It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chess master refuses to wear required saudi clothes, forfeits title

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2018 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Barcs

If you think her not attending will in any way affect the prospects of SA having future chess events or not then I think you are sadly naive. You think the chess organization chose SA for any other reason than SA paid a boat load of money to have the event held there? SA is under a major reformation of late.

I agree with you she has every right to protest. However, much like the incorrectly applied "protests" of the NFL players and their laziness with taking a knee...her protest was a hugely wasted opportunity. Too many people today take the very lazy approach of "protesting" by making a short lived-soon to be forgotten action. It shows the true laziness of people who fake caring about the trials and tribulations of others.

Let's see if she mounts an on-going campaign to bring awareness to her perceived mis-treatement of women in SA.

SA is a POS country? How many years have you spent inside their country and their culture?

posted on Jan, 4 2018 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Outlier13

I see what you're saying, but people standing up for what they believe and making a statement is far from lazy, in fact that's the opposite of lazy. They risked being looked down upon and judged by people and blackballed, to put a message out there. The flag protests were controversial, but they definitely got people talking about it and it influenced the NFL to set up a relations committee to work with players and law enforcement to repair bridges. People got super offended over it, but so what? That's how things get done in this country. Nonviolent protest.

I fully support what she did. She stuck it them hard, because they paid all that money to host a tournament and then the champion, who's supposed to be the biggest draw, no shows. To me, that's brilliant. It made them look stupid.
edit on 1 4 18 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

<< 7  8  9   >>

join