It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-S.C. cop gets 20 years in prison for fatally shooting Walter Scott, an unarmed black man

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

The cop lied about the events in his police report, the video contradicts his statements about the incident. Why would he feel the need to lie if he felt like he was in the right?

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:17 PM
link   

What I do know is that if I was a cop, I'd say screw it. I ain't chasing nobody. I ain't fighting no one. It ain't worth it with all the armchair quarterbacking. Apparently, cops are doing this which is why crime is through the rough in cities like Baltimore

Just don't shoot unarmed people in the back, then lie about it and you'll be fine

edit on 7-12-2017 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

No they aren't. They may wind up in PC, but they generally start out in GP like everybody else. An effort is made to conceal their background, but that's about as far as it goes.

Depending on the prison, all prisoners are badgered about their crime to see if they are snitches, plants, whatever. The prisoners find out what they are in for or suspect them , a snitch label is a death sentence. I don't know which prison you are referring to, most of them have their own rules, a lot of them are 'run' by the inmates.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

The cop lied about the events in his police report, the video contradicts his statements about the incident. Why would he feel the need to lie if he felt like he was in the right?

Not only, in the video, he looks at the camera right after discharging his weapon, revealing he knew full well he had been 'caught on tape'.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

I don't find it unreasonable to believe that the officer thought his life was in danger.

When the guy is 20 feet away and also running away from you as you shoot him in the back multiple times, it is quite unreasonable.

The court agreed.

Courts aren't infallible and do a lot of things that are wrong. If the court saying something is all that matters, we'd still have segregation, women not voting, slavery, illegal abortions, and all manner of other things that society in general disagrees with.

To be frank, it is hard having these types of discussions because much like Trayvon, Mike Brown, etc so many people are so emotionally wedded and have so little knowledge of facts of the case that you can't have a reasonable disagreement. The also take these Utopian positions where every decision is made is perfect.

I stand by my position it was politically motivated. Remember, there was already a mistrial on this case earlier, so it obviously isn't as cut and dry.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I wasn't talking about a specific prison, which is why I didn't name one and then went a step further and said "generally start out..." in my comment.

"If he's infamous . . . we would have to place him in some sort of security confinement where he couldn't be harmed by anyone else," Langa said. "If they weren't known to the general inmate population, we merely would not reveal their past employment."

That statement comes from an executive at a federal prison so...I'm gonna go with what I said.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Remember, there was already a mistrial on this case earlier, so it obviously isn't as cut and dry.

There was a mistrial in a murder trial. Slager entered a guilty plea for deprivation of civil rights under color of law. His sentence was in line with sentencing guidelines when a death results when the aforementioned violation occurs.

so many people are so emotionally wedded and have so little knowledge of facts of the case

Indeed.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Courts aren't infallible and do a lot of things that are wrong. [...]The also take these Utopian positions where every decision is made is perfect.

Sometimes they make the wrong decision. Sometime they make the right decision, even though some disagree.

I stand by my position it was politically motivated.

Ahh, yes, a "witch hunt" against this officer who murdered a fleeing unarmed man by shooting him in the back. In this case, video showed that, and the cop lied about it.

Again, you are entitled to your opinion.
edit on 7-12-2017 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

"If they weren't known to the general inmate population, we merely would not reveal their past employment."

"Not known" like I said is grounds for labeling the newcomer a snitch, which like I said is a death sentence, potentially. The disruption this cause in the general population can be costly to prison admin to quell stabbings, riots from stabbings, etc.

They don't want it. To keep the peace prisoners are sequestered because of all sorts of reasons in what is called "PC" by the prison or "Protective Custody".

I donna care whadda so and so LEO rep says about it.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Bad cop. He needed to go to prison for shooting that guy. I could see him shooting him in the leg to decapacitate him, but the guy was not a risk, In his defense though, the Taser did not work, it is also the taser companies fault that he shot him. Maybe if he would have read the instructions, it would have worked.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Yay, justice was served....can we start standing during the anthem now?

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Prison administrators are LEO reps now? Interesting.

"Not known" like I said is grounds for labeling the newcomer a snitch, which like I said is a death sentence, potentially. The disruption this cause in the general population can be costly to prison admin to quell stabbings, riots from stabbings, etc. They don't want it. To keep the peace prisoners are sequestered because of all sorts of reasons in what is called "PC" by the prison or "Protective Custody".

Thanks for the explanation on how prisons are run. None of that really does anything to refute what people who actually work at the prisons and the ex-cop inmates have to say about it though, so I'm still gonna stick with what they all seem to agree on about it. Thanks again though.

edit on 7-12-2017 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Thankfully, it was served this time. If justice was served on more occasions than not in these instances, your point would be valid.

That said, you're free to stand. Others are free to kneel.

Welcome to America.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

"Not known" like I said is grounds for labeling the newcomer a snitch, which like I said is a death sentence, potentially. The disruption this cause in the general population can be costly to prison admin to quell stabbings, riots from stabbings, etc. They don't want it. To keep the peace prisoners are sequestered because of all sorts of reasons in what is called "PC" by the prison or "Protective Custody".

Thanks for the explanation on how prisons are run. None of that really does anything to refute what people who actually work at the prisons and the ex-cop inmates have to say about it though, so I'm still gonna stick with what they all seem to agree on about it. Thanks again though.

A childhood friend who is an ex-cop is doing Fed time (drug offense). He is in GP. He said you don't advertise it, but the other inmates will dox you, so no point in denying it or hiding it. He also told me he has run into guys he knew from the streets while he was a cop. He hasn't had any problems. It just depends on what you are in for, your reputation, the actual prison, etc. Someone like Slager will almost certainly be in PC though given the notoriety.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

Personally, I think if a black man shot a police officer 5 times in the back he’d get the death penalty.

It’s interesting that you’d call this a win for “SJWs”...
As if they’d be the only people who find this murder to be despicable.

I would think anyone shooting a cop in the back 5 times would get the death penalty. The problem is anything a cop does is "in the line of duty" and that is very hard to overcome in these cases that scream gross negligence all the way to outright murder. Just like the kid shot by police because he had a toy gun and the cop open fire about 1/2 second after screaming to a stop 15 feet away. I don't understand how this is not so gross negligence that jail time should be the case, but the court just needs to rule that if the cop feels the least bit threaten its OK then...

Just damn hard to fight any of that, so yes this is a win.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Not the "Justice System"?

Divide and conquer when it suits them / you.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod

Just don't shoot unarmed people in the back, then lie about it and you'll be fine

Also, wasn't he just pulled over for a break light out? If a guy just shot someone etc..ya go ahead shoot him in the back, but I think this was a break light, and the guy might have had a traffic warrant out on him.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Just like the kid shot by police because he had a toy gun and the cop open fire about 1/2 second after screaming to a stop 15 feet away.

The difference was in the video. At night, grainy too far to see any detail, as opposed to broad daylight, in the back, unarmed man running away, planting evidence, all caught clearly on tape.

it is impossible to deny, therefore they had to prosecute, were forced to convict, must pronounce sentence.

In a year and a half when he's released it will be downplayed and forgotten , just like every other social media injustice, no thanks to the Main Scream Socialites that infest the Interwebz.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Sad it even happened and someone got killed. Justice was fair if not quick.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Is this the part where you say random things and act like you've made a point?

I really have no idea what would be gained by an ex-cop by him giving an interview saying he was in GP until somebody recognized him and then he went into PC. Nor do I have any idea what a prison administrator would have to gain by lying about putting ex-cops in GP until there's a reason to move them in to PC.

If you want to believe that every ex-cop immediately gets put into PC, all the time, in every prison, then...okay? Super

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join