It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-S.C. cop gets 20 years in prison for fatally shooting Walter Scott, an unarmed black man

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Remember, Michael Slager was the Charleston, SC cop who shot Walter Scott in the back, killing him, as the latter attempted to flea. This was caught on film.

Now, Slager was just found guilty of second degree murder and sentenced to 20 years in prison for the crime.

It's rare that a cop is found guilty or sees any prison time, but it looks like in this instance, finally justice has been served.

A federal judge in South Carolina on Thursday sentenced a former North Charleston police officer to 20 years in prison in the shooting death of an unarmed black motorist.

Earlier, U.S. district court judge David Norton ruled that former North Charleston police officer Michael Slager, 36, committed second-degree murder in the shooting of unarmed black motorist Walter Scott, opening the way for a lengthy prison sentence.

The ruling at a federal hearing addressed the underlying offense against Michael Slager, 36, for violating Scott's civil rights during a 2015 shooting. A bystander recorded the incident, in which Scott was hit five times from behind, sparking a national outcry.

Norton also ruled Thursday that Slager gave false testimony to authorities in the case. Slager's claim that Scott tried to use the Taser against the officer during the ordeal was contradicted by the video.

Thank goodness for video, even though video evidence in other cases have not had the same results.

Bo om
edit on 7-12-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Justice served, too bad this cop didn't know anything about justice while shooting this guy in the back like he did. I think 20 years is him getting off easy but something is better than nothing I guess.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence
Remember, Michael Slager was the Charleston, SC cop who shot Walter Scott in the back, killing him, as the latter attempted to flea. This was caught on film.

Now, Slager was just found guilty of second degree murder and sentenced to 20 years in prison for the crime.

It's rare that a cop is found guilty or sees any prison time, but it looks like in this instance, finally justice has been served.

A federal judge in South Carolina on Thursday sentenced a former North Charleston police officer to 20 years in prison in the shooting death of an unarmed black motorist.

Earlier, U.S. district court judge David Norton ruled that former North Charleston police officer Michael Slager, 36, committed second-degree murder in the shooting of unarmed black motorist Walter Scott, opening the way for a lengthy prison sentence.

The ruling at a federal hearing addressed the underlying offense against Michael Slager, 36, for violating Scott's civil rights during a 2015 shooting. A bystander recorded the incident, in which Scott was hit five times from behind, sparking a national outcry.

Norton also ruled Thursday that Slager gave false testimony to authorities in the case. Slager's claim that Scott tried to use the Taser against the officer during the ordeal was contradicted by the video.

Thank goodness for video, even though video evidence in other cases have not had the same results.

Bo om

Personally, I think it is a travesty of justice and politically motivated. Given all the Ls the SJW crowd has taken, they had to find someone guilty at some point.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

You are entitled to your opinion.

How is this a travesty? What should have happened to Slager?

Ls as is lawsuits? This was a criminal case, as in it was prosecuted by the government and he was found guilty by a judge.

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

Bo om

Personally, I think it is a travesty of justice and politically motivated. Given all the Ls the SJW crowd has taken, they had to find someone guilty at some point.

Personally, I think if a black man shot a police officer 5 times in the back he’d get the death penalty.

It’s interesting that you’d call this a win for “SJWs”...
As if they’d be the only people who find this murder to be despicable.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Genuine question; how is shooting someone who is unarmed, in the back, repeatedly, not murder?

I'm honestly curious about your rationale for saying this was politically motivated.
edit on 7-12-2017 by Indrasweb because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Bo om

I will admit to not knowing all the details of the case.

But I saw that video, and that cop looked very guilty to me.

Perhaps you can post some reasons you disagree.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

Bo om

Personally, I think if a black man shot a police officer 5 times in the back he’d get the death penalty.

It’s interesting that you’d call this a win for “SJWs”...
As if they’d be the only people who find this murder to be despicable.

Yeah I wouldnt call myself an SJW, but I am all for cops that break the law being held accountable.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Thank you for this info, OP. You are very caring and socially minded to take such an interest and wanting to inform others.

It is not going to do Walter any favors, nor family, nor friends. Too late for that now. Costs the state a lot to lose an officer and keep a guy in prison all that time. The former officer's family, friends and he also have a tarnished life because of all this; negative all round.

