It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm old and I like Millennials

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I've had to hire some millennials.
I'm not to fond of the majority.
Gen X wasn't much better. Maybe not as bad would be better phrasing.
But I do think some will shine.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Yea and millennials called out the poor state of education for ridiculous amounts of money we have had to fork over for a piece of paper that we were told and guided to by previous generations to pursue and obtain.
Information is at our finger tips. And millennials talk, a lot, where this information is. I have a feeling in the next 10 years or so things will be looking up for society in the west. Or, perhaps things might come to a halt to fight for change.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Me too (including the Roy Moore way, if i run into one with daddy issues).

They are just the newest crop of people whose gee-whiz enthusiasm hasn't yet been corrupted by the vile prison society we've imposed on ourselves.

Decent, kind, inspirational, creative ideas have been injected into society these last few generations and are slowly taking root ...despite some fits and starts.

I find most I talk to are social, civil, ecologically and politically minded in a good way, rather than a stupid partisan puppet or a miserable snit waiting to die. Sure, they are way too addicted to their phones, but at least they use them to talk to each other and occasionally learn stuff.

They're certainly more interesting than older idiots who despair at making a better world and hate any humanity who dare to be different.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Millennials are more tech savvy, and in a way better educated than any generation before.

That was funny.

They can't even function without a smart phone in their hand and the internets.

I am also old, and I fear for the future.

Wussified to put it succinctly.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Millennials only get a bad rap because there will always be older people who complain about younger generations. Humanity has always had that and always will. Besides, if millennials are so bad, then that just means the Baby Boomers failed as parents, teachers, administrators, community leaders, business leaders, religious leaders, etc.

Plus, millennials don't control any aspect of society or the economy. Even the social media and new technologies that we're known for are largely owned and run by wealthy older investors and executives. Look at who owns and/or runs the largest banks, political action committees, political parties, lobbying firms, conglomerates, insurance providers, pharmaceutical companies, defense contractors & the rest of the MIC, etc.

I think a lot of the people who bash millennials are just trying to deflect blame from their own generations. If we're "bad", then wtf does that make them?

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Yes, I'm old and I like Millennials (not in a Roy Moore sort of way though)

I feel like Millennials have gotten a bad rap for simply not being like Gen X or Baby Boomers. Let's face it both of those generations had their share of problems and were brought up in two totally different times. Only time will tell, but I have a feeling this generation will leave a mark on history. I've talked to some Baby boomers that share the sentiment. We'll see.

I think many of them are socially thoughtful, intelligent and hardworking. They are big-picture, forward thinking kids that are articulate and want to make the world better, and many of them have at least some rudimentary idea about how they want to achieve that in real, visceral ways. When I was that age, I had no damn clue, I was a junkie, rebel without a clue, raging against machines and not caring that my little tantrums meant nothing, it was enough that I was having them. These kids are focused, self aware and SMART.

However, I will say that there is a significant subset of that population that not only has NO idea how to work but no idea how to think. There is no initiative in some of these kids, and it is all the way around. They can't clean up something if they see that it is dirty. They wait around for someone else to do it. They're like slack jawed automatons just waiting for someone to tell them what to do. It also seems to me that this latter category are usually from middle class up backgrounds.

It's a very strange dichotomy.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

originally posted by: amazing
Amen OP. MIllenials are also doing things new ways and disrupting our stale society. They all want to start their own businesses and use lift and uber instead of taxis etc. It's good. especially in the US where we're being led by 70 year old men with 70 year old ideas. Time to move on peeps.

LOL

Every generation is so full of themselves. This has to be the worst argument for being super-special and important that I ever read though.

Why is it an argument for being super important and super special?

All I'm saying is that most generations usher in a new age of something...new ideas, new music, new industries etc.

This generation are disruptive to standard industries. We need that. This generation doesn't watch cable TV, the don't use Taxis, They do everything with aps, they don't use Craigslist, They don't vote democrat or republican, they want electric cars and solar power and they're going to change things with their vote and their buying power. I see big changes coming in the next decade.

It's basically a cop out to say all Millennials are lazy, broke and unmotivated. All Teenagers are like that and have been for centuries. LOL Then they grow up and do things. We'll see.
edit on 14-12-2017 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
If we're "bad", then wtf does that make them?

Ah, there it is.

It makes you the same.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I just want them off of my lawn.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose.

EDIT: Which is to say, for every generation of civilization it was usually implied that because of advances in technology or philosophy or whatever, the next generation will have it better than the previous generation. Well, Millennials don't have that. Nobody is telling them that they'll have a bigger house or a better car or more kids or whatever it is people value. If you're lucky, you won't have it worse, but the chances are really high that you won't have it better. All those fantasies about cities of the future and immortality through medical science never came true.

How is a person supposed to deal with that? Give up? Change what is valued in society in general? I don't know. It's all improvisation from this point on.
edit on 14-12-2017 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

I find most I talk to are social, civil, ecologically and politically minded in a good way,

That and their college experience in being a community activist don't mean jack squat on their resume does it! Some aren't groomed like Obama to make a career being an activist to deconstruct the Constitution!

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

This generation are disruptive to standard industries. We need that. This generation doesn't watch cable TV, the don't use Taxis, They do everything with aps, they don't use Craigslist, They don't vote democrat or republican, they want electric cars and solar power and they're going to change things with their vote and their buying power. I see big changes coming in the next decade.

