It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Movie theatre attendance hits 24 yr low

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Honestly? My writing skills pretty much suck, IMHO. And frankly, its a very painstaking and time consuming process. It took me hours to craft that OP. I have always tried to meet the T&C's on ATS, which is why I rarely post an OP. Zaphod, Grambler and LesMis do really good work, IMHO thaat is. Really, if everyone tried to meet the high standards required of the ATS T&C's, this would be a much better place.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I'll have to check that out.

I like the work that truthstream media does.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 01:32 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: notsure1

Well, if people were permitted to have altercations during the movie, rather than being knocked unconscious, bound and gagged for the remaining duration of the movie, then I can see why they may have fallen out of favour.

Some people should not even be allowed to consume snacks during a movie, because they cannot do so without ruining it for everyone else, leave alone have a screaming match with their partner while others try to enjoy the movie.

All bad. unless the wife is a Trump supporter then you are all for it huh?

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Most movies aren't worth the price of the tickets. Concessions are too expensive, and when you have a kid who LOVES popcorn ... *sigh* there is no escaping concessions very easily. And yes, I do say no quite often, but a movie is a special treat. Then there are the other people who have no concept of how to act -- too loud, annoying, won't turn off their phones, etc.

It's overall just easier to stay home and view it there where you don't have to worry about it all.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

originally posted by: TrueBrit

All bad. unless the wife is a Trump supporter then you are all for it huh?

Absolutely!! Trump supporters have ruined the movie experience, as everything in life Is ruined by President Trump (Eye roll).
The drive in movies are great! We have two here locally where I live, and they are packed. I agree on that point. With large HD TVs at home and a sound system a family of four can watch it better at home for 5 or 6 dollars or less.
Cheap drinks and better company!

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Truthstream are brilliant.
Been watching them for quite a while now.
I think they've nearly finished their latest full length movie and I can't wait.

Great content from them and really nicely made.

posted on Jan, 18 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

I think you're right on all three points. Its a combination of the availability of streaming content online at home, declining quality of new movies and lack of originality, and the inclusion of various political agendas.

posted on Jan, 19 2018 @ 08:04 AM
link   

I don't care what politics a pair of people have.

If they must row, they can do it in the privacy of their own home, or shut their damned mouths, and let people watch a movie in peace!

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pandaram
And media reviews are faked.
My last film was sandra bollox space movie. After so much hype from tv and newspapers we decided watch it at cinema for experience.

What a mistake it was..

Couldnt agree more that movie sucked. Fake news and reviews, lol

posted on Jan, 20 2018 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Yes on all counts .

However the big killer for me is my home system is better and cheaper to enjoy.

I can buy a $12 12 pack of beer vs 1 beer for 12 buck, i can eat good quality food for cheap vs eating crap quality food at high quality prices. I can pause to get a beer and pause to discharge the beer.

Wait till vr goes full force , cinema will get crushed

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 12:56 AM
link   
the problem with movies today is that Steven Segal isn't in any of the blockbusters... clearly.

once you get segal back in the action and better yet doing all the writing and executive production ticket sales will bounce back bigly.

posted on Jan, 21 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Hollywood is taking a beating.
The article states that the numbers are not exact.
They calculated by average ticket price so there is undoubtedly some give either way.

But anyways.
I think several factors are the cause.

1, netflix and redbox.
Why pay $20 each for the theatre experience when you can wait a few months and watch in your home.

2, the movies kinda suck now.
Reboots and sequels with no original ideas.

3, to much politics.
Everything has a message, environmental, feminist,or just plain divisive politics.

www.thewrap.com...

As usual, hollywood is expecting a big summer in 18.
Avenger will score big, solo will disapoint.
Just an opinion of course.

2 and 3 for me.

I don't mind politics. I cant stand partisanship. Chappelle rips on everyone and i love him. George Lopez is partisan now. I used to love him.

Comedy isnt movies. But same concept

posted on Jan, 22 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Movie theatre attendance hits 24 yr low

It's all coz of Kodi

For realz.

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Not just Kodi...Showbox, etc. I mean, if I really want to, I can go watch Jumanji at home right now.

I do enjoy the theater experience though. I got that $10 a month Moviepass, but so far, we've had nothing but difficulties using it, and they have ZERO for customer service. Probably going to cancel it. That's the right idea though, in theory, as they make more from the drinks and snacks anyhow...but because we had trouble using it, (my wife's card isn't connected to her account for some reason), we just streamed something at home instead.

Also, bigger and better TVs and sound. I mean, with a 60" screen at home, and a Bose sound system, I really don't suffer watching a flick.

Some things though, just need to be seen opening day at a theater, like Star Wars, etc. but these alone won't rescue the industry. Curious how many $100 million plus movies a studio has to make before they realize that most of these won't make their budget back domestically. (and how many actors who command tens of millions a picture will find such salaries plummeting).... Of course, they'll be fine with their "lesser" salaries, lol.

Face it though, movie theaters are going the way of the dodo....

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I get in movies free with my SAG card. But theater attendance is down except for animated kids movies; moms and kids all over the place. CGI blockbusters still get fair crowds. However most of the time my GF and I are some of the few people in the theater.

Many smaller production houses I work for never even consider a distribution other than streaming and/or DVD/cable. They also promote DVD distribution in 3rd world and foreign countries. It's a big world and the subtitle software is cheap.
The Indy world is huge. We can shoot a feature slasher, T&A horror, chick flik, in 14 days with a barebones cast and crew; going straight to Asia, the ME, Europe, Russia, everywhere. And we don't have to worry about the ratings system. I would rather work on union gigs, TV for scale but hey....

It's a big world out there....

If you have a story to tell....

www.celtx.com...
edit on 23-1-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   
however also hurting the art of film making can also be the thousands of films made last year alone by a guys with a camera and a crew of 3. the production qualities are low, nobody gets paid except the director/producer/writer. (all the same person) and the films usually stink. but there will always be some sad fool who will buy it for a dollar on Amazon or someplace similar and the director will make 50k off it.

to further make my case for the movie market lowering the bar. I worked on one such film just a few months ago. it just got selected for the Marche Du Film-Cannes. the movie is a turd. for it to have gotten selected just shows you what crap most of the industry is dumping out.

edit on 23-1-2018 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

to further make my case for the movie market lowering the bar. I worked on one such film just a few months ago. it just got selected for the Marche Du Film-Cannes. the movie is a turd. for it to have gotten selected just shows you what crap most of the industry is dumping out.

Perhaps you should join us and make your own films and raise the bar, digital and the www has changed everything. Start with this....instead of bitching about the state of the biz, everyone a critic, not everyone has the guts to be a filmmaker.

I'm sure you have a story to tell....

www.celtx.com...

edit on 23-1-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Most of the movies coming out is garbage. Comedy movies are not funny and all time low. Too much actors taking Marvel super hero movies. This led to a downfall of original action movies. The new directors need to learn from the 90's or from Asia. I've seen to many new action movies that are boring and bad story in a very slow pace. I'm just waiting for the UNCLE sequel. Now that is worth watching.
edit on 1-2-2018 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

when you have a kid who LOVES popcorn

Get the kids pack...popcorn, a small drink, and candy, for like $5 or more. It's a much better bang for the buck (and really, who needs so much damn popcorn?)

For candy, should just bring that in with you anyhow. You can buy the same boxes as at the movies, for like $1 at the dollar store. Crazy to spend $4 or more for it. I get they need to make a buck, but a 400% markup is simply theft.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join