It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How long has the moon been in orbit

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Thanks for that - I never did understand the mechanics of the theory that the Moon was the result of such a massive impact with the Earth but as you point out, the Earth was mostly molten at the time. I had not thought about that as I thought it was solid. That helps me understand this now, so thanks!

You learn something new every day.

I am grateful.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Oldtimer2

The magic of Google:
How Old Is the Moon? Scientists Say They Finally Know

A new analysis of lunar rocks brought to Earth by Apollo astronauts suggests that the moon formed 4.51 billion years ago — just 60 million years after the solar system itself took shape.

That article even came out yesterday.

edit on 12-1-2018 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)
So it’s settled then, humans built the moon 4.5 billion years ago.
edit on 12-1-2018 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

I am glad my random assortment of general knowledge has proven useful to you.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
As the fragments from the collision obtained orbit, over millions of years they eventually formed or collided together
to form a massive rock. Most things in orbit over a long enough time will smooth down to near-round. Like the planets.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
Most things in orbit over a long enough time will smooth down to near-round. Like the planets.

Yes and no. The object needs to be molten for this to happen. Asteroids will orbit and rotate on their axes but never become spherical because they aren't molten and there is no friction to weather them down.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   
What the hell people.

Everyone knows the moon is made of cheese.

Space the ultimate refrigerator.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Here are some old texts that speak to a time before there was a moon

The Earth Without the Moon The period when the Earth was Moonless is probably the most remote recollection of mankind. Democritus and Anaxagoras taught that there was a time when the Earth was without the Moon.(1) Aristotle wrote that Arcadia in Greece, before being inhabited by the Hellenes, had a population of Pelasgians, and that these aborigines occupied the land already before there was a moon in the sky above the Earth; for this reason they were called Proselenes.

(2) Apollonius of Rhodes mentioned the time “when not all the orbs were yet in the heavens, before the Danai and Deukalion races came into existence, and only the Arcadians lived, of whom it is said that they dwelt on mountains and fed on acorns, before there was a moon.”

(3) Plutarch wrote in The Roman Questions: “There were Arcadians of Evander’s following, the so-called pre-Lunar people.”(4) Similarly wrote Ovid: “The Arcadians are said to have possessed their land before the birth of Jove, and the folk is older than the Moon.” (5) Hippolytus refers to a legend that “Arcadia brought forth Pelasgus, of greater antiquity than the moon.”(6) Lucian in his Astrology says that “the Arcadians affirm in their folly that they are older than the moon.”

(7) Censorinus also alludes to the time in the past when there was no moon in the sky.(8)

the earth without the moon

The text goes on to give some theories

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

lol awesome comment WC

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 10:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

As far as I'm concerned I think it was put in place after last catyclism,and whom ever it was is responsible for todays humans

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

Umm thinking that our universe is dominated more by electricity and magnetism than gravity. Suggesting cores of planets, moons and stars are more like charged particles who's 'size' is proportionally larger than typical matter we can observe with our naked eye.

For instance the core of the earth may be a single particle who's size takes up say a meter. Then the matter which is 'outside' the core is in varying stages of energy/matter after a certain distance you get to states of matter we can recognize like first a shell of plasma, then superheated magma.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Scrubdog

I don't know where you get your information from but you didn't get a single fact correct. By the way thats hard to do even by luck you should have got something right.

OK first its no where near a perfect circle its orbit distance varies from 7% less than average (at perigee, when the Moon is closest to the Earth) to 6% more than the average (at apogee, when the Moon is farthest from the Earth).

The position of Moonrise and Moonset, like that of Sunrise and Sunset varies as the Earth goes around the Sun, but also with the phases of the Moon. Only on the equinoxes (Sept/Mar 21st) does the Sunrise/set at due East/West. At the solstices (Dec/June 21st) the position is its furthest South/North of East/West. So wean get total eclipses because it varies not because its fixed.

OK moon rocks the oldest found was 4.44 billion years old for rocks thanks to Apollo. The earth is estimated to be approximately 4.54 ± 0.05 billion years so its not older and formed very early in connection with earth.

Now finally if the moon was hollow we could easily tell by its gravitational effect on earth. The math shows us its not hollow he moon's mass is 7.35 x 1022 kg, about 1.2 percent of Earth's mass.

As far as the secret space program its not all that secret. Space command has been at Wright Patterson since world war 2. They launch military payloads in to space and here is there budget have a look.

www.gao.gov...

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
This is a good explanation of how the moon got it's "lemon" shape.

www.space.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: SkeptiSchism

Not even going in to this other then to say ah no. You aren't even close in fact ill say again no just no.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

but does he understand the question?

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Eclipses are when 'they' change the bulbs and batteries, it is known...

Stay Hydrated...

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
What the hell people.

Everyone knows the moon is made of cheese.

Space the ultimate refrigerator.

The moon we see today is a precursor of PROJECT BLUE BEAM and is merely a holographic projection. The real moon was consumed by hungry rodents many moons ago.

edit on 1122018 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

I wonder if it's still under warranty.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

originally posted by: Plotus
SO the Earth is how old ? And the moon if recent is how old. Before the moon there would of been no tides, or tidal forces. The Earth's waters would of been static. Would there have been n Aurora ? or ozone, or Moonpies.

Careful! That's what happens when you think things through! And yes, the moon is made of exactly the same substances and elements that the Earth is.... (almost like it came from here. Hmmmm.

Don’t be so stupid. The moon is made of cheese.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   
we barely know anything for certain beyond a few thousand years back. the moon could be artificial. could be hollow. could be occupied by aliens. could have been inserted into earth orbit by them. we don't know for sure.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join