It's basically a cop out to say all Millennials are lazy, broke and unmotivated. All Teenagers are like that and have been for centuries. LOL Then they grow up and do things. We'll see.

Well, I never said that, so I didn't cop out.

And, yes, Millennials vote on party lines same as all the other generations. Voting stats don't lie.

Apps, Craigslist, electric cars, solar power....the generations before Millennials came up with all that stuff and we use that stuff, too.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   

And, yes, Millennials vote on party lines same as all the other generations. Voting stats don't lie.

Apps, Craigslist, electric cars, solar power....the generations before Millennials came up with all that stuff and we use that stuff, too.

Yeah but not to this extent. Gen X didn't have all of these aps or the new green technology that we have now.. When it comes to party lines, millennials are more likely to be a vote independent, Green or Libertarian. There are lot's of stats and analysis of Millennial politics. According to Politico...

...Half of millennials identify as independents up from 38 percent in 2004, according to a new poll.

These are the highest levels of political disaffiliation the the Pew Research Center has recorded for any generation in its 25 years of polling...

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Yeah but not to this extent. Gen X didn't have all of these aps or the new green technology that we have now.. When it comes to party lines, millennials are more likely to be a vote independent, Green or Libertarian. There are lot's of stats and analysis of Millennial politics. According to Politico...

...Half of millennials identify as independents up from 38 percent in 2004, according to a new poll.

These are the highest levels of political disaffiliation the the Pew Research Center has recorded for any generation in its 25 years of polling...

According to polling Hillary Clinton is our President! OH wait!!!!

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

According to polling Hillary Clinton is our President! OH wait!!!!

Pew Research has a pretty good, solid track record. But that's just one. Google it and you'll see some interesting trends with Millennials concerning third parties as well. They don't like entrenched politicians or our crooked two party system. Part of that is the fact that they aren't being brainwashed by mainstream media news pundits.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

According to actual voting stats, 90%+ of voters voted for a Republican or Democrat in ALL the elections.

Millennials may think they are super-special. But they aren't in practice. I don't care what Politico told you that made you feel better. I am an actual 'Unaffiliated' voter and I am actually not afraid of 'throwing away my vote' by not voting for either party or even voting, at all. I am Generation X.

(BTW, a 65 year old man founded Craigslist...I just looked it up. That was the generation before mine. Oh, and all the other things you mentioned were not ideas from Millennials. It's kind of terrible you want your generation to take credit for them though.)

edit on 12/14/2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 05:04 PM
link   

As the mother of 2 Millenials I have to say that too many people judge them as a group instead of as individuals. One is an uber-progressive, Bernie loving, protest joining, safe space promoting, whiney atheist snowflake. The other is an ultra-conservative, conspiracy loving, family orientated Christian. While they differ extremely in personality and lifestyles they are very much alike in that they are both hard working, Constitutional supporting, charity giving, educated (one through college, one through self-education) and either would give the shirt of their back for even a stranger in need.

I think at this stage in society we should all know that judging people by the group they were born into (whether age group, race, sexuality, gender, religion- whatever) is profiling and doing more harm to society than anything else. See people as the individuals that they are.
edit on 14-12-2017 by GeauxHomeYoureDrunk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 05:05 PM
link   

...and you don't think that the masses have been conditioned to be "who they are? Soft-kill food additives, poisonous hygiene products, environmental health hazards, social engineering constructs, biometric surveillance, BigPharma, reduced attention spans, the death of spirituality (beyond the material), etc...

edit on 14-12-2017 by eisegesis because: don't be a sheeple

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   

According to actual voting stats, 90%+ of voters voted for a Republican or Democrat in ALL the elections.

Millennials may think they are super-special. But they aren't in practice. I don't care what Politico told you that made you feel better. I am an actual 'Unaffiliated' voter and I am actually not afraid of 'throwing away my vote' by not voting for either party or even voting, at all. I am Generation X.

(BTW, a 65 year old man founded Craigslist...I just looked it up. That was the generation before mine. Oh, and all the other things you mentioned were not ideas from Millennials. It's kind of terrible you want your generation to take credit for them though.)

I think you're a little mixed up on what we're talking about here.

1st of all, Politico isn't making me feel better about myself that was an actually Pew Research poll. If you do some research you'll see a trend of Millennials going independent and supporting third party candidates.

2nd, I'm almost 50..not a millennial. I vote every election.

3rd, never said Millennials invented this stuff, just that they're using new technology and adapting to it faster than any generation before. So much so that, they're using apps instead of Craigslist, Tinder instead of dating sites, Uber and Lyft instead of Taxis, Renting instead of buying houses, starting businesses and side hustles at a higher rate than any other generation, They want Solar and Electric more than other generations. They are disrupting existing industries, like the Taxi companies, the Cable companies and restaurants.

posted on Dec, 14 2017 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

I did assume you are a Millennial, so I am sorry for assuming. (ETA: You must have felt so insulted...really sorry about that!

To me, you mentioned Politico, not Pew. And self-identifying as 'not Republican or Democrat' but voting strictly on party lines is not an admirable quality, IMO. I find it loathesome and spineless.

Also, I don't believe Millennials embrace and use technology at any special rate. Even my 96 year old grandfather used email and surfed the web before he died...8 years ago. Any generation with this kind of technology at their fingertips would make good use of it.

The Uber and Lyft stuff...it really makes me laugh. Sorry. I can't help it. It's like saying that Baby Boomers were special and full of promise because they used taxis.

edit on 12/14/2017 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join