns, and drugs across the border.

You think that a wall is going to prevent or impact those illegal activities in any significant way. Are you the type that believes taking away guns will prevent criminals from getting them?

We are surrounded by water, air, tunnels, and not to mention good old American bribery.

read again what I said.

Once American companies are not paying illegals to come they wont come. That leaves plenty of the existing resources to cover the Few that are only coming here to cause problems and easier to spot.

What I said was if you take care of the illegal immigrants that are coming here for jobs you will have the resources to go after the human traffickers, guns, and drugs across the border. Then the problem becomes more manageable to go after the trouble makers.

The wall wont make it any more manageable, since we are surrounded by water, air, tunnels, and bribery.

They already provided facts stating that border arrests were down 95% in an area that was fenced/double fenced in.

Wall off the entire thing.

Saying it doesn't work because people will just take a different route is circular logic.

Don't bother locking your front door, criminals will just use the window. Don't bother locking your windows, burglars will just tunnel in. Don't cement in your foundation, they'll just break through the roof.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: rickymouse

I don't think we should just have an open door either. There should be many limits.

Right now, it is sort of an open door. That wall does not have to be continuous, it just needs to steer people to cross at checkpoints. We check passports on everyone who comes over from Europe on a Jet, we should be checking the people who come across from Mexico too. If I wanted to go to Mexico, I did many years ago, I had to show an ID even though I went to a town right on the boarder where tourists go. That was off of Arizona somewhere, I went there with my uncle. If I wanted to go past the area I was at, I would have needed a passport or I could have gotten arrested by the Mexican police. I did go past and bought some really good donuts at a bakery and I had to go exchange my dollars at the bank. Nobody really spoke english in that area, but I got donuts. I bought a leather hat in a shop there too, they were way cheaper than in the tourist area. I gave the two guys a couple extra bucks for a tip and told them to go have a drink. They shut down the shop and were heading to the bar, I guess two bucks was a good tip. I bought the hat for thirteen bucks, I got them down from twenty five bucks they originally asked for. The hat was marked at an equivalent of thirteen bucks on the label in their money, I just came from the bank and was looking at the exchange rate. I don't blame them for trying.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
So they tested the wall for those going over it, however that wall is not high enough.

Here is the problem, planes fly over the walls, and an estimated 40% of those who are illegal immigrant, did not cross via land, but simply flew in and never went home.

Nor did they test or go into the other ways that illegal immigrants have used to get into the country. Ways like underground, where they burrow through the ground on one side and then up into a building on the other side.

Then there is the way via the water ways, but that was hamstrung when they cut the budget for the coast guard.

All the while they still fail to address the one main way to stop such, and that is the Boarder Patrol, which still have their hands tied and are not really able to actively engage as they should be able to.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: face23785

I still don't like the wall as a deterrent.
I would much rather see immigration reform to allow these people a better path to become Americans.
Just seems like a lot of money better used elsewhere.

Building that wall will create a lot of jobs, which will put the money back into circulation. That should not be a problem at all.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
That stupid wall will be tied up in the courts by land owners that don't want no stinking wall

A chain link fence is the best they will be able to do.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
A wall won't be fair for California! Where will they get all their illegals from? This is not fair or funny.

Ok I'm teaing. It is funny

link   
a reply to: 3daysgone

Building that wall will create a lot of jobs, which will put the money back into circulation. That should not be a problem at all.

Mexican money right? Peso's They're going to pay for it remember.

link   
a reply to: sdcigarpig

Here is the problem, planes fly over the walls, and an estimated 40% of those who are illegal immigrant, did not cross via land, but simply flew in and never went home.

I don't look at a 60% reduction of incoming illegals as a problem.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

The wall will make some serious dough for some key people from the tax payers dime without fixing the issue.

Yes, that the SOP of today. At last the making the dough part.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
So they tested the wall for those going over it, however that wall is not high enough.

Nor did they test or go into the other ways that illegal immigrants have used to get into the country. Ways like underground, where they burrow through the ground on one side and then up into a building on the other side.

Then there is the way via the water ways, but that was hamstrung when they cut the budget for the coast guard.

All the while they still fail to address the one main way to stop such, and that is the Boarder Patrol, which still have their hands tied and are not really able to actively engage as they should be able to.

Ummm...I know...a much better policy...is to not have any deterrent...allow all the border towns...this side...of the border...and the rest of the country...to deteriorate into third world slums so that anytown USA looks just like where these good souls hail from...I'm sure that once they see there is no yellow brick road...they'll all just make like a 180 and return home...

Why do anything at all...matter of fact...we should just annul and rescind any and all laws...Of course...that would put you on the unemployment line...but WTH...you could join your non-English speaking peers and high five the brave new world...Rock on dude...