I am no fan of punishment because no amount of punishment can make good the taking away from this earth of a human being. Walter's opportunity for existence is gone forever as far as this life goes. I guess the magic word is deterrent; deterrent to others so they may think twice. Will they?

edit on 7-12-2017 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
If he serves even ten years I'll eat my own hat.
Doesn't count if another inmate takes him out, of course.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

If they get charged, if they go to trial, get found guilty , and sentenced, they usually get their sentences commuted after serving a short stretch. This will go unnoticed.

The only reason they had to follow thru this time, prosecute and sentence him was the video. That and the local pressure on the PD and gubment. The only reason there is video in the public realm is because it was taken by a "public", not the cops.

Waaay too much forensic evidence in the Public realm to ignore...

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

If they get charged, if they go to trial, get found guilty , and sentenced, they usually get their sentences commuted after serving a short stretch. This will go unnoticed.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this. Second degree murder is pretty serious, not to mention the 20 year sentence.

He'll serve quite a bit of time.

The only reason they had to follow thru this time, prosecute and sentence him was the video.

Yep. Thankfully, that video showed the officer lied. Had that video not existed, Slager likely would never have been charged.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

No, it does Walter no favors except remove the affront to justice had he not been charged or convicted for lying about murder.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
I think 20 years is him getting off easy but something is better than nothing I guess.

I personally think being a ex cop his time inside will be anything but peaceful, fairly certain a few of the boys will have something to say to him...

RA

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: slider1982

I think 20 years is him getting off easy but something is better than nothing I guess.

I personally think being a ex cop his time inside will be anything but peaceful, fairly certain a few of the boys will have something to say to him...

RA

LEOs are sequestered from the general population for that reason.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
If he serves even ten years I'll eat my own hat.
Doesn't count if another inmate takes him out, of course.

If memory serves, the federal prison system requires something like 80% of a sentence be served. That's "time off for good-behavior" though. Any time served before arriving at a federal prison is considered as part of the sentence. Plus there's likely going to be an appeal.

My money would be on if his sentence stays at 20 years, he'll do the standard 80%ish amount.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Shooting a guy in the back 5 times is called murder. Are you against a murderer being put in jail? It would be different if he was attacking the cop while being shot but running away? You have a weird sense of justice.
edit on 12/7/2017 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

originally posted by: slider1982

RA

LEOs are sequestered from the general population for that reason.

No they aren't. They may wind up in PC, but they generally start out in GP like everybody else. An effort is made to conceal their background, but that's about as far as it goes.

Slager will probably go straight to PC, since hiding his background will be essentially impossible.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

Bo om

I will admit to not knowing all the details of the case.

But I saw that video, and that cop looked very guilty to me.

Perhaps you can post some reasons you disagree.

Let me be clear so there is no confusion.

I am not arguing that Slager should have shot Walter Scott. However, I can see how it happened. As with all these cases, the "victim" creates a volatile situation that unfortunately ends up with them being shot/killed. My issue is the arm chair quarterbacking that later occurs as to what the police should or shouldn't have done in split seconds.

Court says Slager shouldn't have shot him. I can accept that. What I don't accept is that the entire situation warranted a 20 year sentence in light of the facts/context of the case.

Fact: Walter Scott ran from the officer and also assaulted the officer. This is not debatable as it is in the video. They were tussling on the ground / fighting. Walter Scott broke free at which point, Officer Slager fired striking him in the back. The taser was discharged while they were fighting.

I don't find it unreasonable to believe that the officer thought his life was in danger. If you look at the actual video, you see Scott appear to be reaching for Slager's taser or service weapon.

What is debatable is if the officer should have then fired. Video's don't always tell the whole story and the viewer's perspective is not the same as the actual person involved. Officers are also trained to fire center mass until the threat is down. They don't shoot people in the leg like in the movies to stop someone, so all the handwringing over the officer firing multiple shots isn't even relevant. That is what they are trained to do.

Where I am not as clear is some of the after effects with him picking up evidence and I suspect that may be what actually screwed him up in the case more than anything, but again, we don't know how people are going to react after going through that so I can't immediately chalk that up as being nefarious.

What I do know is that if I was a cop, I'd say screw it. I ain't chasing nobody. I ain't fighting no one. It ain't worth it with all the armchair quarterbacking. Apparently, cops are doing this which is why crime is through the rough in cities like Baltimore.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I don't find it unreasonable to believe that the officer thought his life was in danger.

When the guy is 20 feet away and also running away from you as you shoot him in the back multiple times, it is quite unreasonable.

The court agreed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join