It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: NorthAmerica: Border Talks "Disturbing"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
A group of task force members, academics, trade experts, former politicans and diplomats from Canada, the U.S. and Mexico met recently in Ottawa to discuss a number of bold proposals for an integrated North America. The group, sponsored by the New York based Council on Foreign Relations has met with negative reaction from, among others, the Council of Canadians who fear that the groundwork is being laid to sell out important sovereignty issues to American business interests.

www.thestar.com
OTTAWA—An influential tri-national panel has considered a raft of bold proposals for an integrated North America, including a continental customs union, single passport and contiguous security perimeter.

According to a confidential internal summary from the first of three meetings of the Task Force on the Future of North America, discussions also broached the possibility of lifting trade exemptions on cultural goods and Canadian water exports.

Those last two suggestions were dismissed in subsequent deliberations, say members of the task force, an advisory group of academics, trade experts, former politicians and diplomats from Canada, the United States and Mexico sponsored by the New York-based Council on Foreign Relations.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

As much as Canada, USA and Mexico are attached at the hip, I think its important for us all to maintain our independance and sovereignty, even if we cooperate on certain issues. I do not like the idea of, among other things, a single passport. Although some of the concerns expressed by the Council of Canadians - such as one immigration and refugee policy, one foreign policy, one security regime, etc., were dismissed, it all has a disturbing new world order ring to it and would not surprise me one bit if it were in the works. My radar's up!

I just became a member of the Council of Canadians to do my part to stop the madness.

Related News Links:
www.canadians.org
www.cfr.org

[edit on 14/2/05 by AlwaysLearning]

[edit on 14/2/05 by AlwaysLearning]

[edit on 15-2-2005 by John bull 1]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Very interesting. Good work Always.

You might be interested in this thread:

US Brokers Continental Corporate Takeover

...I have been quite concerned about this for a while. Still am.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I've heard of this little plan. I solemnly hope that whatever is decided on is not too drastic. It definately has a "one world" feel to it which I am not ambiguous in saying I DONT LIKE IT ONE BIT.

Note: I am positive my Canadian friends northern will have little enthusiasm as well. As for my Mexican brethren I'm not so sure... God help us....

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Ah, the water. I've been waiting for this to come up ever since NAFTA was passed.

I don't much like the sound of this sentence either:

"Treating all North American citizens as domestic investors in each country."

I wonder if the US realizes how much that open them up to foreign nationals buying in, because they hold Canadian citizenship? It's a bad idea for everbody, except big business and really rich people, of which I am not one.

Once this gets picked up nationally, the fur will fly. We should keep e-mailing the article to all the stations until it is picked up by somebody.

Are you familiar with Rafe Mair? He would love this.

Our government doesn't want an election right now, and this can be used to our benefit.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

And so we should all be. Looks like this meeting is a continuation... I'm very, very concerned. We need to all sit up and take notice...be "mad as hell and not take this anymore!"

If we don't we're just cattle and deserve what we get!

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilverStar
I've heard of this little plan. ...It definately has a "one world" feel to it which I am not ambiguous in saying I DONT LIKE IT ONE BIT.

Note: I am positive my Canadian friends northern will have little enthusiasm as well. As for my Mexican brethren I'm not so sure... God help us....

Most Canadians who know about it don't like it. But you're right about the Mexicans. Guess why Bush is keeping the border open for immigrant workers?

IMO - we should all be one big happy family - but NOT under corporate rule.

Feels like a return to the feudal system - with international corporations as the new monarchies.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlwaysLearning

And so we should all be. Looks like this meeting is a continuation... I'm very, very concerned. We need to all sit up and take notice...be "mad as hell and not take this anymore!"

If we don't we're just cattle and deserve what we get!

Yep. Mad Cow.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey

Our government doesn't want an election right now, and this can be used to our benefit.

Good stuff Duzey...thanks for the info.

As for the election...apparently there was a EKOS poll recently and the Liberals are within range of a majority if an election were held now. I find that hard to believe, but there you go:

Funnily enough...the increase in the Liberals numbers is due to people pushing away from the Conservatives. I'm sure it has a lot to do with what's happening with our neighbours...

EKOS Poll

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey

Good stuff Duzey...thanks for the info.

As for the election...apparently there was a EKOS poll recently and the Liberals are within range of a majority if an election were held now. I find that hard to believe, but there you go:

Funnily enough...the increase in the Liberals numbers is due to people pushing away from the Conservatives. I'm sure it has a lot to do with what's happening with our neighbours...

EKOS Poll

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Yep. Mad Cow.

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

I see I'm not the only comedian out there....good one!

See I laughed so hard I submitted my reply to Duzey twice!

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 11:26 PM
link   

IMO - we should all be one big happy family - but NOT under corporate rule.

Exactly, I will not pretend like many Canadians don't like America and unfortunately American(s) because of our leaders actions lately, and not so lately. But don't hate us HELP US! AAAHhhhh! You guys are our homies feel bad for us! This should give the average Canadian/American and Mexican the picture that something might be on the horizon that could rob us of our individuality and we should take a long look at a different kind of unity, against our handlers.

