It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rep. Lewis, Joy Behar agree Trump wouldn't be president if MLK were alive

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku
why is MLK such an awesome person but only for one day a year?
you couldnt care less.

B S is high with this one folks....

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

John Lewis is a moron. All he ever does is race bait.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scrubdog
Cracks me up how the Republicans have wholly taken MLK in as their own, even stating he'd decry "identity politics" as labeled by the OP.

Right.

King has been sanitized by the right so as to fit their narrative. He was a force of nature, in the face of the establishment, making absolutely everyone uncomfortable. The people here hating on Lewis, a hero, and Obama, another hero, want us to believe that they'd love MLK if he were alive. These same people likely hate Sharpton, Jessie Jackson, all of them, but they love MLK because he's safely in the past, where history can sanitize the message, make it safe.

If you hate Obama, hate Lewis, hate Sharpton, hate Jackson, you'd definitely hate King. The common theme among these men is they refused to apologize for being black and put that unapologetic position right in front of people's threatened faces, which is why they're detested.

King did it better than all of them, all of them put together. he is safely in the past now because he did it better, they had to kill him to shut him up. He was a revolutionary, he lived to make you and me uncomfortable. Your comfort now, in espousing what you KNOW to be true, would be anathema to him.

Go ahead and hate all these men. You're not fooling anyone. I seriously doubt you're fooling yourselves. If I picked you up and put you down back then, or picked him up and placed him down right now, you'd be fighting him just like you fight Obama and Lewis. There's no difference.

All talk, same story.

You don't get to have him. You don't deserve him, none of us do. He martyred himself against a cause carried on today in the heart of people like Trump.

well that might be cause he was a Republican. When JFK helped the black cause they turned D. After JFK was killed the gov turned them into government plantation slaves.....

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
King was no saint.

Neither are a majority of the people on Earth, you know? I am no saint either.
edit on 15-1-2018 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler
Reminds me one of my grandmother's bits of wisdom. When someone would start this sort of nonsense she would say, "Well, if pigs could fly we'd all need steal umbrellas."

Rev. Dr. King and I share a birthday so I always remember him on this day. I never saw him in person but watched many of his speeches on tv. I vividly remember living under martial law in Nashville during the days following his murder. Nobody slept in that city for days because the sirens never ceased. I sincerely hope to never experience anything like that again.

My father always believed he was killed because he was so successful in his mission to unite people. He scared the bejusus out of the people who make a living off division. It seems today as if their numbers are legion.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
a reply to: schuyler
Reminds me one of my grandmother's bits of wisdom. When someone would start this sort of nonsense she would say, "Well, if pigs could fly we'd all need steal umbrellas."

Rev. Dr. King and I share a birthday so I always remember him on this day. I never saw him in person but watched many of his speeches on tv. I vividly remember living under martial law in Nashville during the days following his murder. Nobody slept in that city for days because the sirens never ceased. I sincerely hope to never experience anything like that again.

My father always believed he was killed because he was so successful in his mission to unite people. He scared the bejusus out of the people who make a living off division. It seems today as if their numbers are legion.

I was in Memphis then... crazy.... we lived across from Elvis and no one came over to his area marching so I missed it.. was about 9.

I too think he was killed for uniting us all as Americans. Black or White we are all Americans.

edit on 15-1-2018 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Scrubdog

He was a force of nature, in the face of the establishment, making absolutely everyone uncomfortable

You just described Trump to a T.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 01:33 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: 3daysgone
I hope you’re kidding

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: YungMahn
I hope you’re kidding

3days isn't way off on that remark. DJT is resetting the Bar and going after corruption since he had to see it up close when doing business and having such huge projects.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

Don't confuse the lefties like that.... They might have to admit they were wrong.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 08:07 AM
link   

How in the heck did you make any comparison,your putting your beliefs in place of facts,something that never happened can have a million scenarios,yours is 1

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 08:10 AM
link   

I disagree.

Dr. King's words, his legacy remains.

His message has been twisted, ignored, bastardized by those who claim to speak for him.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Sadly, I think that if MKLJr were alive today, he would have either been evolved into being used as a political tool, or would have been pressured into becoming a political tool himself.

