It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump's border wall prototypes virtually impassable, pass rigorous testing

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 03:49 PM
link   
the money that will be saved by keeping most of the illegals out will offset the cost of a wall with a lot left over, we`ll actually gaining money by building a wall.

old men, anchor babies and women won`t be able to climb over a wall.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 03:59 PM
link   
a reply to: bluechevytree

Last figures I could find from Pew say 6.9% of students K-12 are here illegally or the children of people here illegally. Let's say there are a million applicable extra children in California alone (feel free to find me a better figure, but it's nice and round). At 12k a head, that's $1.2B in one state alone. Counting only resources in ONE state on just education costs. Doesn't count Title I funding of which that demo will receive a disproportionate share. Doesn't count strain on health services or other government benefits received for food, housing, etc.

Seems to me like a wall could pay for itself quickly.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
the only way to truely end illegal immigration is to start chipping people like animals. You can track anybody and they cant take the chip out without triggering an alarm and notifying the authorities.

Use the chip. But if they have to be chipped. You know the American citizen is next.
edit on 30-1-2018 by WarPig1939 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: face23785

I still don't like the wall as a deterrent.
I would much rather see immigration reform to allow these people a better path to become Americans.
Just seems like a lot of money better used elsewhere.

Here's a question for you... There are over 1.2 billion people in the continent of Africa, the majority of whom live in extreme poverty. The US has approximately 327 million people. If your desire is to help everyone who wants to come here, would you be ok with the US suddenly taking in the worst-off half of the African population that is routinely dying of starvation and preventable disease? Would you be ok with tripling the population of the United States, with people who have no education or skills and aren't employable?
I'm willing to bet your answer will be something alone the lines of "well, no, we would have to stagger the immigration so as to not completely overwhelm the systems in place".

Think about that for a second.

The US already accepts about 1 million legal immigrants every year, more than any other nation on Earth... 1 million per year. How many more do you think we can take every year without causing undue strain on the systems put in place to help them? Another million? Ten million? 600 million? Sooner or later you reach a point where you have to say "Ok, we're already doing what we can here, we need to have some limits in place"... Like every other country in the world that accepts immigrants.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I guess nobody noticed this in the article:

Out of dozens and attempts, one guy made it to the top but he couldn’t get down.

So a 31 foot ladder would have allowed him to pass the impassable?

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

It will make Mexico do nothing.

Your opinion.

The bulk of the trade between Mexico and the US is from US owned enterprises in Mexico to US owned enterprises in the US.

Doesn't matter who owns the enterprises. If they build in Mexico they pay Mexico.

Applying a tariff to a supply chain that is owned almost entirely by the country applying the tariff is...too be polite...retarded.

Not if it affects the money that will not go to Mexico. Trump is a genius , have you not figured it out by now? If he doesn't do it with tariffs, then he will find another way.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

Tunnels are not dug by the immigrants, they are dug by smugglers who then move a lot of people and drugs through them.

edit on 30-1-2018 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

I think you misunderstand what I am saying.
I Want stop illegal immigration and slow legal immigration.

But that doesn't change my opinion that the wall is a stupid idea that will not be anything but a waste of money and mostly ineffective.

Other countries need to fend for themselves.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Maybe some humor...

I am caught between cost and how much it will actually affect the issue.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   
It's pretty incredible to see the number of those on the right that won't come out and admit that the main problem is that big business hires all the illegal immigrants under the table and that is the source of the problem. Anyone can get into the country if they want to, wall or not. Cracking down harshly on businesses will be the biggest deterrent to immigration possible.

Why are you all so afraid to address this? Afraid your kids won't go out and pick strawberries for pennies on the dollar?

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Yep walls don't work and neither does border security.

Just look at N/S Korea.

People still get through.

Is it really fair to ruin someone's Biz that hires an illegal?

The govt has to do everything they can to reduce the chances that someone won't hire one by accident with phony papers.

E-verify?

Then there are all the Blue cities protecting illegals.

Need Kate's Law for a deterrent or at least making it not worth getting caught sneaking in again.

I'm ok with the Wall, stopping the anchor baby thing and strong immigration enforcement.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   

If it is an on going situation.

What about other criminal acts by a business, overlook those also?

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: daskakik

I'm aware, but that takes quantities of time, effort, and money that they could be using for other things.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian
It's pretty incredible to see the number of those on the right that won't come out and admit that the main problem is that big business hires all the illegal immigrants under the table and that is the source of the problem. Anyone can get into the country if they want to, wall or not. Cracking down harshly on businesses will be the biggest deterrent to immigration possible.

Why are you all so afraid to address this? Afraid your kids won't go out and pick strawberries for pennies on the dollar?

Lets quote that again.

Still nothing.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: burgerbuddy

And there you have it. The corporatocracy runs the gov't. And it's also backed by the people.
Absolutely gross.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Tunnels have been used so obviously they are worthwhile. The wall would actually be good for their business.

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: burgerbuddy

Oh, so breaking the law by hiring an illegal should be overlooked?

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: okrian

Speaking only for myself, I'd love to address this, and hope we do.

Being for a wall doesn't stop me from wanting to do other things as well. I'm even for a path to residency for dreamers. And expanded work visas for (legal) migrant workers to get them paying taxes and on the books. Like I said above, it isn't "either or".

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Tunnels have been used so obviously they are worthwhile. The wall would actually be good for their business.

Great. It's a lot easier to stop and find an enterprise that needs infrastructure than a coyote who takes $20 a head to take people over the border through the desert basins.

It's also akin to saying broken windows have been observed, so car door locks are good for thieves businesses.

edit on 30-1-2018 by RadioRobert because: Quoted wrong post

edit on 30-1-2018 by RadioRobert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   

That really has nothing to do with the fact that they are used and the subject of the thread, a wall, isn't going to stop them.

ETA:

It's also akin to saying broken windows have been observed, so car door locks are good for thieves businesses.

Not really.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join