It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bitcoin: $64m in cryptocurrency stolen in 'sophisticated' hack, exchange says

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: seentoomuch

Their site verified my bank account with a couple of dollar charges, once verified I entered the amount to be moved to the USD wallet and the amount showed up immediately in the wallet for use. As I ordered the bitcoin, ethereum and litecoin the balance in the USD wallet went down accordingly. I zeroed it out basically

There's your problem.

Just because the deposit show didn't mean it cleared.

As I said THAT usually takes a week.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

No, if you verify your account it is supposed to be usable immediately. And the USD wallet's balance went down with each purchase, it was active.

STM

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   

No, if you verify your account it is supposed to be usable immediately.

No.

Especially with $3,000.

Any deposit made to USD Wallet takes a week before it can be used.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I'm not sure about the USD Wallet because I havn't used it. However it sounds like you were approving the charges from your bank account, thus the two figure identifier, to buying your crypto.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   

That's nice, but I don't know you

You are correct that it offers higher buying limits. No one I know has been particularly interested to that extent though.

Its a matter of waiting for specific factors to come into play, and having more promising opportunities.

The only issue there has been with coinbase is that recurring buy feature, so I mentioned it. It wasn't large, but I could see a pretty big surprise for someone if they accidentally did it!

I actually really do like their site. I feel its well designed, easy to use, and aesthetically pleasing even though its been a little wonky sometimes. Either way, I seem to dread having to call support nowadays though, any support.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Maybe that is it? I don't know for sure as I can't communicate with anyone at Coinbase. All I know is it said to put money in the USD wallet or there would be a 750.00 limit on purchases. I followed the instructions, I used the USD wallet as payment not my bank account and the balance in the wallet went down with each purchase from it.

STM

edit on 8-12-2017 by seentoomuch because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I've sent detailed emails, I've twittered politely, and I've called. I've been getting a recording all day saying to try back later. The email responses are just automated general responses on different topics, the twitter has had no response.

Just on a lark I just dialed the number again and I'm on hold, I'll keep you posted.

STM

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Might want to check out poloniex.

None of the hassle of coinbase.

It's an exchange that offers a lot more, and just get a hardware wallet.

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Shall do. I was on the phone holding for Coinbase support and after 40 minutes a recording came on and said more or less, closed for the day. I'll keep trying and thanks for the Poloniex tip.

STM

posted on Dec, 8 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   

It really is instant.

Identity verification is really nothing more than upload a DL.

Tier one is a withdrawl limit of $7 grand a day.

I use both and keep small amounts on it to play around with.

Think I am going to get a hardware wallet soon and kick coinbase to the curb.

posted on Dec, 9 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

They reached into my bank account with 3 extra ACH charges which doubled the thousands I had agreed to send them for my purchases. Doubled. Thousands of dollars. Now they've frozen the USD wallet with thousands in it and it is under review which according to the other people who can't get their money out means forever. And now I find there is no way to communicate with them, it's all automated.

Did you exceed your buy limit?

I believe the limits were once set at 50K. I don't know what they are set at now.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I had no idea APMEX accepted bitcoin.

I was just checking out bullion and they take it.

posted on Dec, 10 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

Well I have researched enough to know buying into BitCoin is a credit preservation system that adjusts in real time to all currencies and value when bought at the time.

So when inflation occurs on USD and Federal Reserve just prints more money to devalue Petro Dollar in General then what?

Depends on the strength of the Intrinsic value of the current market and what people are really creating and purchasing. For the most part BitCoin adjusting in real time with allocated computer power and new buyers only reveals how much USD Petro-Dollar is really worth with the growing value in Bit-Coin when bought into at time of Purchase.
Despite Manipulation and Deceit anything more Secure would be an actual Master Bit-Coin Banking Card that could not be easily reproduced.

The Master Bit Coin Card could be self powered with a HI-Fi Hot-Spot Technology.
The Master Hot-Spot Card is Self Powered by Photovoltaic film double sided and plugged into very thin re-chargeable battery and coil that has it's own smart chip.

The Chip same as Cell Phones has Identification, Social Security and Banking Information that like Walkie Talkies can up-link to retailer or machines before checkout revealing picture and name with 3 Security Questions.
Also through VISA GPS CHIP Tech and New Tech like Money Mapping can store locations and purchases in a Data-Base revealing algo-rhythmic relationships between purchases liquid/physical/transfers and reveal authentication of Master Bit Coin Card which also reads BIo-Metrics too.

That would be really Secure For Bit Coin or Smart Crypto Currency Markets to Hop On Board. Av Very Secure Card in Relationship to Information stolen from owner when out of bounds from Master Card any purchases would instantly scramble and alert authorities to the Imposter Purchasing location and Denied Funds Transfer.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Update:

I just received an email from Coinbase that wasn't automated and it said that they might've made a mistake and they apologize if they did. They're returning my USD wallet amount which had been frozen to my bank account. They also said the transaction might've lost me profit, which it did and they apologized once again.

I count myself lucky to even get my initial investment back from them at this point, so lesson learned, hard wallet, Poloniex. If the price drops again, right now it's too high.

STM

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
Can’t they just trace the block chains that were stolen ??? And won’t they come up as such?

Not really. Just change it into a different crypto coin..

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist
a reply to: MindBodySpiritComplex

The thing I don't get though is what can these hackers do with bitcoin? They can't resell it can they? Not if it's traced? They would have to spend it and also would have to use fake accounts most likely to spend it. Just speculating here.

Launder it like any currency.

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Oh my gosh, I can't believe Coinbase sent you such a ridiculous email!!

They might've mistakenly charged you twice for the crypto-currency they neglected to even purchase for you, and they're sorry if you 'might've' lost any profit...?!?

So typical of business these days - no one will accept accountability, even when they are quite clearly accountable...

I don't have any investments with Coinbase, but if I did...

....I think I'd have to close my account with them just on principle - after reading your experience and their subsequent response!

posted on Dec, 11 2017 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Glad you got it worked out STM.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join