It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's $1 billion Jupiter Probe Taking Unreal Photos of the Gas Planet

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+74 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
NASA's $1 billion Jupiter probe has taken mind-bending new photos of the gas giant
uk.businessinsider.com...-launched-juno-in-2011-and-it-t-took-nearly-five-years-fo r-the-probe-to-reach-jupiter-1

NASA's $1 billion Juno spacecraft completed its 10th high-speed trip around Jupiter on December 16.

The robot gets relatively close to the gas giant planet and takes new photos with its JunoCam instrument roughly every 53 days, while traveling at speeds up to 130,000 mph.

It can take days or sometimes weeks to receive the images, but the wait is worth it. The latest batch of photos features countless swirling, hallucinatory clouds and storms.

Researchers are trying to make sense of the gas giant's swirling mess of polar cloud formations, like these captured during Juno's tenth perijove.

The planet's many bands of cloud groups are also a scientific puzzle.

The spacecraft is the only one ever to fly above and below Jupiter's poles.

During each 53.5-day orbit, called a perijove, JunoCam records a new batch of photos.

Juno's orbit takes it far beyond Jupiter — then quickly and closely around the world — to minimize exposing electronics to the planet's harsh radiation.

NASA launched Juno in 2011, and it t took nearly five years for the probe to reach Jupiter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now this is really something! I have never seen such clear photos of this gas giant and those swirling bands of gas are truly spectacular!

To me, the first picture looks like a whole bunch of graffiti, but that's just me lol

I hope you guys are just as amazed at this as much as I am. For a $1B camera....these pictures are amazing. Now I wonder how much further this probe is going to travel and what other pictures it will send back!

edit on 6-1-2018 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Great and really unreal pics.
Thanks for the thread!

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Just food for thought here:

What if this gas giant's swirls are a product of something moving through the atmosphere, whether it be from the outside in or the inside out, such as spacecraft coming and going.

What if Jupiter is a moon factory, and each one it births leaves a swirl where it was excreted from?

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   
those are really great pics. amazing patterns!

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Stunning photos. Such beauty in the universe.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Amazing photographs. Never seen pictures so clear.

Those swirling clouds really fascinate me. Jupiter is a gas giant with hydrogen and helium convection cells. Given that these gases are ionized, then they would also generate and interact with electromagnetic fields, so as anything rises or falls, it would create a magnetic field and rotation.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   
And I wonder what the world inside the cloud

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Wow!

I wanna go to Jupiter.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: STEFANUSFendi
And I wonder what the world inside the cloud

I know right???

Even what the terrain looks like on the planet. But due to the extreme radiation from the planet I don't think we will really see that any time soon.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I love the pictures of the poles. Anyone have any insight as to why it is much more blue there than other regions?

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

I swear I have seen pictures exactly like that in some children's movies and other places. I wonder if these pics are like technology, as in decades behind. Very cool though!

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Those are beautiful primordial images of Jupiter...

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: UpsideDownWorld

you can buy stone spheres that look similar, maybe that is where you saw it? marvelous photos indeed.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

very unreal photos, neat colors.....but, where are the stars? did they photoshop them out?

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Great pics! Thanks for posting.

Makes me wonder if Vincent Van Gogh remote viewed Jupiter

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Thanks for posting, I hadn't seen these amazing images.
Gotta say though in a psych test my immediate reply would be damned souls trying to escape hell!

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: pointr97

very unreal photos, neat colors.....but, where are the stars? did they photoshop them out?

Well, I'm not positive but it's probably because it's going 130,000 mph and uses a very long exposure time for the camera.

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   
taking a photo of the planet on the SUN side you will not see stars any more then you see stars on earth during the day being in space does not change this .
Honestly I dont know why people have such a hard time understanding stars are dime the sun is bright and the light from it so intense no little blinky light can be seen space or plants you need to be in a shadow ( BLOCK the sun light to see stars )
when in SPACE sunlight is every ware NOT blocked by a planets shadow .

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Very, VERY, cool!!

Thanks for posting this!

Amazing!

posted on Jan, 6 2018 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Mind bendingly beautiful pics amazing can't believe it took 5 years to get there s+f

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join