It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 killed in Kentucky high school shooting, governor says

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Friend lives across the street from the school, his kids got out ok.
His kids are trained to count shots, they counted six.
Story is breaking, he says choppers in the air and ambulances on the scene.
www.cnn.com...

Marshall County High School is in Benton, Kentucky. All officers at the Benton Police Department office inside City Hall left to go to the scene, Benton City Clerk Beth Cooper told CNN.

Update

Seven people were taken to hospitals, some by helicopter, said Darlene Lynn of Marshall County Emergency Management.
The shooter is in custody, she said.

edit on 23-1-2018 by EvidenceNibbler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: EvidenceNibbler

Horrible, just absolutely horrible.

Unfortunately this is the new American norm....

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   

We know of at least one family that lost their child and will never speak to them again.
Heartbreaking... I'm thankful they subdued the perpetrator and location is secure at least.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Is that near Louisville Ky? If so it is near a hub of Demonic activity in league with Genova and Vancouver.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

Horrible, just absolutely horrible.

Unfortunately this is the new American norm....

where have you been the past 3 - 4 decades...

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: MikeOnAMission

Lol, nice. If Louisville is a hub of Demonic activity then I shudder to think of where you live friendo.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Dodging bullets apparently....

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: MikeOnAMission
Is that near Louisville Ky? If so it is near a hub of Demonic activity in league with Genova and Vancouver.

Not close to Louisville. This took place in western KY, northern part of Kentucky Lake. This is not too far from where I live. Terrible that this has become so common. Thoughts and prayers are with all those involved.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Guns might not kill people, but school kids and other people sure do.

The problems self-evident really.

R.I.P and a speedy recovery to the wounded.

edit on 23-1-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

No, it's not, unless you consider 1 shooting today in the more than 140,000 schools in America being "the new American norm."

Hell, even if there were 20 school shootings per day in America (which there isn't), you're looking at a total of 7,300/year, which is 5% of the total schools in America. Saying that this is a "norm" is silly and asinine.

In all of 2017, according to this list, there were 9 shootings. In a really bad year...I'm going with 2014...there were 36. In that really bad year, that equates to shootings happening in 0.03% of schools in America.

That's hardly a norm when you consider that 99.97% of schools in America lacked a school shooting.

Let's not play the hyperbole game just to try and gain stars and to push a narrative. At least one child's parents are grieving the loss of their child, while others are concerned about the well-being of theirs. Don't politicize this with ignorant comments.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   

MARSHALL COUNTY, Ky. (LEX 18) - We now have a timeline of the events that happened at Marshall County High School.

A lot of details have not yet been released, but we do know now that a 15-year-old student shot and killed two classmates, a boy and a girl.

According to Kentucky State Police, the shooting happened at 7:57 a.m.

The first 911 call was received two minutes later. Troopers say if you have information about the shooting but have not spoken with police, call 270-856-3721.

Now two dead.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I'm neither politicizing this nor alluding to an aggregate % of schools anywhere in my response. I suspect you are projecting here.

The norm I am referring to is the fact that school shootings are happening at all.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Finally got word that my relatives/friends there are safe.
My thoughts and prayers are with those who must deal with this horrible tragedy.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Phew I am glad your numbers make it seem ok to you,

"In a really bad year...I'm going with 2014...there were 36"

Even with my poor maths thats 3 a month, 3 school shootings a month and you are honestly ok with that

Can you imagine a year with 0, now that would be something to be proud of

RIP to the innocent lives lost and the devasting consequences for their loved family members

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 08:40 AM
link   
You said that the children said there were only SIX shots fired, yet 2 dead and 18 injured.....

Wonder if there was physical altercation resulting in the additional damage?

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: dothedew
You said that the children said there were only SIX shots fired, yet 2 dead and 18 injured.....

Wonder if there was physical altercation resulting in the additional damage?

Yea, thats an interesting observation.

My buddy said his kids are trained to count shots, they came home and said SIX shots.

Chaos and confusion? Dunno why the conflict in what his kids told him.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: UpIsNowDown

Phew I am glad your numbers make it seem ok to you,

"In a really bad year...I'm going with 2014...there were 36"

Even with my poor maths thats 3 a month, 3 school shootings a month and you are honestly ok with that

Can you imagine a year with 0, now that would be something to be proud of

RIP to the innocent lives lost and the devasting consequences for their loved family members

this school year is going to be a rough one... this calendar year, not counting when schools opened last September, theres been 11 school shootings so far. not all made the news, not all resulted in homicides

It was one of at least 11 shootings involving school property recorded since Jan. 1, and roughly the 50th of the academic year

edit on 24-1-2018 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I was watching this after clicking your link yesterday and they had some coverage going on.... I was mortified, and disgusted with how they described the girl who died being carried out of the school. I won't repeat what detail they went into but it made me sick to my stomach and I actually cried. As if the parents of the girl or family or friends ever wanted to hear such detail about her condition while her body was carried out. I'm just becoming more and more disgusted and disillusioned with the average reporter.

-Alee

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

Please expound on the reporting, I would like to know what is so upsetting?

I have not listened much to the reports.

posted on Jan, 24 2018 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Wayfarer

Right, and I was putting into perspective that almost 100% of schools every year, even on the worst years of school shootings, have a normalcy of never having to be concerned with a school shooting. So, no, this is not the norm.

Hell, in 2017 with 9 shootings, we had a school shooting every 40.5 days.

That is not a "norm." My point was that you're making a false equivalency, calling these school shootings "the new American norm," when in reality, it's a relatively abnormal happening. Yes, it certainly happens far too often, but it's not an every-day occurrence by any stretch of the imagination, and it's certainly not so common in every area of the country all of the time that students quiver in fear every time that they enter their school.

As sad as it is, yes, school shootings will (and really, always have, though not to this extent) happen in a country where it's a right to keep and bear arms. Hell, I grew up in Southern California and was in high school in the mid-90s, where they were installing metal detectors in public schools...I get the threat. But firearm attacks are a possibility anywhere, at any time. Schools are such a relatively common target because there is little expectation that it will happen, coupled with low-to-no security in many of these places and a ton of innocent children all funneled into one place.

A school is a psychotic murderer's dream, yet we tend to keep doing the wrong things concerning protecting our children from these psychos, so this will continue to be something that happens.

I have my own reasons as to why it is on the path of increasing frequency (in general)--I'm just waiting to see if the shooter will be said to have been on anti-depressant medication at the time. I know where I would place my money on that bet...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join