I mean...why have any deterrence to cartels and human traffickers...let them all in...we've got the room...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: jjkenobi

They already provided facts stating that border arrests were down 95% in an area that was fenced/double fenced in.

LOL, Yeah ofcourse because they went around it .

Is this wall going to encircle all of American ground,air, water, and replace humans with robots to be above bribery?

Saying it doesn't work because people will just take a different route is circular logic.

No its common sense and how reality works when there are incentives to be had and money to be made.

Don't bother locking your front door, criminals will just use the window. Don't bother locking your windows, burglars will just tunnel in. Don't cement in your foundation, they'll just break through the roof.

1. Your house is not the size of a country with endless borders so the same home security tactics wouldn't effectively scale.

2. You are not sitting inside your home promising and advertising thieves free tv once they get in.

3. locking my front door and windows or adding a fence does absolutely nothing to prevent real criminals (human smugglers ) from coming in. Eitherwise home invasions , robberies wouldn't be a problem. Locking doors and windows will only keep the petty opportunistic thief out.

So I fail to see your point about creating a wall to keep the REAL (human traffickers ,etc) criminals out as an effective tool?

edit on 00131America/ChicagoTue, 30 Jan 2018 15:00:57 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Mexican money right? Peso's They're going to pay for it remember.

Of coarse they will. Tariffs can be an awesome thing.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Tariffs are paid by the importer, not the exporter.

If the wall is being paid for via tariffs on goods produced in Mexico, and sold in the US, then it is consumers in the US that will be paying for the wall.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

You are correct. Which will make Mexico lower their cost on goods thereby paying for the wall.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: watchitburn
Unsurprisingly many seem to be commenting before reading the article or even bothering to educate themselves on the topic.

Ignorance is bliss...

It's a wall. No matter what you do to it, it's still just a wall.

If people really cared about stopping illegal immigration they'd be petitioning their government to crack down on all the businesses that hire illegals and give them a reason to risk life and limb to get here. Not rallying behind a dumb idea Donald Trump made up at random on the campaign trail.

It's not really an "either or" scenario. We absolutely should cut benefits and enforce penalties for businesses. Maybe that's why they lobby so much. We should also make it inconvenient to enter illegally. Yes, people will still come in by sea or air, but that's a lot more involved generally. I don't think you'd see the same numbers with a wall as without. A wall is hardly a cure all.

My problem with the wall, is just that it's a stupid idea conceived in whatever brain fog Trump was experiencing at the moment while trying to rile up his base on the campaign trail. There's already walls on the border, we know how they work. It's a wall. The arguments for it stopping drug smuggling are the dumbest, because while it may have some negligible effect on people coming over, it'll be business as usual in the drug trade. And lets not forget, the cartels are also the ones selling passage to the U.S. down in Mexico.

What use is a wall when you can pay people to look the other way? Cartels run these areas, and these are people who use a $1 million drug shipment as a decoy to make sure the $3 million shipment two cars behind gets in. Money isn't anything to them, and everyone on the U.S. side of the border has a price.

Can't pay off a certain border agent? Pay off his friends. Can't pay off his friends? Pay off his boss. Can't pay off his boss? Pay a senator.

The amounts of money made from the illegal drug trade make any type of wall a joke. Unless the real issues with corruption are addressed, the wall is just a massive taxpayer funded money pit.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 03:29 PM
link   
A wall funnels over border activity from "easy" to other areas. So, yes, you can still fly over a wall, but most Guatemalans seeking to come here illegally do not have easy access to aircraft. Same applies to tunnels. It's a hell of a lot more work to cross a desert, dig a tunnel and then cross more desert than is to cross a line on the map.
And it's easier to cross that line on a map than to hand millions of dollars in bribes over to border security. It's not like they wouldn't prefer to just hand teenagers a back pack and a few hundred dollars than have to establish a system of grease money to get their product into the states.
Deterrent doesn't have to mean "stops". It just means it makes it more difficult or less likely. Do you lock your car doors? Thieves can still get in your car. Why bother to lock it? Why are we wasting millions on car door lock fixtures and devices? If someone really wants your car or the contents, they'll find a way past the locked door.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I have to agree with that corruption is rampit .
No way stops that .
Every one keeps talking about enforcing the immigration laws well a good start is enforcing the highering laws .
Walls will stop some people but if the Government thought for one mint it will stop 95% of them they will never build it .

want to see how some illegals get here google Neat boats illegal Cubans built

edit on 30-1-2018 by midnightstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 03:32 PM
link   
It will make Mexico do nothing.

The bulk of the trade between Mexico and the US is from US owned enterprises in Mexico to US owned enterprises in the US.

Applying a tariff to a supply chain that is owned almost entirely by the country applying the tariff is...too be polite...retarded.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

Weird, because if people want higher wages, removing a source of millions of unskilled workers is a good fit. As is increasing local manufacturing (which is the object of tariffs)...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join