It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Trump's Fault That The Flow of Foreign Students Wanes & U.S. Universities Feel the Sting

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: c2oden

xenophobes and bigots are the ones that will be happy to have less immigrants here, this thread is about it being partly trumps fault that immigrants are not coming here to study. if i were from another country i might scratch the good ol usa off my list as a place to study because of the heightened xenophobia since donny and his rhetoric came to office. like i said that would be good news to xenophobes and bigots.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   
There are only about 30-40 colleges and universities worth actually paying to attend in the US. If you aren't going to one of those schools it makes no sense to take on large amounts of debt. Better off just attending whatever school gives you a free ride or picks up at least most of the cost of attending.

College costs are inflated because government has perverted the student loan system causing rapid cost inflation. In a normal market where banks underwrite debt, no one would be getting a loan for women's studies at third and fourth tier universities or for profit schools with little job prospects upon graduation.

The only way to fix the cost of college is to choke off student loans so universities are forced to lower the cost of attending. Kids are taking on mortgages to essentially pay for resort style amenities while in school. Rock climbing walls, food courts, gyms, spas, etc.

link   

originally posted by: c2oden

originally posted by: conspiracy nut

this is great news for xenophobes and bigots that are afraid of anyone that looks different from them. the entire planet is moving toward an age of globalism, its inevitable.

trump wants to isolate the united states as the world moves forward together with or without us, this will open the door for a great leader to amass power enough to rival ours and eventually we will have to jump in to another world war...perhaps its all a part of his 4d chess match plan.

Globalism sucks.

change is inevitable, look at a map from 1817 and you will see how much borders and cultures have changed. they will continue to change and a map from 2217 will look nothing like it does today.

I do not need to look at a map.

You brought xenophobes, bigots and anyone who looks different in the thread and equated it with Trump and isolationism and another world war.

Then you said it is part of his 4d chess match.

So what does 2217 have to do with it?

remember ww2? we were isolationists and we didn't want to get involved in worldly affairs, one thing led to another and you know the rest of the story.

link   
a reply to: conspiracy nut

You remember that Obama sent back more illegals that Trump right?

And making sure student/tourist visas are followed properly could have stopped 911.

Is it "xenophobes and bigots" that demand laws be followed?

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
Some time during the election, I compared Trump to the abusive boyfriend who isolates his woman from her family and friends so that he can abuse her unabated. Trump is doing the same thing with the entire US. He's isolating the US from our allies by exiting several trade deals and he's building a wall to keep people out. The abuse will happen when terrorist attacks start happening on US soil again.

Which allies is he isolating us from?
And what have these allies done for us?

He hasn't physically isolated the US but he has verbally by offending everyone who doesn't agree with him. He insulted the British Prime Minister if i recall correctly. There are other things he's said with regard to Mexico, the ME, and parts of Africa which are offensive. Trump's isolationism might have worked in the 80's or 90's but it won't work in today's world. Other countries, namely China, are poised to fill the void left on the world stage by the US. My opinion.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
There are only about 30-40 colleges and universities worth actually paying to attend in the US. If you aren't going to one of those schools it makes no sense to take on large amounts of debt. Better off just attending whatever school gives you a free ride or picks up at least most of the cost of attending.

College costs are inflated because government has perverted the student loan system causing rapid cost inflation. In a normal market where banks underwrite debt, no one would be getting a loan for women's studies at third and fourth tier universities or for profit schools with little job prospects upon graduation.

The only way to fix the cost of college is to choke off student loans so universities are forced to lower the cost of attending. Kids are taking on mortgages to essentially pay for resort style amenities while in school. Rock climbing walls, food courts, gyms, spas, etc.

You don't live in our reality where you need a degree to be a customer service rep or to file paperwork or do algebra.

The manufacturing jobs don't pay # anymore and machines do more of the work every year. Young people really have no choice and many of them are operating under poor guidance.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   
no but being happy about immigrants not coming here would make xenophobes and bigots happy wouldn't it? even if that means educated people that could improve our talent pool.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   

a reply to: c2oden

xenophobes and bigots are the ones that will be happy to have less immigrants here, this thread is about it being partly trumps fault that immigrants are not coming here to study. if i were from another country i might scratch the good ol usa off my list as a place to study because of the heightened xenophobia since donny and his rhetoric came to office. like i said that would be good news to xenophobes and bigots.

There is no "heightened xenophobia since donny and his rhetoric came to office".

Those that fear change did not start fearing it a year ago.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: conspiracy nut

I just think when you say things like improve our talent pool it sounds completely ridiculous to me as someone who lives in a poor part of the country saving money to move out.