I say this because, as the popularity of equality took hold (yes, it has firmly taken hold, regardless of what some people claim), more and more politicians would have latched on to his message and his bipartisan acceptance, and it would have bastardized his message and misconstrued what he actually meant.

Hell, we see that today, as both sides invoke his name in different ways, often doing deplorable (no, that's not just a swipe at Republicans) things in the process to those who MLKJr was trying to embolden and for whom he was trying to gain equality.

I truly wish that he were alive today, as he could, in person, correct these people who misconstrue his message and spin his teachings and desires to suit political gains, and I truly believe that he would have had to character to do so, regardless of the person or party doing it. But at the same time, I'm thankful that his death catapulted his message and teachings in the ways that it did, and without that sad action, it's very possible that his efforts could have went down the path of petering out and losing traction with the general public.

Damn...I guess what I'm saying as I think while I type is that, I wouldn't want to change history, because as it worked out the way it did, I think that our nation is truly better for it having happened.

As for Lewis and Behar--who gives a sh*t.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

If you hate Obama, hate Lewis, hate Sharpton, hate Jackson, you'd definitely hate King. The common theme among these men is they refused to apologize for being black and put that unapologetic position right in front of people's threatened faces, which is why they're detested.

For whom do you pretend to speak?

King was not the divider that Lewis, Sharpton, and Jackson are; King was not a perfect man, not was every portion of his message perfect for me, or for my neighbor, or for each individual black American, but he was NOT a divider by nature, he was a unifier by message and action.

The three detestables that you cite purposefully and with design attempt to divide and enflame America, but not for the good of people overall, but to chase a political means to an end (which, coincidentally, ends with them having a lot of money in their bank accounts).

Do not pretend that King was the same as these other three people, because he was not--those three have taken his message and destroyed it and infected it and repackaged it into a system only accessible by swiping the race card.

Go ahead and hate all these men. You're not fooling anyone. I seriously doubt you're fooling yourselves. If I picked you up and put you down back then, or picked him up and placed him down right now, you'd be fighting him just like you fight Obama and Lewis. There's no difference.

And you are speaking from stupidity, because you have no way of justifying your ignorant comments and claims with any shred of proof.

The same could be said about your comment: Go ahead and love all three of those men, but you're not fooling anyone, but I do think that you've fooled yourself.

You don't get to have him. You don't deserve him, none of us do. He martyred himself against a cause carried on today in the heart of people like Trump.

Everyone gets to have him and his legacy--don't presume to be able to pick and choose who gets to appreciate and live by his messages.

If a person here detests Sharpton, I don't see them being able to listen to King for more than 30 seconds.

At least you admit here that this is just your opinion--and an ignorant one at that. I have sat, by myself, for no other reason that appreciation for MLKJr, and listened to hours and hours of him speaking, and I detest the three other men that you mention.

This will come as a shock to you, but you may not have the grasp on the topic that you think that you do, at least as far as it extends to why "type" of people can appreciate MLKJr and abhor the other people that you cite. It has much more to do with their actions than their message, but even their messages are acidic in nature, and have been for decades; they have earned their ire far more than they have earned their respect.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

For whom do you pretend to speak?

King was not the divider that Lewis, Sharpton, and Jackson are; King was not a perfect man, not was every portion of his message perfect for me, or for my neighbor, or for each individual black American, but he was NOT a divider by nature, he was a unifier by message and action.

The three detestables that you cite purposefully and with design attempt to divide and enflame America, but not for the good of people overall, but to chase a political means to an end (which, coincidentally, ends with them having a lot of money in their bank accounts).

Do not pretend that King was the same as these other three people, because he was not--those three have taken his message and destroyed it and infected it and repackaged it into a system only accessible by swiping the race card.

And you are speaking from stupidity, because you have no way of justifying your ignorant comments and claims with any shred of proof.

The same could be said about your comment: Go ahead and love all three of those men, but you're not fooling anyone, but I do think that you've fooled yourself.

Everyone gets to have him and his legacy--don't presume to be able to pick and choose who gets to appreciate and live by his messages.

If a person here detests Sharpton, I don't see them being able to listen to King for more than 30 seconds.

At least you admit here that this is just your opinion--and an ignorant one at that. I have sat, by myself, for no other reason that appreciation for MLKJr, and listened to hours and hours of him speaking, and I detest the three other men that you mention.

