It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The normalization of deviance

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Ummm...you know...your absolutely right...this applies to every discipline across the board...

I drive a 200 plus MPH crotch rocket...I drive it pretty hard...I've noticed that I've become complacent in my PMCS prior to a cruise...Now when I was in service we lived and breathed PMCS...

This is a great thread with some much needed reminders that complacency kills...thank you for bringing this to the board...

Additionally I just wanted to state that this forum is one of my favorite forums on ATS I read everything all of the contributors post...I may not participate much here...usually due to the fact the conversations involve subject matters that are above my knowledge base...

Thanks man...

YouSir

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

hmm - maybe this is my " normalisation of deviance "

do i do a walk around of my car ? :

if i is going to tesco [ 650m ] - cos i has no wine and its cold dark and raining and the lamp battery for my bike llkight is not charged - NO

if i is off on a 1500km trip to europe - YES

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: cosmania
a reply to: intrptr

about 2% of the time.

I know, huh.

About 2% of the time it quits, too. The good thing is it doesn't fall out of the friggin sky when it does, it just pulls over to the side of the road.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

if i is off on a 1500km trip to europe - YES

It doesn't fail on the long haul though, it craps when you 'go around' the block.

We just had the car into service, it died in a parking lot 5 days later, the battery failed.

Should have walked around the battery too.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Not only with aircraft, show of hands, how many people actually do a 'walk around' their car before driving it?

I'm actually pretty good with my car as it's my only way if making money. I check the pressures every week and fluid levels and get the oil changed every 6 months without fail. Also I'm like that with my computer I take it apart every two weeks and clean but I've spent a hell of a lot of money on it.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Even just regular pilots. The Gulfstream crash that was mentioned could have been prevented with a simple flight control check on the taxiway. Simply moving the control column around would have told them something wasn't right....

GA, especially recreational pilots, are quite prone to this. Numerous light aircraft (by light aircraft, I mean single-engine, fixed gear and prop, not strictly LSA, though I'm sure they're in the mix) crashes on takeoff have happened because the pilot tried to takeoff with the control lock still in place. As you inferred, it's a really stupid mistake.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
yup....happened to me.....I put the milk container in the same spot in the refrigerator for years now, my wife can't drink milk, so it's ALWAYS in the same spot...one day she moved it over and in that space put a carton of lemonade.....I reached in one day, picked it up and poured lemonade all over my oatmeal...and I was looking right at it as I poured....

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Great read Zaph, thanks for sharing it here. Definitely applies to nearly every facet of human life, but God damn that pilot pushed it wayyyy too close with that bunt.

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Creatures of habit we are, Sir!

I bet that was an interesting way to start your day LOL!

posted on Jan, 25 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: parad0x122

I'm fairly sure they had to get a pry bar to get the seats removed from their anal orifices after landing.
edit on 1/25/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   

And rightfully so! I mean come on man....2-300 ft AGL?

That's bonkers.:

posted on Jan, 29 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
This is a great book on a similar subject

Deep survival

An interesting look at the way humans evaluate risk

top topics

<< 1   >>

join