It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

20-year-old claims $451 million

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   
www.yahoo.com...

I am happy to see someone young win this, but there is a part of me that just thinks 20 might be a little too young. I mean c'mon, he was just in high school two years ago!

I think about how I was at 20, and the only cliche that come to mind is that youth is wasted on the young! Maybe this kid will be different?

"I'm only 20, but I hope to use it to pursue a variety of passions, help my family and do some good for humanity," said Missler, according to the statement."

I also think that kind of money would be a lot better spread out amongst many people, 1mil for 451 people instead?

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Looks like he opted to receive a onetime payment of close to $282 mill.

Lucky guy.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Hope the kid doesn't blow it all on caviar and coc aine.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: BotheLumberJack

That's the other thing I wondered about, would he have been better off going with installments? (maybe not in Illinois ha ha)
but for such a young guy he may regret the lump sum when he is older.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.yahoo.com...

I am happy to see someone young win this, but there is a part of me that just thinks 20 might be a little too young. I mean c'mon, he was just in high school two years ago!

I think about how I was at 20, and the only cliche that come to mind is that youth is wasted on the young! Maybe this kid will be different?

"I'm only 20, but I hope to use it to pursue a variety of passions, help my family and do some good for humanity," said Missler, according to the statement."

I also think that kind of money would be a lot better spread out amongst many people, 1mil for 451 people instead?

I bet he can get a date now.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I would sue for the other half. Fk Taxes.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Hoping he's a sensible young man, he should be ok.

"I'm only 20, but I hope to use it to pursue a variety of passions, help my family and do some good for humanity," said Missler, according to the statement.

edit on 15-1-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Good luck to the young Man.

Hopefully, he can do some good with the stuff and realize a few dreams and desires that were not possible before his staggering windfall.

Then again they say monies cannot buy happiness.

Not that i would mind testing the premise myself.

edit on 15-1-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   
The kid has a stable and supportive family and a smart attorney that has assisted other lottery winners. He knows his life will never be the same again, and he is receiving the proper guidance.
Lawyer charts Florida lottery winner’s future: ‘Your old life is gone’.

Winning the lottery can cause a "roller coaster of emotions," said Blenner in his first interview since Missler’s win. But that euphoria is followed by a trail of important decisions.

First, there’s the security and privacy phase.

In Missler’s case, "security became paramount" due to the huge windfall, Blenner said.

In general, he added, lottery winners will shut off social media accounts, cancel phone accounts and use no-contract phones to communicate with family members.

Once privacy and security parameters are in place, winners must then chart their futures.

"With an enormous amount, you don’t really do active investments. You do wealth management," Blenner said. "You already have all the money in the world."

Lottery winners also have to consider upgrading their insurance, from car to homeowner’s policies. They can also sign up for something called "kidnap and ransom" insurance.

"The world is full of people who would do anything to sue a lottery winner," Blenner said.

There’s also the question of disappearing for a while until the media frenzy settles. With smaller lottery winners, they can take a cruise or vacation for a couple of weeks and return to find that "the media is on to 15 other things in that time frame."

"When it’s a big number," Blenner said, "people remember."

Missler, his lawyer added without offering many details, is "nowhere locally."

Once lottery winners return from their impromptu vacations, the real long-term decisions set in: Do they quit their job? Do they rent or buy new property? Where will they live?

On Saturday, Missler texted Blenner from his new undisclosed location.

"He’s doing well," Blenner said. "He’s a very poised 20-year-old and he’s got everything going right for him. He’s got a close family, and a close group of advisers, and we do hope to work with him for years to come."
edit on 1-15-2018 by worldstarcountry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

If I won that kind of money I'd spend most of It on whores, drugs and booze, and squander what was left.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I bet by the time he's 40, he'll be wishing he hadn't won it at such an young age.

(Olaru you must be in your second childhood.)

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

My aunt worked at a mid priced chain hotel. Some bum won the lottery and stayed at the hotel. He bought tons and tons of electronics, computers, laptops, phones. You name it. When he ran out of money he just dumped everything and left. My aunt scooped up all the goods from the dumpster, some were still wrapped.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I wish the kid the best of luck, cant imagine the pressure that will come with the realization that he will have to question the motivation of everyone coming into his life.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

If I won that kind of money I'd spend most of It on whores, drugs and booze, and squander what was left.

You'd probably have to get a special squander accountant, just to be sure you were squandering it as efficiently as possible.

Otherwise, you might leave some unsquandered legacy, like a fool.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

It already is being spread out to the whole country through taxes. You don't mean you think they should take more?

Perhaps you're saying your jealous and wish he'd give you part of it, just because

edit on 1/15/2018 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

You would have lots of friends - until it ran out.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Jagstorm, I think gifting it to someone say like his Parents would save them from being taxed for a year, I forget what the rules are for that but would be worth looking into for him.

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Not talking about taxes and can't say I'm jealous either.

I wonder if these lotteries would do more good if the prizes were smaller, more often and could help more people. I'm sure that wouldn't work for mega ball or whatever that is, but doesn't that amount seem insane for just one person?

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

With that kind of money, you would have to have accountants, and then backup accountants to check up on the first accountants. Lots of crooked accountants out there. Maybe change them up every few years?

posted on Jan, 15 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Sounds like the premise to Brewster's Millions. LoL

Loved that movie and still do.

edit on 15-1-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join