It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there any way to send a fax without an active phone line?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 05:40 AM
link   
About 8 years ago, when I needed a new printer/copier, I purchased an 'all in one' HP that came with a fax machine.

Over the years, even thoough I only had to use it occasionally, the fax option came in very handy and convenient.

Recently my internet and phone provider raised its rates so high on the phone line so that it was not worth keeping.

So I kept the internet serviece [goes throuh the phone line with a high speed modem] and discontinued the phone service.

Now the question is - I still have my all in one printer, copier, fax hooked up to the same phone line - but phone service is

no longer active - Anyway I can still send and/or receive a fax communication ?

- Thanks
edit on 12-1-2018 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-1-2018 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

Yes, there is a program called srfax that lets you do it via email.

edit on 12-1-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Thanks - But I don't think that will work.......

They sent me a sample fax page - looks OK

But how is that going to work when you need to send a legal signed document to a company or government agency?

They usually want a printed copy of what you are sending sent to their fax number

How will I do that? - Can my fax machine work like a fax machine and then send the content to the fax number of
the recipient?

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I'm going to check that out.
It may come in handy this weekend.

P.S. Glad to see that you haven't fallen off of your roof...
yet.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   
eFax allows you to add a digital signature to the documents
Hope this helps

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird
P.S. Glad to see that you haven't fallen off of your roof...
yet.

Give it time.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Scan the documents

Send them via e-mail or to an online fax service.

I just googled and found this: The Best Online Fax Services of 2017. I don't use fax any more so I can't vouch for article.

BTW, In the early days of the Internet, a company I worked for blocked e-mail & internet access for employees, but allowed us to use fax machines (we had lots) and send/recieve faxes directly from our PC's

So, for a lark, I wrote a server that OCR'd incoming faxes for URL's and then navigated to those URL's, and returned image data as an answering fax. With a little app that read mouse movements & keyboard, you could navigate (slowly) around the web by fax.

It was also a really buggy process and would sometimes send far too much to a real world fax machine & we'd have to intervene before it ate all the paper in the machine.

edit on 12/1/2018 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   
when ur printer is on can you see it on ur iPhone in settings:wifi? From there print whatever through ur phone

Or

Perhaps on ur iPhone open up settings:personal hotspot and give ur printer internet access that way

That's all I got but think ur printer may be too old for any of this. Lol

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 08:32 AM
link   

I find that I need to use a fax once every three years of so,
normally I just go to office Depot and get it done in two minutes.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
A couple solutions that I've used in the past include:

- j2.com, a full service internet based communications service. I think they charge a monthly fee, so might be overkill.
- FaxFile us a Playstore app that works from my Android phone (probably from iPhones, as well). You pay into an account and can scan a document with your phone's camera and send the fax from your phone. The fee is deducted from your account. Works fine.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   

you still have a phone number associated with your internet. you will be able to receive calls and faxes but not send them.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
efax.com is the one my company uses. Reasonable monthly rates.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
In ye olden days, you could use a 56K modem to receive and send faxes. Now you have to use a third party company that lets you convert emails to faxes and vice versa. Some let you set up your own phone number and send a few free faxes.

posted on Jan, 12 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Yes, there is a program called srfax that lets you do it via email.

I emailed that company last night - this is their reply:

"Hi ........., Yes, for anyone you share faxes with our service will appear as a normal fax. You will be able to send and receive your faxes through any machine which has access to websites or emails, no phone line required. www.srfax.com... Kind Regards, Tyler SRFax Support"

I checked their webite and the rates seem reasonable.

BUT I think of this - If you use this type of service aren't you giving the company access to private information?

Another words say it is an application for something that requires a social security number and/or other info
- the company would then have that info and if ........... OR can you trust them?

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   

I would just head to Staples or a UPS store if that is your main concern.

posted on Jan, 13 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Hopefully faxes will die one day - drives me nuts so many state and federal government agencies rely on them.

But there are a ton of free (with ads) fax services online. If they need a hardcopy, you will need to have a scanner, one way or another. Sign it.. scan it.. free fax it.. send it. : )

7 Free Fax Services

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I've had good luck with MetroFax, they have some good reviews although it still carries a monthly cost. Heard positive stuff about FaxZero which costs nothing although it had some pretty severe limitations for free use. None of these require a physical fax machine so you can trash it (unless you use it to print).

(post by FedyaTheoderich removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

join