Note: As an American I am concerned and I must admit a little bit "hurt" by numerous Canadians expressing their near hatred for Americans to almost a racist level and it has NOTHING to do with anything other than our leaders. damn.

[edit on 14-2-2005 by SilverStar]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Note: As an American I am concerned and I must admit a little bit "hurt" by numerous Canadians expressing their near hatred for Americans to almost a racist level and it has NOTHING to do with anything other than our leaders. damn.

Here's me sending a big Canuck hug your way, buddy! We don't hate you...but we are overshadowed by all things American. Plus your government is scary...

Listen, most all of us have friends and family on both sides of the border so there's no way we can hate each other right. But its healthy to express concerns and be on our toes about things we don't like, especially if it affects our individuality.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Listen, most all of us have friends and family on both sides of the border so there's no way we can hate each other right.

Oh man its good to hear that, I knew not all Canadians hate Americans but your just the first Canadian I've ever really heard with anything like that to say. (not that I've encountered alot of you fine folk.) BTW Thanks for the Canuck hug I needed it.

"We can't hate each other right." That is some of the funniest/truest $h1t ever. Mad props/respect.

[edit on 14-2-2005 by SilverStar]

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Why do I feel like we've achieved worldish peace here or something? lol

Today: Canada and America UNITE AGAIN! Ladies and gentlemen.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Nothing in Canadian politics surprises me anymore. It may be due to the political atmosphere in my province, however. I can only laugh at what happens, and be glad that our media in BC hounds the government, no matter who is in power.

The Liberals, sheesh. But then again, look at the options. This is the country that had the Seperatists as the Official Opposition for some time. To me, that is a little odd.

Jack Layton gives me the creeps. Have you seen the Stepford Wives? That is what he reminds me off. He looks 'vacant'.

The Conservatives can't find a leader who can control them, as evidenced by yesterdays headline:

Conservative MP ripped for saying gays can marry - just not each other

Conservative MP Jason Kenney says gays have every right to marry whoever they want - as long as it isn't someone of the same sex.

We don't have a single good choice, but I think Harper would sell us out faster.

And as for the NDP, were you in Ontario when they were in power? I just went through over 10 years with them, and I just couldn't bring myself to vote for them.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Oh man its good to hear that, I knew not all Canadians hate Americans but your just the first Canadian I've ever really heard with anything like that to say. (not that I've encountered alot of you fine folk.) BTW Thanks for the Canuck hug I needed it.

De nada...anytime. There are quite a few of us here on ATS so feel free to ask us questions! We like sharing info about our lovely land, and we like learning too. Its nice to know how we're the same and how we're different. And believe me, we have more in common than most realize.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Exactly, I will not pretend like many Canadians don't like America and unfortunately American(s) because of our leaders actions lately, and not so lately. But don't hate us HELP US! AAAHhhhh! You guys are our homies feel bad for us!

I try to make a policy of never hating someone I have never met

I have family in the US, and my mother is there right now (you guys better take good care of her). I love visiting down there, it is just different. For one thing, did you know that your Coca-Cola tastes different then the stuff we get up here? Pretty strange, and quite upsetting for me last time I went.

My best friend is marrying an American and moving to the States in the fall, so I will be visiting even more often. I'm hoping there is not a lynch mob waiting for me when I get there.

Governments suck, no matter whose it is. That's just the way they are.

posted on Feb, 14 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Oh I hear you totally on that. Actually they all make me sick...I had vowed that I wouldn't vote Liberal...but ended up doing just that because I couldn't stand Harper or his Conservatives. I can't get over him writing a letter to the Wall Street Journal to apologize to the U.S. on behalf of Canada for not going into Iraq. I'll never forget it.

As for Jack...I know what you mean, but lately he's the only one who speaks most for the common man.

Frankly, I think minority governments are good...they have to be on their toes, so the people benefits. And if whatever they are proposing is good for the people, the opposition won't dare call a vote of non-confidence.

As far as I know we got some of our best programs during minority governments.

I have to say though, that I really like the idea of the two term max like in the U.S. More than that and they get complacent and start doing whatever the hell they please.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Why do I feel like we've achieved worldish peace here or something? lol

Today: Canada and America UNITE AGAIN! Ladies and gentlemen.

But of course...at the end of the day, we are a mutual admiration society I think.

posted on Feb, 15 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Frankly, I think minority governments are good...they have to be on their toes, so the people benefits. And if whatever they are proposing is good for the people, the opposition won't dare call a vote of non-confidence.

As far as I know we got some of our best programs during minority governments.

I have to say though, that I really like the idea of the two term max like in the U.S. More than that and they get complacent and start doing whatever the hell they please.

Yes, I'm quite pleased with the current set-up. I think minority governments work quite well and we did get our best stuff under them.

It has the added benefit of making them very careful, because no one wants an election right now. The political mood in Canada can change overnight, we are a pretty cynical bunch up here when it comes to politics.

The two term policy is very appealing. I've always thought the US has the right idea on this one. Chretien ran this country like his own personal kingdom, and was an incredibly arrogant individual who was completely out of touch with reality. On most things. Every time you thought, this time he has to go down, he gets re-elected. What does this say about our options?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join