Saying we need more talent to anyone in the state I live in will get you a smirk or laughed at because there aren't even enough positions that pay more than 15 an hour for anyone let alone millions of more people from other countries

what do we need the talent for?

silicone valley is already working on deep learning algorithms that can problem solve and create faster than humans

you guys are in the wrong decade

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

You don't live in our reality where you need a degree to be a customer service rep or to file paperwork or do algebra.

The manufacturing jobs don't pay # anymore and machines do more of the work every year. Young people really have no choice and many of them are operating under poor guidance.

I didn't say you don't need to attend college, you just don't need to take on a ton of debt to do it. Again, unless you are fortunate enough to gain admission to one of the top 30-40 universities, just go to a cheap community college and save your money. Even some of the top schools aren't worth it if you aren't STEM, business or a specialized field.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

From what I understand a majority of the degrees offered by most colleges are actually irrelevant. That includes business degrees and most of the STEM degrees. I'm a year into a STEM degree and I still feel like I'm going nowhere.

You HAVE to have a degree to get through any corporate filters and an associates degree will get you nowhere. I'm just happy I found WGU and know that many people within the IT field see it as a respected field. That's how I found out about it.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

if someone lives in a poor part of the country they should try their hardest to move to another part of the country.
let me make your eyes roll in the back of your head when i say if Oprah did it as a poor black woman so can anyone.
not saying i would vote for her i just felt like a good laugh but seriously she is a good example for self determination.

one would argue without the influx of people (talent pool) from foreign countries silicon valley would not be as successful as it is now.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Hopefully US colleges will buck up and lower those ridiculous tuition fees. Sadly, even as expensive as college is in the US, from what I've heard, it's still cheaper than attending college in Canada.

posted on Jan, 9 2018 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

I didn't say you don't need to attend college, you just don't need to take on a ton of debt to do it. Again, unless you are fortunate enough to gain admission to one of the top 30-40 universities, just go to a cheap community college and save your money. Even some of the top schools aren't worth it if you aren't STEM, business or a specialized field.

got ya

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Trump's stand on immigration hasn't helped, but the flow of international students took a nosedive about 2 years ago due to circumstances unrelated to US politics.

First of all, the King Abdullah scholarship (partially started by George W) in Saudi Arabia used to be lavish: whatever major you want, for as long as you want, whatever school you want. Apparently, they didn't see return on investment, and when the last king died, they gutted it. Only specific majors are allowed at preferred schools. American universities had a sudden contraction in Saudi numbers.

Secondly, Brazil had a spectacular Engineering scholarship to study in the US under Dilma. When she was impeached, the scholarship was nixed. That was a huge blow. They'd been sending thousands of students...poof... gone.

I asked my Asian students what they thought of Trump. "He hates Asia," they replied. True or not, that was the unanimous perception. Australia and Canada are now getting the Korean, Japanese and Chinese students that used to have US universities as their first choice.

My former boss thought Trump was trying to drain money from US universities deliberately with his international policies. I think it's just a sad byproduct of xenophobia.

edit on 020182018k23112America/Chicagotham by Look2theSacredHeart because: spelling

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Good,they are american schools,so americans should attend,welcomming trend

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 06:15 AM
link   
The price the "USA has to pay for that robber baron capitalism behaviour:

American Students Moving To Europe For Free College

And many of them stay where they got educated, in Europe. Where you don´t have to be afraid to get shot by everybody you meet outsides. Where the society is not divided in the middle. Where education still is worth more than just to make the rich richer. Where there is oligarchy too, for sure, but not so excessive and "average" like in the "USA.

The "U"SA forces it´s uneducated, not rich younger people to flee from the "U"SA, just to get education. After they got educated and learned about the real world outsides of the "U"SA(and not as it is seen by their patriotic mass media in the "U"SA), why should they go back?

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 06:42 AM
link   
I have 2 primary thoughts on this

- nationalism needs checking. When combined with protectionism it needs leashing. Some of both are a virtue. To much of either is at best a failure and at worst a terror.

- the tertiary education system in the US is a sham. The rise of tuition simply covers debt service to pay for new construction that they charge you to use. It can be, and is, done cheaper elsewhere. But our protectionism. ..we dont observe many college level degrees and certifications from abroad. We cant even get schools to accept transfer credits consistently. Its a system that needs massive overhaul, and without it our economy will not remain competitive

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

That’s where the us is headed. Robber barons and serfs. We’re gonna make medieval fiefdom look like paradise.

posted on Jan, 10 2018 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Is it just me that wonders if anybody here slamming the value of a university education...actually has a degree?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join