This will come as a shock to you, but you may not have the grasp on the topic that you think that you do, at least as far as it extends to why "type" of people can appreciate MLKJr and abhor the other people that you cite. It has much more to do with their actions than their message, but even their messages are acidic in nature, and have been for decades; they have earned their ire far more than they have earned their respect.

I am speaking for history.

King was the ultimate divider. He made more southern separatists angry than any man alive and it got him killed. ONLY the fact that a white man killed him made him a unifying person, that's it.

"They have earned their ire"?

Yes, I am sure "they" have. The ire comes from standing up to people who want to continue to lord over them, push them back into that hole. King was the best at it, and he was filthy hated by the exact same type of people that hate the men listed above, more so.

Perhaps you would be the one out of 10 who would look at him differently. I don't know you and I always try to use caution on the net.

But, Obama was about the most understated, dignified, analytical black leader one could possibly ask for, 10x the man Bill Clinton ever dreamed of being, and yet Obama is hated even more than Clinton. Why? Don't give me a bunch of washed over Limbaugh crap. Had Obama done 1% of the stuff occupying the recesses of the Obama hater minds, he would have been investigated every second he was in office by the same group that looked at Benghazi 50K times.

So, I don't care if you're a Republican that hated Obamas politics, that's just fine. But to come out and attack who was and is, as a person, but then try to convince me that you would support King, that King would be unifying people today,? Please. Again, King became a global icon of unity AFTER he died. He was HATED by many prior to this death, and STILL isn't particularly cared about down where I live. It's a token nod, and well-sanitized.

He was a force of nature, his message sat squarely in the face of people VERY much opposed to it. And if you think he'd be just fine with where things stand today, then you've lifted a cartoon character out of a video and dressed him up for your own needs. I don't doubt for a second he would make me squirm about my views, what I've done, my dreams.

Obama, on the other hand, was the opposite, he spent his entire career talking unity to make us comfortable, doing all he could to not scare the white folk' and did a damn fine job as president, handed off a country 3x better off than the one handed to him, no new wars. It really isn't even all that debatable. The country is in a much better place as of Jan 2017 then it was Jan 09.

I did a senior thesis on King, which doesn't make me a scholar on the movement, it doesn't mean I don't have much to learn, it does mean that I think my view ought to be considered. I ask no more.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3daysgone

He was a force of nature, in the face of the establishment, making absolutely everyone uncomfortable

Except Trump has never done a single thing that wasn't for his own personal gain.

Trump and MLK as similar.

Whatever, sport.

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: YungMahn
I hope you’re kidding

What part of that doesn't sound like Trump?

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3daysgone

Except Trump has never done a single thing that wasn't for his own personal gain.

Trump and MLK as similar.

Whatever, sport.

I am sure Trump is into more personal gain than King. King was Preacher and Trump was a business man. Two entirely different worlds, but they went after what they wanted as hard as they could go.

As far as Trump not doing a single thing that wasn't for personal gain, well I am afraid you are wrong again.

From Rand Paul

"I know personally about his feelings towards Haiti and toward Central America because when I was not a candidate for president and he wasn’t a candidate for president I went down there on a medical mission trip," Paul continued. "I did about 200 cataract surgeries with a group of surgeons in Haiti and the same in Central America, and when we asked Donald J. Trump as a private citizen to support those trips, he was a large financial backer of both medical mission trips."

www.dailywire.com...#

edit on 16-1-2018 by 3daysgone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   

I am speaking for history.

Okay, you claim to "speak for history" but it is clear that you don't even KNOW that history if you think Dr. King was a divisive person. I'm sorry but doing a "senior thesis" on him doesn't qualify you to "speak for history." There are whole bunch of us who were there. White people, Native people and Asian people (and plenty of us mixed-race folks as well) all joined black people in those marches. Back then, as now, the media was ceaselessly trying to stir the pot of racism, especially those who were infested with the alphabet agencies who sent in subversives to start violence. Because "If it bleeds, it leads..."

The hatred came from the people whose power he threatened (Robert Byrd and LBJ come to mind) not the average citizen. So take your disinformation campaign elsewhere. Sharpton and Jackson aren't fit to shine Dr. King's shoes.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join