It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rep. Lewis, Joy Behar agree Trump wouldn't be president if MLK were alive

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scrubdog

I am speaking for history.

King was the ultimate divider. He made more southern separatists angry than any man alive and it got him killed. ONLY the fact that a white man killed him made him a unifying person, that's it.

King was a victim of the time and societal norms, but it is blatantly obvious to anyone paying attention that his message resonated with many more people than it met with anger. If it didn't, that mean ol' White Man would have been able to squash the message and the civil-rights movement.

And history doesn't need you to speak for it.

The ire comes from standing up to people who want to continue to lord over them, push them back into that hole. King was the best at it, and he was filthy hated by the exact same type of people that hate the men listed above, more so.

Stop conflating the two types of people as being the same--they are not. If you don't see that by now, nothing that I say will change that.

But, Obama was about the most understated, dignified, analytical black leader one could possibly ask for, 10x the man Bill Clinton ever dreamed of being, and yet Obama is hated even more than Clinton. Why? Don't give me a bunch of washed over Limbaugh crap. Had Obama done 1% of the stuff occupying the recesses of the Obama hater minds, he would have been investigated every second he was in office by the same group that looked at Benghazi 50K times.

I voted for Obama in 2008, and did so pretty fervently and with pride--not because of the color of his skin, but because I felt that he would be a good counter to the presidency of Bush and his approach at bombing everything in sight and sending people (my wife included, at the time) to play war in a desert that had nothing to do with us. I felt that Bush had too clandestine of a government in place, and I didn't like or trust Cheney.

Obama campaigned against all of that, promising an end (or reduction) to the wars, and the 'most transparent government' in the history of the U.S.

Obama lied, and ended up being basically the same as Bush. I have voted third-party ever since 2012 because of Obama's failures and shortcomings. If you truly think that he is a dignified and analytical leader, you have kept the wool over your eyes that was firmly planted there in 2008 during the campaign. He ended up being just another scummy politician like all of the others.

How's the closure of Gitmo coming along? Oh, yeah...Obama was the epitome of the two-faced politician, telling you what you want to hear and then doing something different. He was good at it, though, I'll give you that.

But to come out and attack who was and is, as a person, but then try to convince me that you would support King, that King would be unifying people today,? Please.

You should have just stopped at how you don't know me--people are a lot more complex than just being black or white (if you'll excuse the unintended, but appropriate, pun) on any given issue, including human beings.

He was a force of nature, his message sat squarely in the face of people VERY much opposed to it. And if you think he'd be just fine with where things stand today, then you've lifted a cartoon character out of a video and dressed him up for your own needs. I don't doubt for a second he would make me squirm about my views, what I've done, my dreams.

Haven't actually seen what I've written in this thread, have you? I never said that he'd be happy with where things are today.

I did a senior thesis on King, which doesn't make me a scholar on the movement, it doesn't mean I don't have much to learn, it does mean that I think my view ought to be considered. I ask no more.

I have considered your views...that's why I responded the way that I did, because I think that you're making false equivalencies and trying to speak for people who have their own voice on the topic. I will say this: You appear to have a far too simplistic view on the complexity of people.

It's perfectly appropriate to dislike Obama, Sharpton, and (a much less influential these days) Jackson, and to applaud King and what he stood for and how he did it. The OSJ group are far too deep into questionable ethics and divisive (in a bad way) political rhetoric to even hold a candle to MLKJr. They're not even in the same category, and that's a great think for Mr. King.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

That response to scrub was priceless. I feel like you. King wasn't perfect but had a good message and walked the walk of trying to unite. Those mentioned are the ones Dr Sowell born in Harlem and an R all his life has called out.
edit on 16-1-2018 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Funny...I would actually argue that if King was alive he would praise Trump for what he is doing. It is the MSM that is causing the rift. Trump is actually trying to mend the rift that has been pushed for years by the liberal agenda.

Folks like Lewis just need to resign and get some actual forward thinkers and visionaries in place. He is still living in his segregation march days.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

Yeah, if only I had paid attention to the coding so that it looked correct (on one of my computers, it doesn't show quotes within quotes...it's odd, but it's because we're forced to use IE11).

Hopefully most other people can see the entire thing.

Best Regards.

Slap

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I know that it's splitting hairs, but I would argue that people need to wake up and quit voting these asshats into office more than they need to resign.

Oh, and term limits, of course

We the people hold the power of retaining or removing these people from our government--we need to start voting AFTER we use critical-thinking skills, not before.

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Dumb-azz #1

“We are all connected. We can’t just build a wall or a fence and say no more. This is America. Our doors are open. #AskDems” - John Lewis

Dumb-azz #2

'I’m Sure People In Concentration Camps Made Jokes About Each Other and The Nazis' - Joy Behar

posted on Jan, 17 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   
"I strongly believe that MLK being the great man that he was would have illuminated [...] how we need to stop judging any people by the color of their skin, but instead by the content of their character."

That's precisely what he did when he was alive.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join