It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who wrote the book of Revelation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Serious question, who wrote the Book of Revelation - The reason I ask is that last week I took part in a Tarot Card reading with the Angels Azazeal and Lucifer.Tarot with "The Devil and the Devil himself." It was a interesting evening where everybody had to draw a card in order to determine our futures.
I drew the two of cups,grand im working with Angels for the foreseeable future, can;t remember what Azazeal drew but Lucifer drew Aquarius, the Water Bearer.
Its taken me a good week to get my head around the significance of the card the Angel Lucifer drew.
Im not sure whether to welcome you to Light or to warn you about the possibility of Tom Waits tune Book of Moses being played full blast from the Heavens over Temple Mount.
www.youtube.com...
I feel like Jeremiah talking to Zedekiah
edit on 12-12-2017 by DpatC because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: DpatC

This is the revelation which God gave to Yeshua the Messiah, so that he could show his servants what must happen very soon. He communicated it by sending his angel to his servant Yochanan, who bore witness to the Word of God and to the testimony of Yeshua the Messiah, as much as he saw. Blessed are the reader and hearers of the words of this prophecy, provided they obey the things written in it! For the time is near!

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I've read a number of places that Revelation was written by John of Patmos, but I don't have the references at my fingertips to prove that. Infolurker, who is Yochanan? I never heard of him. Would you provide your references for him as the author?

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Elcabong

Its Yehohanan... or John

He just spelled it wrong

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 02:12 AM
link   
John Connor

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 02:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

This is the revelation which God gave to Yeshua the Messiah, so that he could show his servants what must happen very soon. He communicated it by sending his angel to his servant Yochanan, who bore witness to the Word of God and to the testimony of Yeshua the Messiah, as much as he saw. Blessed are the reader and hearers of the words of this prophecy, provided they obey the things written in it! For the time is near!

Essentially, what this poster is alluding to is PEOPLE wrote the book of Revelations, normal, fallible people..

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: djz3ro

Essentially, what this poster is alluding to is PEOPLE wrote the book of Revelations, normal, fallible people..

No, it is from the prologue of 'The Revelation of Jesus Christ', specifically it is Revelation 1:1-3. It addresses the authorship of the work. It clearly self-attributes it to Saint John the Revelator (Yohanan in Hebrew) who was imprisoned on the Greek Island of Patmos for his faith in Jesus Christ (Yeshua Hamashiach in Hebrew).

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Possibly,

someone about to die seeking revenge?

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 04:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

No, it is from the prologue of 'The Revelation of Jesus Christ', specifically it is Revelation 1:1-3. It addresses the authorship of the work. It clearly self-attributes it to Saint John the Revelator (Yohanan in Hebrew) who was imprisoned on the Greek Island of Patmos for his faith in Jesus Christ (Yeshua Hamashiach in Hebrew).

Saint or not, he was still a person.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: DpatC
Serious question, who wrote the Book of Revelation - The reason I ask is that last week I took part in a Tarot Card reading with the Angels Azazeal and Lucifer.Tarot with "The Devil and the Devil himself." It was a interesting evening where everybody had to draw a card in order to determine our futures.
I drew the two of cups,grand im working with Angels for the foreseeable future, can;t remember what Azazeal drew but Lucifer drew Aquarius, the Water Bearer.
Its taken me a good week to get my head around the significance of the card the Angel Lucifer drew.
Im not sure whether to welcome you to Light or to warn you about the possibility of Tom Waits tune Book of Moses being played full blast from the Heavens over Temple Mount.
www.youtube.com...
I feel like Jeremiah talking to Zedekiah

Why do you care who wrote the book of Revelation when you're playing with deceitful fallen angels to determine your future? It sounds like you're the one who needs to be warned.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 06:54 AM
link   
John..titor

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: anotherside

John titor isn't real

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Yep. Revelation is a pretty much just a slash fiction against the Roman Empire written as revenge for his imprisonment.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   
The composition and style used in Revelation doesn't match that of John's gospels in the least. Most scholars agree that Revelation is a pseudepigraphical work by an unknown author.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Wouldn't Lucifer or Azazel know? They were around back then.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Elcabong

John didn't get out of prison much.
This painting by Botticelli suggests there might have been a wall there.
There is math and probability involved in the drawing of cards.
Is it allowed that the true meaning of the book of Revelations be disclosed?

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Personally, I think that it was John Cena.

Nobody saw him do it, though.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Text The composition and style used in Revelation doesn't match that of John's gospels in the least. Most scholars agree that Revelation is a pseudepigraphical work by an unknown author.

Not according to my understanding. Most all early church authors believe that all five works accredited to John are by the same author. This include Polycarp of Smyrna of the second century.

In fact we can go back to Clement of Rome [AD 110] who was ordained by Peter and was a friend of both Peter and Paul and was a disciple of the Apostle John. Clement quotes Revelation 22:12 and sat at the feet of the Apostle John as his disciple. So in fact there was contemporary teaching after all of the Apostles had died.

In modern theology there are a few who do contest Revelation as accredited to John but these ax grinders are very few and without evidence. In comparison, any author between a span of 40 or 50 years will change style based upon his/her advanced knowledge and age. In fact there could be such a difference in penmanship as well as expression that you could never note the work as the same author. You then have the very difficult task of translation by different translators of perhaps 50 years apart. On top of all of this is the determination of what the autographs actually say and in what language they were written. We have not one fact to determine any of this without the autographs and we have not one autograph.

I personally believe that all five letters of John were written in Hebrew and or Aramaic and that the Greek used in translation may have been Koine and or a mixture of Koine and Classical Greek. There are too many variables to determine this by simply a a few biased scholars who should be free of opinion. If John wrote in Hebrew/Aramaic and it was then translated into Greek and then re translated into English then what do we actually have? We most certainly do not have the autographs that is for sure.

So then how can we believe what is true? Well we can't be certain but we can have a very good source of evidence that John did write all five of his works. We can read what the people of his era also write; Justin Martyr 110-165, Irenaeus 120-200, Tertullion 155-220, Clement of Alexandria 150-211, Ignatius 30-108, Origen 185-252, Hippolytus 170-236, and Eusebius 300-340. These men along with Clement of Rome is just the tip of the ice burg. We also have many other disciples who were disciples of the Apostles that can verify that John indeed wrote the Revelations of Jesus to John.

The literary evidence is too overwhelming in favor of all five works by the same man.

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Best-selling author and New Testament scholar Bart Ehrman says...
www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2017 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Yep. Revelation is a pretty much just a slash fiction against the Roman Empire written as revenge for his imprisonment.

It isn't specifically anti-Roman. Although as the last surviving disciple, because all the others were dead, mostly at the hands of Rome, who executed the other disciples in fairly horrific manner, I would grant it that he had reason to dislike and fear Rome.

But what about the letters to the seven churches discussing their failings and their good points?

And all that 'Book of Daniel' like apocalyptic prophecy which references things like the "the Abomination that Leads to Desolation", a legacy of Greek rule?

To write the book off so glibly might indicate that you don't actually know its full content.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join